PDA

View Full Version : I will be attempting the ADT this year

The Phoenix
02-01-2013, 14:35
For the past few weeks/months I have been daydreaming of another thru-hike... and two days ago I got a strong urge to hike across America, and have since committed to the idea.

I know the ADT is not a popular trail... and has a few kinks should as roaaaaaaaaad walking for days on end... but I am excited about that...

I am going to put my patriotism to the test as I gut the US of A... I have always loved this country (to the point where I am planning to join the military and spend my life helping it/protecting it), I believe hiking across it and meeting its culture head on will be a great way to put my beliefs to the test!

I am actually contemplating going West to East... to absolutely make sure I get Cali, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado in... before snow... or me burning out (who knows what weeks on end of Kansas will do to me!!!)

I am just beginning to plan this bad-boy... but my mind is set on it... and usually when my mind gets set on something... for better and for worse... I am damn well going to do it.

We shall see what happens!

Slo-go'en
02-01-2013, 15:08
Good luck. I looked into it and decided it was not for me. Getting across Utah and Nevada is a real challenge, as the route rarely goes near water sources. You need to catch water before hand or find a more practical route. Oh, you are from Utah, so maybe getting the water drops arranged might not be too bad.

Thoughts of walking across Kansas under the blistering sun is what turned me off to the whole idea. I would seriously consider one of those roller packs for all the road walks. Doing the ADT is the one "trail" it would be good for. You could carry a heavier load (lots of water) with a lot less effort then if it was on your back. Cooler too. An asian lady recently pushed a shopping cart all the way across the country.

Bucketfoot
02-01-2013, 15:17
Sounds like a real adventure Phoenix. Best of luck to you!

Darwin13
02-22-2013, 18:36
write about it in detail and then make a guide!

Lyle
02-22-2013, 18:43
I was part of Hikanation, the precursor to the ADT. Let me tell you, that was the best year of my life. The road walking was at times a drag, but at times was amazing. You get to meet and interact with a LOT more of the locals than trail walking all the time affords. The folks you meet are not used to a hiker walking by every ten minutes, so they are much more interested in sharing with you about their local area. Trail magic is the real kind, not the planned, months in advance, feeds that you see on the AT.

Go into it knowing that it will be very different than the AT, but keep an open mind. It's much more akin to the experience that Peter Jenkins had in Walk Across America - GREAT book that inspired me to long distance hiking.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

Edit: To this day, southern Utah, and the four-corners area has been the most beautiful, and varied hiking I've ever done.

Sly
02-22-2013, 19:24
Have you seen Lion King's ADT video?

Here's episode 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdngYmZavU

If I were to do that trail I'd have no problem biking the road walking flat parts.

Kookork
02-22-2013, 19:45
You might find yourself a totally different person ( mostly better) when you leave one coast and reach the other side. I am jealous of you and wish you a great journey.

Sly
02-22-2013, 19:49
History in the making, two of three isn't bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUd2xeZP-Kw

SawnieRobertson
02-23-2013, 19:21
What an enjoyable thread! I wonder if this is the time for me to ask the question that I have wondered about for years. You see, it only makes sense to me that at some spot as the andAT goes north and south, and the ADT goes east and west, they would intercept. Surely someone can answer this for me. If I were going north on the AT, presumably approaching that spot, and I got a message on my phone telling me that I must return home to Colorado, where would I turn left?

Mountain Mike
02-24-2013, 00:37
I believe Harpers Ferry.

Sly
02-24-2013, 02:25
What an enjoyable thread! I wonder if this is the time for me to ask the question that I have wondered about for years. You see, it only makes sense to me that at some spot as the andAT goes north and south, and the ADT goes east and west, they would intercept. Surely someone can answer this for me. If I were going north on the AT, presumably approaching that spot, and I got a message on my phone telling me that I must return home to Colorado, where would I turn left?

Maryland, C & O Canal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZk9YfK5Dk

SawnieRobertson
02-24-2013, 10:15
Thank you, Sly! For sharing what must almost be a secret and for that lovely video

StriderNCT2013
03-10-2013, 19:46
Good luck Phoenix. Maybe I'll see you out there. I'm thru-hiking the NCT this year and a good portion of the NCT through Ohio is superimposed on the ADT. Best of luck to you.
-Strider

Dogwood
03-10-2013, 19:52
Nice post Lyle.

Dogwood
03-10-2013, 20:03
Lion king had such a AWESOME ATTITUDE going into and during that hike. He also was planning on doing both the north and south splits going into Denver which MOST ADTers do not. Good stuff.

Different Socks
03-10-2013, 20:06
As long as my aging body holds up, I will attempt to do the ADT in bout 5 years. Gotta do a triple AT first and I am doing the planning for that now.

Different Socks
03-10-2013, 20:11
Lion king had such a AWESOME ATTITUDE going into and during that hike. He also was planning on doing both the north and south splits going into Denver which MOST ADTers do not. Good stuff.

I believe he did do the north/south loop. Yet if you read his journals and watch his vids, he did not do the intended route of the ADT in certain places. Instead he chose his own route and even says so in the vids. It will be interesting to read more of the ADT journals to see how many people did/did not do the whole actual route. For ex: many people find an easier way across Utah/Nevada because of the shadeless heat and lack of water.

FWO
05-14-2013, 23:47
Good luck Phoenix. When you get to Maryland and need to get across the bay bridge hit me up. I live just a few miles away. Depending on the weather we can go by boat or car.

gram cracker
12-28-2014, 11:22

Wherever you are.