PDA

View Full Version : Seam Seal?

swantekkie
01-31-2013, 22:59
Has anyone used Coghlans seam seal on silnylon? I have a fresh tube and if i can get away without making some homemade seam seal i would be happy.
:banana​

The Snowman
02-01-2013, 19:49
Its not for use on silnylon.

StubbleJumper
02-01-2013, 21:26
Has anyone used Coghlans seam seal on silnylon? I have a fresh tube and if i can get away without making some homemade seam seal i would be happy.
:banana​

I have a TarpTent, so i just use Henry Shires' advice which I've copied below:

All seams over your living space should be sealed. Silicone is the only material that will stick to the fabric. Urethane sealer will flake off. An inexpensive product that works well is GE Silicone II clear sealer/glue. It is available as a squeeze tube in most US hardware stores or in the Tarptent Store. Set up the tent ouside in a well-ventilated location. Mix about a tablespoon of silicone with a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits(paint thinner) and then apply the solution with a small foam brush. Add more mineral spirits if the solution gets too thick. The goal is heavy olive oil consistency. Avoid skin contact and breathing fumes. Please refer to the seam-sealing video (http://www.tarptent.com/ttvideos.html#seamseal) to see the full procedure. We also offer seam-sealing as a service ($25) if you would like. Please contact us for instructions how to include seam-sealing with your order.

Don H
02-01-2013, 22:10
Regular sealer will peel off and make a mess. Don't ask me how I know this:(

beachbunny
02-01-2013, 22:20
+1 on the GE route , worked great for me