PDA

View Full Version : waterproof/ resistant shoes

NLaeger
01-31-2013, 22:35
I'm starting my thru the end of march and plan on wearing trail runners. The ones that work for me also have a water resistant/proof model. I'm wondering if its worth getting these for the beginning of the thru and then switching out to the normal ones later down the trail...

Blissful
01-31-2013, 23:04
It doesn't matter whether they are waterproof or not. Your feet will get wet regardless. Without the extra lining they will dry faster.

MuddyWaters
01-31-2013, 23:22
Are you afraid to get your feet wet?
They will be wet with sweat if you wear waterproof shoes anyway.
Hot, and sweaty, = blisters.

If you want protection in very cold, wet conditions, get goretex socks. 3oz. Wear them when needed.
Not needed unless temps really below mid 30s IMO
Bread bags also work.

NLaeger
01-31-2013, 23:30
No I'm not afraid to get my feet wet. I was just wondering if it was worth it or not...I'm just trying to do whatever it takes to keep my feet as healthy and happy as possible!

leaftye
01-31-2013, 23:54
On drier bits of trail, they'll keep your feet cleaner. That's about the only benefit.

Water will get in from the top when it rains or you cross creeks, and the waterproof membrane won't allow liquid water to pass through it. Some people sweat too much for the waterproof membrane to handle, although others do just fine. Eventually the waterproof membrane will probably fail prematurely...it's a thin plastic bag you're using inside your shoe for hundreds of hard miles after all.

moldy
02-01-2013, 10:44
It's not worth it. The water proof or resistant footwear for hiking does not work for very long. On a thru-hike your feet will get wet no matter what you do. On a section hike I can keep my feet dry for the first 2 days of rain if I don't walk in puddles. That's with so called waterproof leather boots that I treat with beeswax.

bear bag hanger
02-01-2013, 11:44
The biggest problem with waterproof shoes is they tend to keep moisture in, not out. Not sure about water resistant shoes, I guess it depends on how water resistant they are. The need is to get water out of your shoes and anything that keeps water out will also keep water or other moisture inside your shoe.

Tree Nerd
02-01-2013, 11:55
the water proofing wears out, they cost more, they are heavier, less breathable, take longer to dry....everything everyone has been saying just repeated from my experience.

If you want your feet to stay healthy take them out of your shoes and socks as much as possible and change your socks regularly with clean, dry socks.

tds1195
02-01-2013, 12:22
I like my waterproof shoes for weekend hikes or shorter. They're good..just make sure to switch socks more often so your feet are always dry. It is nice to be able to cross a small creek or step in puddles worry free, though.

RockDoc
02-01-2013, 15:18
You'll find that you take a lot more town breaks if you get your trail runners soaked, and they don't dry out because they are "waterproof". I wore stout hiking boots and did not need to take the emergency town breaks due to soaking wet shoes, I just kept on hiking. Shucks, I missed Gatlinburg because I didn't have an emergency reason to go there!

ChuckBrown
02-01-2013, 17:31
I have used vasque gtx, gortex, boots for a long time. I love them. I went thru three pairs of Clarion GTX on a GA to ME hike.
I currently wear the wasatch.

Sensei
02-08-2013, 22:51
This was one of my toughest decisions before my thru. Everyone at every outfitter I went to said it would be crazy to hike the AT without waterproof shoes. They were wrong. For me, waterproof shoes = blisters, breathable shoes = happy feet. It is true that more dirt will get into your shoes, but IMO dirt is easier to get out of a shoe than moisture.