PDA

View Full Version : Making fires on the trail? Good or Bad?

atbound2013
02-01-2013, 03:24
What is y'all's opinion on making small camp fires? In my minds eye it seems like a good way to dry out wet clothes and warm up. Is it leagal to have fires at the shelters, or anywhere else we might find ourselves camping at night? I'm asking because when I've reviewed gear lists of other thru-hikers I never see matches, lighters or wet fire, ect..Also the two books I've read on personal accounts of hiking the AT never mntion it. Your replies are appreciated! Thanks.

Mountain Mike
02-01-2013, 03:38
Most shelters have fire rings & early season fires are pretty common. Up in NJ, CT, they are banned completely & maybe a few other states & some locations. Most hikers don't list lighters as part of their cooking gear, but they need some way to light their stoves. As it get warmer and you have your hiking legs you tend to hike longer days & a fire is a rare. Most hikers don't want the weight of a saw so finding dead & down wood to fuel a fire takes a lot of time. Especially in heavy use section such as GA.

JAK
02-01-2013, 03:55
I say obey the rules, and regardless of the rules don't start a forest fire. I also try not to leave unsightly marks where others would see it, so I use a hobo stove with a ground pad of some sort. In winter I would be prepared to make a bigger fire if I fell though ice or go hit with -20F or something like that. Silly not to be able to if when you needed to.

JAK
02-01-2013, 03:59
I carry a 1 pound hatchet in winter. In spring/fall the blade of a garden saw and a knife. In summer a knife.

leaftye
02-01-2013, 05:51
It's mostly a waste of time and every time I've sat next to a small camp fire on a cold night, I've ended up colder. It'd be nice for nero and zero days though.

nitewalker
02-01-2013, 06:41
when i did georgia there was a fire every nite that i was on the trail. it seemed every group out there had one going. once out of georgia the fires were far and few between. if your going to light a fire make sure it is contained, not too large and use only downed dead wood and before moving on make sure it is out. use water on it if possible and if not seperate the coals some and put a large rock rite on top of coals to keep from blowing around...too me a fire is fine as long as you know how to keep it a safe and smart fire....

daddytwosticks
02-01-2013, 08:16
The novelty wears off quickly, even on a section hike. Too much work at the end of a hard day. Now if someone else has built a fire...:)

The Cleaner
02-01-2013, 08:30
I agree with daddytwosticks,after a long hiking day it's a lot of work to gather enough wood at most shelters& well used campsites.Drying clothes by a fire is hard too,more like well done to slightly charred is what happens.Also some hikers tend to put litter in a fire, sometimes it does not burn completely leaving a mess in the firepit for others to look at.....

Starchild
02-01-2013, 08:52
The novelty wears off quickly, even on a section hike. Too much work at the end of a hard day. Now if someone else has built a fire...:)
Another agree

If you are hiking in a group fire becomes easier as one fire will serve the group, but if alone it is a big time/energy expenditure that is not dividable among people nor are other tasks that need to be done able to be shared with a person dedicated to making fire.

Peace

JAK
02-01-2013, 08:55
When hiking solo you can build a smaller fire. It takes less work, gives you something to do, and it keeps you company.

MDSection12
02-01-2013, 09:19
Almost every single time I've arrived at a shelter after dark there has been a group already there with a fire going. Always a pleasant surprise. :)

Rasty
02-01-2013, 09:48
Hiking solo I don't bother. Hiking with the kids it is expected.

HikerMom58
02-01-2013, 10:15
Hiking solo I don't bother. Hiking with the kids it is expected.

If only mittens could talk... I like fire.

I really do like a fire but I have trouble starting one myself, sometimes. A few extra packs of hot chocolate, for bribery purposes, at a shelter works well. A trail name Firestarter was born for that reason :D

Monkeywrench
02-01-2013, 10:17

That's me. I'm far too lazy to build a fire, but if someone else does I'll gladly sit by it!

Pedaling Fool
02-01-2013, 10:28
I always make fires, don't listen to the people that bad-talk fires, they're usually the first ones to come sit around it after your labor.

Wise Old Owl
02-01-2013, 10:28
Too Lazy? wow..... I watched a bunch of dad's at a father son outing struggle with getting one going, So I went back up the parking lot and picked something up and returned and when they gave up on the matches.... I pulled out a Propane Cylinder and a Plumbers torch.... pulled the trigger...

Tipi Walter
02-01-2013, 10:29
It's mostly a waste of time and every time I've sat next to a small camp fire on a cold night, I've ended up colder. It'd be nice for nero and zero days though.

Totally agree with this. I never build a fire on my solo trips and 99% of my trips are solo. The warmest place to be on a winter trip is either hiking under load up a mountain or inside my tent atop my Exped downmat and wrapped in my down parka and sleeping bag. Much warmer than any fire. Plus a fire tends to throw hot ashes onto my down pants and jacket and onto my nearby Hilleberg tent, a big no-no.

when i did georgia there was a fire every nite that i was on the trail. it seemed every group out there had one going. once out of georgia the fires were far and few between. if your going to light a fire make sure it is contained, not too large and use only downed dead wood and before moving on make sure it is out. use water on it if possible and if not seperate the coals some and put a large rock rite on top of coals to keep from blowing around...too me a fire is fine as long as you know how to keep it a safe and smart fire....

Too many times I have seen campfires become bonfires as the chortling no-count camping motards consider a trip incomplete unless they have a giant frat-party fire with the usual grab-assing. No matter how windy it is or how dry it is, there are a large percentage of backpackers who demand a fire no matter what and never once consider the conditions. So, if I am camped near a fire ring and expect others to come in, I stake out my spot and put my hiking pole in the center of the firepit or hang my gear around it to let them know my camp and my firepit is off limits to their flame madness. When my dog was around I would leash him next to the firepit which kept others away.

Occasionally I scatter fire rings and throw the rocks far away.

How many times have I come up on an still burning fire with the campers long gone? Many times. This is the most amazing thing of all.

And then there's the idiots who burn an all-night fire and leave wet shirts and a loaf of wet bread and beer cans and several hot dogs right on top of the smoldering fire thinking it all will burn up as they are long gone and on the road back home. Pieces of work.

moldy
02-01-2013, 10:31
I always try to make a fire if it's dry. In forest fire conditions I don't make one. In National parks where the have park rangers I only make a fire in the right place. The rest of the trail I play it by ear.

HikerMom58
02-01-2013, 11:08
Wow, such a range of experiences with building a fire... it's funny that the OP used the words "good" or "bad". Well, there you have it. Sometimes it can be good (my experience) or sometimes bad. (I don't doubt it one bit)

I don't believe in stereotyping tho so just b/c you've had a bad experience with backpackers several times doesn't mean they will all be like that, forever and ever, amen. If I rolled into a camp site and Tipi had his stuff in a "common" fire ring I would politely ask him to remove it. I would not be willing to pay for the sins of others, revisited. I do not agree with scattering fire rings... that's just wrong.

Tipi Walter
02-01-2013, 11:25
I don't believe in stereotyping tho so just b/c you've had a bad experience with backpackers several times doesn't mean they will all be like that, forever and ever, amen. If I rolled into a camp site and Tipi had his stuff in a "common" fire ring I would politely ask him to remove it. I would not be willing to pay for the sins of others, revisited. I do not agree with scattering fire rings... that's just wrong.

What is a common fire ring? The only common fire ring I can think of is by the AT shelters. All the other places I camp have separate campsites with either one fire pit with a tentsite and a half dozen sites scattered around it with their own small fire rings or a regular small campsite with its own fire ring. It's called "First Come, First Dibs", cuz if I get there first and set up by the fire ring, others will have to find their own spot away from me. The AT shelters are a different story and anything goes.

Now, I've seen backpackers and small groups glom onto another person's site and take it over but this is rude and bad manners. One time I saw two backpackers set up in their own camp with their fire ring and a group of Sierra Clubbers came over with the intent of getting their spot and actually told them they would be using their campsite and their fire ring, not having the common decency of moving on and finding their own site. There are hundreds of campsites on thousands of acres---go find your own. Only in the Smokies do they tell you where to camp, everywhere else you're on your own and can make a camp wherever you want, even on most of the AT.

And once you're there others will either be invited in or have to move on.

Sarcasm the elf
02-01-2013, 11:42
Most shelters have fire rings & early season fires are pretty common. Up in NJ, CT, they are banned completely & maybe a few other states & some locations. Most hikers don't list lighters as part of their cooking gear, but they need some way to light their stoves. As it get warmer and you have your hiking legs you tend to hike longer days & a fire is a rare. Most hikers don't want the weight of a saw so finding dead & down wood to fuel a fire takes a lot of time. Especially in heavy use section such as GA.This. I used to love campfires when I was a kid, but I've grown tired of the effort and the smoke smell clinging my gear. I don't fault folks for liking them, just be responsible about it. On the subject of Tipi Walter's complaints, never make a fire closer than 15-20 feet from where anybody's tent or shelter is setup. Burning pashes can and frequently do get blown around this far and will quickly burn a hole in any piece of synthetic/nylon gear that they land on, it's very easy to ruin a good night.

HikerMom58
02-01-2013, 11:44
What is a common fire ring? The only common fire ring I can think of is by the AT shelters. All the other places I camp have separate campsites with either one fire pit with a tentsite and a half dozen sites scattered around it with their own small fire rings or a regular small campsite with its own fire ring. It's called "First Come, First Dibs", cuz if I get there first and set up by the fire ring, others will have to find their own spot away from me. The AT shelters are a different story and anything goes.

Now, I've seen backpackers and small groups glom onto another person's site and take it over but this is rude and bad manners. One time I saw two backpackers set up in their own camp with their fire ring and a group of Sierra Clubbers came over with the intent of getting their spot and actually told them they would be using their campsite and their fire ring, not having the common decency of moving on and finding their own site. There are hundreds of campsites on thousands of acres---go find your own. Only in the Smokies do they tell you where to camp, everywhere else you're on your own and can make a camp wherever you want, even on most of the AT.

Tipi... I don't know about campsites other than the campsites I've seen on the AT. So, that's why I said "common" fire ring. From what I've seen, everyone seems to share 1 fire ring in the campsites I've seen. I'm not against you claiming your space and fire ring for yourself, if that's the way it's set up. But, your post came across differently for some reason.

I was just trying to make the point that you seem jaded towards people building a fire, period. You're OK. ;>) I do believe in being responsible for any fire that you build in the woods. The other posts have clearly stated my feelings on the subject very well. nitewalker said it perfectly.

Mountain Mike
02-01-2013, 11:52
Common fire rings are fine & kind a built in thing at shelters, I think what Tipi is talking about is back country fire rings. Make them to be safe but after fire is out. Leave no trace. kick the stones away let grass grow back up.

Tree Nerd
02-01-2013, 12:07
I love fires and I'm good at making them but I am sure it will get old during my thru. I am bringing along a wood burning stove for my thru, that should keep me entertained as far as fires go.

Slo-go'en
02-01-2013, 14:53
I do not agree with scattering fire rings... that's just wrong.

Whats wrong is the places some people make fire rings. If I find a fire ring in an inapproperate place, I'll distroy it and try to obscure its signs so others won't think it's okay to build a fire there. But I guess it was nice of who ever make the fire ring to do so, instead of just building a totally uncontained fire.

Using a well established fire ring at a well established camp site is one thing, making new fire rings randomly along the trail is not.

RockDoc
02-01-2013, 15:11
Only if it's cold and you really need the warmth. And then make only a small fire.

I've seen pyromaniac children (and adults) burn up everything in sight. My thought was that if a person arrived the next evening soaking wet in an emergency situation they would find no wood, and at the very least have a very miserable cold night (hike enough and this will happen to you!).

People have died of hypothermia on the AT, a man died in a shelter in GSNP last week. Was there any wood for a fire thoughtfully stockpiled for the next person (as is required in PATC cabins)? I doubt it.

WingedMonkey
02-01-2013, 15:19
Only if it's cold and you really need the warmth. And then make only a small fire.

I've seen pyromaniac children (and adults) burn up everything in sight. My thought was that if a person arrived the next evening soaking wet in an emergency situation they would find no wood, and at the very least have a very miserable cold night (hike enough and this will happen to you!).

People have died of hypothermia on the AT, a man died in a shelter in GSNP last week. Was there any wood for a fire thoughtfully stockpiled for the next person (as is required in PATC cabins)? I doubt it.

Did you see a news report of cause of death that would lead you to believe he died of hypothermia?

Blue Mountain Edward
02-01-2013, 15:24
I seen fires left burning on the trail during hot dry weather.Scattered a few stone fire rings. There are a few burned areas in PA right on the trail. If you are not near a water source you should not start a campfire. Only you can prevent forest fires. Just use a stove and be safe.

Blissful
02-01-2013, 15:26
My take on campfires (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2012/06/campfire-talk.html) on my hiking blog, esp what I saw as a ridgerunner.

Practice Leave No Trace with campfires.

Alligator
02-01-2013, 15:31

People have died of hypothermia on the AT, a man died in a shelter in GSNP last week. Was there any wood for a fire thoughtfully stockpiled for the next person (as is required in PATC cabins)? I doubt it.It would be best to have zero expectation to arrive at a shelter on the AT and have wood available right there. Aiming for that could be fatal in and of itself.

Building a fire when hypothermic is not the best first solution. Get out of wet clothes and into dry ones, get in your sleeping bag, eat quick warming calories. If you have lost all those things, then go the fire route. Too much time lost building a fire.

Drying clothes by fire is difficult to do, and I don't recommend it at all for boots. What I find works is to slip on a damp piece of clothing mixed in with dry stuff and overheat yourself near the fire. Your body heat will dry synthetics out. I will do this with a hiking shirt. The fire is extra heat this can be done with just enough warm camp clothes. It depends on how wet the item is.

I generally build a fire every couple of days out. It's not a nightly thing, depends a lot on the conditions. I always pack enough clothes to sit out without the fire.

HikerMom58
02-01-2013, 16:22
Whats wrong is the places some people make fire rings. If I find a fire ring in an inapproperate place, I'll distroy it and try to obscure its signs so others won't think it's okay to build a fire there. But I guess it was nice of who ever make the fire ring to do so, instead of just building a totally uncontained fire.

Using a well established fire ring at a well established camp site is one thing, making new fire rings randomly along the trail is not.

Thanks for explaining this to me, Slo-go'en. What you are saying makes sense to me. I just thought that Tipi was going around destroying fire rings because he personally doesn't like them and/or had bad experiences with other people starting them. I understand now and thanks. :-)

daddytwosticks
02-01-2013, 17:06
...don't forget, as Les Stroud says, a campfire will also scare away the boogyman if you are all alone on a spooky night. :)

m_factor
02-01-2013, 17:07
I'm with those that enjoy fires others build but I don't build any myself. I carry a lightweight stove for cooking.

If you're contemplating building a fire, keep in mind the impact burning wood will have on the area. Downed wood, left to rot, returns nutrients to the soil necessary for the forest to regenerate. Popular areas such as along the trail in Georgia, the Smokeys, Shenandoah, the Long Trail, and the Whites are the best places to refrain from having fires unless absolutely necessary.

During my 1999 thruhike, we had fires in Georgia every night - forest fires. We had ash raining down on us at times. At night, we could see rings of fires burning the edges of fires on nearby hills. During the day, we would walk through rancid blackened forests watching helicopters with huge water buckets flying to and from the fires. Needless to say, please pay attention to conditions before having a fire.

Windy and dry conditions are definitely not the time to have fires.

As for keeping fires small, that's always a good idea. It's often a bit harder to do when others start contributing to your small fire. Then there's always the yahoo who brings a large log over and sticks one end in. It makes it harder to put the fire out. And please, always but your fire out. Cold out. If it's not out and the wind whips up, sparks can fly - even if the "fire" was out when you went to sleep or left the fire in the morning.

Pedaling Fool
02-01-2013, 17:55
If you think about it, the overwhelming majority of hikers "build" fires. It's just that some use wood and others use fossil fuels -- or in my case, both;).

So if one is concerned about the environment, maybe you should consider being one of them hikers that eat cold meals for their entire hike. Me, I say the hell with the environment I'm eating a hot meal and hot coffee:)

msupple
02-01-2013, 18:23
I love fires and I'm good at making them but I am sure it will get old during my thru. I am bringing along a wood burning stove for my thru, that should keep me entertained as far as fires go.

I also use a wood burning stove and that's my solution to the whole fire thing. Once I'm finished boiling water I remove my pot and stick some larger pieces of wood in the stove and commence to have a sweet little mini self contained campfire. You'd be surprised how much heat and ambiance it puts out while burning very little wood. I let it burn down to a fine ash, make sure it's out and scatter it to the wind. You'd never know I was there.

Cat in the Hat

Drybones
02-01-2013, 18:36

I agree with Daddy...they're nice but too much trouble...unless someone else biuld it.

prain4u
02-01-2013, 18:48

I agree with daddytwosticks,after a long hiking day it's a lot of work to gather enough wood at most shelters& well used campsites.Drying clothes by a fire is hard too,more like well done to slightly charred is what happens.Also some hikers tend to put litter in a fire, sometimes it does not burn completely leaving a mess in the firepit for others to look at.....

I agree. I don't think that I have personally built a campfire in the past five years when hiking or caamping. (But, I have enjoyed fires that others have built and contributed some firewood). Fires --if done correctly and safely---take at least some effort to build, maintain and extinguish. At the end of the day--I want to relax and rest--not expend more energy. If I am cold--I add more clothes or I go to bed and get into my sleeping bag or quilt. I used to dry my clothes and footwear over (or near) campfires. Burn holes from sparks and scorches from getting things too close to fires--greatly curtailed my attempts of drying things over fires (except in "emergencies")

Cosmo
02-01-2013, 20:18
I'm a Trail volunteer and a hiker. Fires have little to say in their defense (if they could speak). Ever wondered why shelter sites seem so open and beat down? You'll find most trees stripped of branches (live or dead) up to about 8ft, and downed wood is pretty much non existent. Then, there's the usual doofus that thinks once his trash is in the fire, it's not his problem any more--whether it burns or not. Invariably, the smoke from the fire (usually right after said doofus has thrown in his empty plastic water jug he picked up at the 7-11 before he headed into the woods) blows into the shelter and stinks up your gear. Fires keep short distance hikers up late making noise. Nope, can't say I think fires at overnight sites on AT have much going for them.

That said, fire building (especially in adverse weather) is a skill every outdoors person should practice every now and then--but save it for your back yard or car camping at the local campground.

Cosmo

Sarcasm the elf
02-01-2013, 20:26
If you think about it, the overwhelming majority of hikers "build" fires. It's just that some use wood and others use fossil fuels -- or in my case, both;).

So if one is concerned about the environment, maybe you should consider being one of them hikers that eat cold meals for their entire hike. Me, I say the hell with the environment I'm eating a hot meal and hot coffee:)

I wonder if you can get one of these baby's in a synthetic fabric so it can be your trail shirt :D:

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/656887468/mens_fitted_tshirt_dark.jpg?color=Orange&height=460&width=460

nu2hike
02-01-2013, 20:37
Last year I hiked with a group of BS on a trail in Ala. We must have put out a half dozen fires that were left by inconsiderate campers! Very dangerous!

aficion
02-01-2013, 21:17
A fire is something pleasurable to build and enjoy. I do it frequently but not always. If I haven't the energy, I've hiked too far. It happens. If conditions are unsafe, so be it. It happens. If it is wet, I almost always build a fire, both for the cheer factor, and to meet the challenge. You can get things dry around a fire without destroying them. Fire building is a worthy skill to acquire. So is being able to stay warm, safe, and happy without one. I build one for the fun of it mostly. Same reason I'm out there in the first place. And believe me, I am out there.

Papa D
02-01-2013, 21:43
A fire is something pleasurable to build and enjoy. I do it frequently but not always. If I haven't the energy, I've hiked too far. It happens. If conditions are unsafe, so be it. It happens. If it is wet, I almost always build a fire, both for the cheer factor, and to meet the challenge. You can get things dry around a fire without destroying them. Fire building is a worthy skill to acquire. So is being able to stay warm, safe, and happy without one. I build one for the fun of it mostly. Same reason I'm out there in the first place. And believe me, I am out there.

nice comment - thanks. I LOVE a campfire. Usually, if I'm hiking long-distance (especially in the summer) I skip out on making a campfire. They are mostly unnecessary for preparing food and staying warm and cause environmental impact including removal of the forest floor and the visual impact of burt wood and ashes. This said, I will repeat that I really love a campfire. Mostly, it is important to make campfires in existing fire pits or fire rings and to keep them small (even when you are high and silly). Wood should be "dead and down" and the fire should be monitored and cleaned up before you leave the site. Obviously extinguishing should be thorough and complete.

aficion
02-01-2013, 21:54
I've yet to see the campfire, the woodsmoke from which, smelled worse than the hikers around it.

Maybe one day
02-01-2013, 21:57
The reason boy scouts have fires is to give the boys something to do at camp as the dads are tired of fooling with them...learned that one being a dad on a few scout trips. On a Philmont trek in NM if we had a campfire, the ashes had to be toted with us on the trail and dispersed in the woods at least one mile out....only had one fire in ten nights on the trail after that!

Papa D
02-01-2013, 22:02
The reason boy scouts have fires is to give the boys something to do at camp as the dads are tired of fooling with them...learned that one being a dad on a few scout trips. On a Philmont trek in NM if we had a campfire, the ashes had to be toted with us on the trail and dispersed in the woods at least one mile out....only had one fire in ten nights on the trail after that!

one in ten nights is pretty good for a fire building ratio

I hate that being on trail is "something that boys and dad's have to DO" vs a lifestyle of just existing and living in the woods - it's a shame that you miss your damn TV and couch so much

fiddlehead
02-01-2013, 22:06

Best Answer^

Growing up in Pa, with it's many hardwoods and easy to find downed wood, we learned to build fires and enjoy them..
Didn't realize they were looked down upon until I hiked out west.
Different mindset out there for a few reasons I believe:
Not many hardwoods, so downed (dead) wood burns so much easier (pitch is like diesel fuel) and forest fires are a HUGE problem.
I remember my first time we built a fire near a huge dead log in WY and in the morning the huge dead log was almost gone and still burning.

Also, out west it doesn't rain so much, contributing to the forest fire problem.
East coast is wetter, humid air and better firewood and it's a lot easier to dry out wet clothes with a fire than out west where the air is so dry anyway.

But, for me, when through hiking, I often will build a very small fire for cooking my lunch or even dinner sometimes (especially if my fuel is getting low)
But rarely just for sitting around to enjoy the atmosphere.
I don't have time for sitting around camping when on a thru, I'm usually either walking, cooking/eating, or sleeping or setting up or tearing down camp.
Hiking and camping are not the same thing IMO.

But, I have no problem with campfires in the woods.
I grew up with them.

Sarcasm the elf
02-01-2013, 22:24
Most shelters have fire rings & early season fires are pretty common. Up in NJ, CT, they are banned completely & maybe a few other states & some locations. Most hikers don't list lighters as part of their cooking gear, but they need some way to light their stoves. As it get warmer and you have your hiking legs you tend to hike longer days & a fire is a rare. Most hikers don't want the weight of a saw so finding dead & down wood to fuel a fire takes a lot of time. Especially in heavy use section such as GA.

This. I used to love campfires when I was a kid, but I've grown tired of the effort and the smoke smell clinging my gear. I don't fault folks for liking them, just be responsible about it. On the subject of Tipi Walter's complaints, never make a fire closer than 15-20 feet from where anybody's tent or shelter is setup. Burning pashes can and frequently do get blown around this far and will quickly burn a hole in any piece of synthetic/nylon gear that they land on, it's very easy to ruin a good night.

I should add that since this question is in the thru-hiker forum, my answer was specific to what I do when I'm hiking longer distances. I will admit that once there's snow on the ground and temps are well below freezing I get into a mindset that involves a bit less mileage and a bit more camping and then having a fire is quite appealing.

As others have said, one of the biggest problems with fires is that if you don't have a lot of experience fire-building, you can easily be tricked into thinking a fire is extinguished only to have it rekindle itself a little while later. This was a frequent problem when I was in scouting, eventually we realized that they weren't kidding when they said that in order to extinguish a fire with limited water, you have to sprinkle water on top of the fire, stir the coals/ashes with a stick, sprinkle a little more water, stir the coals/ashes, sprinkle more water, and repeat until the ashes are cold enough to safely touch; quite a bit of work for a tired long distance hiker.

Odd Man Out
02-01-2013, 23:13

I recall a winter camping trip as a Boy Scout. We were all huddled around the fire trying (and failing) to get warm. The adult leaders said that the only way to get warm was to get away from the fire and start working. We all said "yeah right". Eventually we had to get some work done (food cooked, tents pitched, etc...). After a while we were all having a great time running around in the woods. The leaders asked "so are you still cold?" and we all said "oh crap, he was right".

Chaco Taco
02-02-2013, 00:23
:-?;)You sir, are getting old. These are the folks that change into camp shoes after a long tough day of hiking. Yep, trail life is a bitch :banana

hauptman
02-02-2013, 00:42
I use a homemade fire ring made from a BPL large windscreen and some wire through the bottom holes to form a mesh grate. this allows me to make
a small, raised, and contained fire that is easy to control, feed, and move around as needed. I usually move it right in front of the tarp before bed and keep some sticks at arms reach. If need be, I can also use tin foil as a mat under it to prevent a permanent dead spot. I scatter the ash in the morning after pouring water over the embers.

Pressure D
02-02-2013, 01:03
I end to ended the long trail this fall and spent many a night alone. I usually built a small fire just for something to do. I really enjoyed it.

Hosaphone
02-02-2013, 02:57
It's mostly a waste of time and every time I've sat next to a small camp fire on a cold night, I've ended up cold

White man build big fire, sit far, stay cold. Indian build small fire, sit close, stay warm.

Dogwood
02-02-2013, 03:09
Campfires are not necessarily good or bad but they have the potential to be either.

I mainly long distance solo hike. I like the warmth, cheer, company, meditation, sights, and sounds of a fire. I ALWAYS address conditions BEFORE deciding to light a fire. If it's too windy or dry or there isn't any/enough downed/dead wood I'll decide against it. I VERY RARELY light a campfire to cook. I have a stove and fuel for that. NEVER have I cut or taken living wood for a campfire. I DO NOT seek to create a Pep Rally LOOK I HAVE CREATED FIRE type bon fire. A small fire is fine. A smaller fire within an established fire ring is easier to control, consumes less wood, makes less of an environmental impact, and still accomplishes my goals. In SOME places at SOME times under SOME conditions in remote areas I'll create a SMALL fire ring, light a SMALL fire, and disperse the fire ring and ashes after the fire is DEFINITELY extinguished. Lighting and tending to a campfire Does Not have to be a macho he man testosterone driven thing as I all too often witness. The behavior around a campfire can get out of hand real fast. It's probably most often the small genitalia young males who ignite large fires to hide their insecurity of such small genitalia. It's the erroneous bigger is always better idea. I usually don't seek to create a campfire every night on a thru-hike unless it's particularly cold. Creating campfires(wood gathering, the fires themselves, and the remains) have the potential to be one of the most destructful acts I witness in hiking. As such, I treat creating, tending, and extinguishing one with the highest regard. I know I, as well as some other posters on this thread, may seem a bit too serious, concerned, harsh, or dogmatic about campfires but the more I hike and the more I come across where humans congregate to camp where campfires have been the norm the more destruction I witness. The potential for abuse/harm CAN BE so great that many areas, particularly in National Parks, some State Parks, Wilderness Areas, etc., have banned wood gathering(any kind of wood gathering, even downed dead decaying wood) and creating campfires, particularly outside of existing fire rings altogether.

Pedaling Fool
02-02-2013, 10:34
I wonder if you can get one of these baby's in a synthetic fabric so it can be your trail shirt :D:

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/656887468/mens_fitted_tshirt_dark.jpg?color=Orange&height=460&width=460

I love it:) People need to learn who the real enemy is -- Mother Nature, she's a bitch.

JAK
02-02-2013, 18:48
I set fires for pure joy.

hikerboy57
02-02-2013, 18:52
just bring your pj coated balls

Wise Old Owl
02-02-2013, 19:11

Is not work if you enjoy it.... Dont pick up anything larger than three inches. Get the little stuff.

Sarcasm the elf
02-02-2013, 20:25

I love it:) People need to learn who the real enemy is -- Mother Nature, she's a bitch.

I'll be honest, I posted the photo of the shirt because I thought it was funny. Then five minutes later I went back to cafepress.com and bought one.

aficion
02-02-2013, 21:58
Too ironic for most to assimilate. Love it, but might not wear it.

Dogwood
02-03-2013, 00:13
Kathleen Fulmer: Good evening and welcome to "Succinctly Speaking." I'm Kathleen Fulmer. My guests today include Tonto, Tarzan and Frankenstein. All right, Tarzan, let's start with you: Fire.

Tarzan: Fire good.

Kathleen Fulmer: Mm-hmm. Tonto?

Tonto: Fire good.

Kathleen Fulmer: All right. Frankenstein?

Frankenstein: [Growls] Fire bad!

Kathleen Fulmer: Okay, we have a difference of opinion, and I think that's what makes our forum work, the give and take. Don't you think? [Tarzan and Tonto nod. Frankenstein scowls at Kathleen] Okay, let's move on, shall we?...

daddytwosticks
02-03-2013, 07:46
:-?;)You sir, are getting old. These are the folks that change into camp shoes after a long tough day of hiking. Yep, trail life is a bitch :banana Love my camp shoes! Yes, I'm feeling really old lately. Especially when people call me "sir". :)

nitewalker
02-03-2013, 07:50
I recall a winter camping trip as a Boy Scout. We were all huddled around the fire trying (and failing) to get warm. The adult leaders said that the only way to get warm was to get away from the fire and start working. We all said "yeah right". Eventually we had to get some work done (food cooked, tents pitched, etc...). After a while we were all having a great time running around in the woods. The leaders asked "so are you still cold?" and we all said "oh crap, he was right".

funny how that works all the time..:D

Mountain Mike
02-03-2013, 07:59
With scouts/explorers where a fire was likely I always brought a Sven saw. After one drizzly damp day canoeing in the Daks most of the kids were chilled. I made them set up their tents & found a few decent dead downed trees to drag back to camp. Once they had cut a few pieces off the 3" tree they were sent to go change into their dry clothes. I believe cutting the wood warmed them more than the fire did.

prain4u
02-03-2013, 19:16
With scouts/explorers where a fire was likely I always brought a Sven saw. After one drizzly damp day canoeing in the Daks most of the kids were chilled. I made them set up their tents & found a few decent dead downed trees to drag back to camp. Once they had cut a few pieces off the 3" tree they were sent to go change into their dry clothes. I believe cutting the wood warmed them more than the fire did.

When I was growing up, we heated our home with a fireplace and a wood burner. We went through a lot of firewood in those cold Northern Wisconsin winters. My dad always said "Heating with firewood warms you twice. Once when you cut it and again when you burn it."

Snowleopard
02-04-2013, 11:47
If you're contemplating building a fire, keep in mind the impact burning wood will have on the area. Downed wood, left to rot, returns nutrients to the soil necessary for the forest to regenerate. Popular areas such as along the trail in Georgia, the Smokeys, Shenandoah, the Long Trail, and the Whites are the best places to refrain from having fires unless absolutely necessary.

Ever wondered why shelter sites seem so open and beat down? You'll find most trees stripped of branches (live or dead) up to about 8ft, and downed wood is pretty much non existent.
That said, fire building (especially in adverse weather) is a skill every outdoors person should practice every now and then--but save it for your back yard or car camping at the local campground.

I don't like campfires in heavily used areas because of the way campers strip the area barren. My backyard is more of a wilderness than popular camping areas of the White Mountains or along the AT in Mass.

Josh Calhoun
02-04-2013, 15:18
i love sitting around a fire at night. the hard part is finding the wood to burn

aficion
02-04-2013, 15:43
i love sitting around a fire at night. the hard part is finding the wood to burn

This time of year there is a lot dead and down around here. Lovin it.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2013, 20:17
Thank God for lighters http://www.travelchannel.com/video/catch-a-missing-scene-from-kalahari-12004