PDA

View Full Version : Section hiking the MST

Grand Poobah
02-01-2013, 11:11
I just came off an AT SOBO thru hike in December and would like to start section hiking the MST since I just moved to Wilmington NC. Though far away from most of the trail, anyone have suggestions? I really just heard about the trail while hiking the AT. So my knowledge is minimal about it. How its marked, how much is road walk? food re-supplies along the way? and more.

Tennessee Viking
02-01-2013, 13:27
Great to hear your interest in the MST. I am a member of the FMST, Falls Lake Task Force maintainer, and one of the eastern Carolina route coordinators. And I am currently doing small sections at a time.

If you are interested in hiking the trail, the FMST is having its annual meeting Feb 2 this weekend at the Saxapahnaw BallRoom near Burlington.

First off the MST is a little bit of a different trail. You will go from a similiar primitive backcountry trail (like the AT) being alone to having to rely on the support of various communities and hiker support along the way. You go from remote backcountry in the mountains to greenways & road walks along the Piedmont, to walking the beach on the coast. Its about 50% complete with a number of trail building projects all over the state. It is like a cross of a backcountry to social trail; you will be by yourself then rely on people along the way.

I will try to keep this summarized. Because a lot of research goes into hiking the MST, and then the MST is looking into a BIG transition of reroutes right now.

Typically, the trail is blazed white circle or post markers along actual trail sections. We have completed trail in the Smokies, then from Waterrock Knob area to Stone Mountain, the Piedmont State Parks, Greensboro Watershed, Haw River area, Eno River area, Falls Lake, and the Neusiok Trail.

Right now, the FMST is currently is evaluating some major relocations in some areas. One of the them is leaving the Smokies; but there are alternate routes available until a permanent route is created. The Piedmont route is mostly road routes and newly created trail which are getting fairly finalized; linking State Park areas and greenways. In the next year or so, Stone Mtn will have a trail system linking to Elkin NC.

After Falls Lake in Raleigh, we are expecting a major reroute at the end of this year. The trail will be moved from the bike routes (Raleigh to Wilson to Kinston) to follow a portion of the Neuse River going into Smithfield. Then from there, the trail is being evaluated to travel to the Bladen Lakes area (thru a number of public lands) then turn back toward coatsal gamelands and Jacksonville and enter the western Croatan. The Neusiok Trail may or may not be used depending on the relocated route.

But as of right now, the current route is still being walked and honored.

For supplies, you will have somewhat a similiar experience, as the AT, in the mountains. But you will not be walking into towns as often. You will mostly have to arrange rides or hitch into town for supplies as you will mostly be following the Parkway corridor. The Piedmont and Coastal areas, you will just need to find towns, post offices, Dollar Generals, and convenience stores along the way. WalMarts and general stores will be your new outfitter source. But usually you will find friendly folks along the way or you can get help from the MST network of volunteers and supporters.

There are two major obstacles to the MST. Private lands and camping. Because most of the coastal and Piedmont lands in North Carolina are privately owned, the MST relies on an extensive road route system. Camping is unfortunately another but it is getting better. Because of previous regulations, NPS, state park, and other land agencies have heavily restrict camping. Relations with these agencies have been getting better. Hopefully a deal can be made about camping.

Some hikers have to figure out where Parkway lands turn into National Forest lands to camp, get rides into town, or make the risky decision to stealth. The FMST does not encourage stealthing. But hikers just have to camp somewhere; you just have to learn to hide well. Or arrange prior permissions with land owners to camp on their property, or hopefully they will open their homes up. Churches have been a great help as of late. Hostels and hiker services are starting to pop up along the trail.

Scot Ward aka "Taba" is a great source of info. He has hiked the trail numerous times and has written detailed guidebooks for his trips. Check thru-hiker.us

Grand Poobah
02-01-2013, 17:38
That was all very helpful. I would be doing 2-5 day trips all along the way. May I ask why the trail is leaving the GSM's? What mnt is to be the western point?

TNhiker
02-01-2013, 17:45
That was all very helpful. I would be doing 2-5 day trips all along the way. May I ask why the trail is leaving the GSM's? What mnt is to be the western point?

i think TN Viking means, and i could be wrong, the trail once it's leaves the smokies is getting rerouted.........

currently, once the MST leaves the Park, it's a road walk for a bit...........

i think the MST people want to take this road section and put it in the woods.....

Tipi Walter
02-01-2013, 17:50
My favorite part of the MST is from Linville Gorge east to Steels Creek and up to Ripshin Ridge and across highway 181 and down the Greentown trail to Upper Creek and do the crossing and head up and over to Harpers Creek and Lost Cove Creek, etc. It's a place I miss doing as there is a campsite on Upper Creek near Burnthouse Creek which is awesome.

Tennessee Viking
02-02-2013, 21:42

i think TN Viking means, and i could be wrong, the trail once it's leaves the smokies is getting rerouted.........

currently, once the MST leaves the Park, it's a road walk for a bit...........

i think the MST people want to take this road section and put it in the woods.....
Correct...100 points to TN hiker

Poobah, as of recent, the NPS has asked the FMST to no longer route hikers along the Parkway from GSMNP to Soco Gap. The reason is that NPS was feeling funny of hikers walking through the tunnels and narrow shoulders in this section. In addition to the lack of interest of the Cherokee Nation of allowing a trail easement on their lands and no connecting forest lands, the FMST is having to look for a totally new route for this section of trail. A few hikers have still walked the tunnels, but it is at your own risk.

Currently, the FMST is planning to work with local agencies and govts in getting a possible greenway system built. Rumors say it was the sameone used in the movie Fugitive. And some how bring the MST route to Pinnacle Park near Sylva and bring it over toward the Parkway at Yellow Face and Waterrock Knob. Thats one idea. Another is to build something to Cullowhee and climb up the mountain from there.

There a couple detours being walked right now.
1)follow the original MST trails out of the park. Walk through Cherokee to US 74 then walk the highway to Tuskusegee River Outfitters and thru Sylva to the Parkway @ Balsam Gap.
2)I have the Diane (ultra-runner) route where she left the Park at Deep Creek/Bryson City. Then walk some side roads to the Outfitters then to Dillsboro/Sylva and past Cullowhee. Once you get to East Laporte, you climb up a series of FS roads to the Parkway around Richland Balsam.
3)Another route follows the BMT and turns away at Balsam Mountain area and follows a long road out to Big Witch Gap. This is an exremely long route is not the preferred route.

But also don't forget, Newfound Road is closed due to landslide. TN side is open. And the Park's new paid permit system will take affect soon.

Tennessee Viking
02-04-2013, 17:26
My favorite part of the MST is from Linville Gorge east to Steels Creek and up to Ripshin Ridge and across highway 181 and down the Greentown trail to Upper Creek and do the crossing and head up and over to Harpers Creek and Lost Cove Creek, etc. It's a place I miss doing as there is a campsite on Upper Creek near Burnthouse Creek which is awesome.

Tipi,
I am planning on sectioning Beacon Heights to NC 181 in March/April. I have done some short trips around Roseboough and Upper Creek in the past.

Grits
02-04-2013, 21:16
[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;1407251]My favorite part of the MST is from Linville Gorge east to Steels Creek and up to Ripshin Ridge and across highway 181 and down the Greentown trail to Upper Creek and do the crossing and head up and over to Harpers Creek and Lost Cove Creek, etc. It's a place I miss doing as there is a campsite on Upper Creek near Burnthouse Creek which is awesomeQUOTE]
Thanks to Tipi I found Burnthouse falls a non maintained trail and as you get to Upper Creek (great camp site here Taba has it at mile 229.95 east bound) on the MST/Greentown trail. To get to the campsite Tipi is talking about at the base of burnthouse creek falls you have to follow the fishermans trail down Upper Creek to where Burnthouse Creek meets Upper Creek there is the campsite. about 1/2 mile. If you have time check out south harper falls also which is on a side trail and the new FS map of Wilsons Creek is pretty accurate.
Pictures are
Burnhouse Creek Falls
Baird Falls
Harper Creek Falls
South Harper Falls
Harpers Creek

Tipi Walter
02-04-2013, 21:40
[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;1407251]
Thanks to Tipi I found Burnthouse falls a non maintained trail and as you get to Upper Creek (great camp site here Taba has it at mile 229.95 east bound) on the MST/Greentown trail. To get to the campsite Tipi is talking about at the base of burnthouse creek falls you have to follow the fishermans trail down Upper Creek to where Burnthouse Creek meets Upper Creek there is the campsite. about 1/2 mile. If you have time check out south harper falls also which is on a side trail and the new FS map of Wilsons Creek is pretty accurate.
Pictures are
Burnhouse Creek Falls
Baird Falls
Harper Creek Falls
South Harper Falls
Harpers Creek

Thanks for the great fotogs as they all bring back good memories, especially the first of Burnthouse Falls. Most people don't know about Upper Creek or the Falls. I hope when you were in Burnthouse Camp that you got to go downstream on Upper Creek and discovered the big rock canyon gorge which is another secret of the Pisgah holylands.

Not to hijack the thread but I gotta share a few fotogs with Grits---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/BooneYears/Pisgah-Upper-Creek/i-f4JFCDf/0/L/george%20and%20whitney%20in%20pisgah%20%202001-L.jpg
Here's the spot in your first picture showing Burnthouse Falls behind camp.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2006/Into-Pisgah-with-Johnny-Be/i-nn6bsFR/0/L/61-11%20%20greentown%20campground%20on%20mst-L.jpg
Here's the Greentown part of the MST as it parallels Upper Creek (on the right) and was at one time long ago an old established car camping area.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/Pisgah-Upper-Creek-2004/i-c6BxMvP/0/L/36%20%20Tipi%20in%20the%20Pisgah%20Canyon%20Pool-L.jpg
If you leave Burnthouse Camp and get in Upper Creek and follow it for about a mile downstream you reach the rock canyon gorge and this pic shows the top part of the canyon.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/Pisgah-Upper-Creek-2004/i-k3Db5Xb/0/L/36%20%20Chet%20and%20Celo%20George%20in%20the%20Pi sgah%20Canyon-L.jpg
This pic looks the other direction and downstream as the rock canyon opens up and falls thru its gorge.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/BooneYears/Pisgah-Upper-Creek/i-WdS3qHN/0/L/Johnny%20B%20At%20the%20edge%20of%20Babaji%20Point-L.jpg
My backpacking buddy Johnny Be is 150+ feet above the Upper Creek gorge and looking down from a difficult to reach spot we call Babaji Point.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/Pisgah-Upper-Creek-2004/i-Bj6pRLx/0/L/36%20new%205-L.jpg
And finally and btw, this is what the top of Burnthouse Falls looks like with its wall of water covered moss.

More pics here--
http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keyword/pisgah%20upper%20creek#!i=2299095536&k=WCBhfJS

Grits
02-04-2013, 22:32
Tipi Great pics.
We were on a day hike and came up along Harpers Creek from FS rd. 197 and like you said that switchback to find the path over to Babaji Point was hard to find but after some exploreing we found it. I will explore the upper part of Burnthouse falls the next time I am down there hahaha sounds like a trip to the woods. :banana People used to go in there car camping many years ago and like you said most don't get off the trail to explore. Another good section of the MST is between hwy 221 at Woodlawn (north of Marion) to Dobsons knob over to the Pinnacle. There is a little visited waterfalls on the yellow fork of Paddys creek about 1/4 mile south of where the MST comes up on Kessiler Highway you need to check out. this link is how I found it. I will post pictures when i can find them. The trail is easy to follow and about a mile walk in. http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/NC/HighCountry/Yellow_Fork_Paddy_Creek_2-12.html

2NewKnees
02-08-2013, 21:46
The Nuesiok trail is nice to hike this time of year. It is still part of the MTS trail as far as I know. I ride part of it almost everyday. I am planning to hike the whole trail next weekend. Should be a fun trip!!

gunner76
02-09-2013, 20:37
The Neusiok trail is part of the MST. We (Carteret COunty Wildlife Club) will be blazing some new trail for the Neusiok Trail tomorrow.

2NewKnees
02-09-2013, 22:20
I was out there hiking today with my daughter. thank you so much for the work on the trail you and the CCWC has done. It is in great shape, at least the section I have hiked. Let me know the next workday and I'll try to come out. Supposed to ride tomorrow am.

tds1195
02-09-2013, 22:27
I was out there hiking today with my daughter. thank you so much for the work on the trail you and the CCWC has done. It is in great shape, at least the section I have hiked. Let me know the next workday and I'll try to come out. Supposed to ride tomorrow am.

+1 - I was there last weekend and did a few miles...great trail!

gunner76
02-10-2013, 13:23
Kids usally have a great time on the trail. When my daughter was little she insisited on carrying a yellow day pack I always took with us. Looked like a pack with legs going down the trail as the pack was almost as big as she was.

Glad you enjoyed the trail. I am getting to go out to some trail work in a few minutes. Had planned to hike some this Wed but rain is predicated so I dought I will get out there again till next weekend.

2NewKnees
02-10-2013, 21:57
Hope we don't have rain like we did last Thursday. Do you know if the water spigots are working at the shelters? I forgot to check it at Copperhead Shelter yesterday.

gunner76
02-11-2013, 20:48
Copperhead and Dogwood shelters water pumps are working fine. Blackjack water pump is still down. Should know more tomorrow night.

Last couple of times I stoped at Dogwood I did not have to prime the pump.