PDA

View Full Version : Seam sealing a tarptent

A-Train
06-08-2005, 17:33
So this probably seems a bit ridiculous to be asking, but is there any special tricks or info I should know about sealing the seams on a Six Moons Tarptent? Just got it and read the instuctions on the seam seal and they seemed kind of convuluted and included words I had not heard of. Is it simply applying the cream on the seals? Thanks

Footslogger
06-08-2005, 17:42
I just got a Six Moon tent too ...but the Lunar Solo. Anyway, I've owned a silnylon tent before (Wanderlust Nomad Lite) and went through the seam sealing process. It's pretty much common sense but it does require a little more patience than seam sealing a nylon tafetta type tent.

You can use Silnet or regular GE Silicon Seal. If you go the GE route I would suggest diluting the sealer with some mineral spirits first in a small plastic bowl. To apply the goop you basically have 2 choices: Either a plastic syringe or a 1/2" foam paint brush. I've used both methods and find that you end up needing both of them to get the job done correctly and without a huge mess. The syringe method is easy and neat because you can essentially run a line (like caulking) of silicon directly on the seam. The foam brush lets you spread out the silicone a bit and push it into the seam.

One thing that Ron Moak (Six Moon Designs) recommends, and that I have not done before, it to seal the seams both from inside AND outside. In the past I have only sealed the seams from the inside.

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger

Moon Monster
06-08-2005, 20:54
I've used Silnet on an Integral Designs Silshelter. I didn't dilute it, but I like that idea. Undiluted, the stuff sort of spreads out a little at room-temperature, so just a thin line as it comes out of the tube did a good job for me--it spread out on its own to cover the stitching area before setting hard. I applied it to the underneath side of the seams, wherever there was stitching. I suspect that diluting and using a brush could allow you to not apply any excess and excess can lead to a couple extraneous ounces of sealant in the end. I only sealed from the inside and have not had any issues with leakage in the ID Silshelter.

fiddlehead
06-08-2005, 21:30
I only sealed mine (Integral design sil-shelter) from the outside and it has never leaked. (i used a storebought seamsealer that i can't remember the name of now) the tarp/tent is now 6 years old and has been used HARD! (& put away wet!) fh

Frosty
06-08-2005, 23:05
So this probably seems a bit ridiculous to be asking, but is there any special tricks or info I should know about sealing the seams on a Six Moons Tarptent? Just got it and read the instuctions on the seam seal and they seemed kind of convuluted and included words I had not heard of. Is it simply applying the cream on the seals? ThanksThis is from Henry Shires website, but it should work on other silnylon tarptents:

Q: Do Tarptents need to be seam-sealed?

A: Yes, it's a good idea to seal the the seams along the rear arc and the pullouts to protect the stitching. The ridgeline seam can also be sealed but has proven to be extremely water resistant without sealant. Silicone is the only material that will stick to the fabric. Urethane sealer will flake off. An inexpensive product that works well is GE Silicone II clear sealer/glue. It is available as a squeeze tube in most US hardware stores or in the Tarptent Store. Set up the tent ouside in a in a well-ventilated location. Mix about a tablespoon of silicone with a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits(paint thinner) and then apply the solution with a small foam brush. Add more mineral spirits if the solution gets too thick. Avoid skin contact and breathing fumes.

ronmoak
06-09-2005, 09:36
u

One thing that Ron Moak (Six Moon Designs) recommends, and that I have not done before, it to seal the seams both from inside AND outside. In the past I have only sealed the seams from the inside.

'Slogger

Footslogger,I don't believe my instructions call for sealing both sides of the seam. I recommend seam sealing only the outside of the seam. The way the seams are designed on my tents (with all the stitching on the interior side), seam sealing the inner side would be difficult and fruitless.

A-Train, as to convoluted directions, just let me know what’s confusing so I can clarify them for you and everyone else.

Thanks,
Ron

Footslogger
06-09-2005, 09:50
Footslogger,I don't believe my instructions call for sealing both sides of the seam. I recommend seam sealing only the outside of the seam. The way the seams are designed on my tents (with all the stitching on the interior side), seam sealing the inner side would be difficult and fruitless.
=================================
Thanks Ron ...my bad. Made a dangerous assumption. Saw the comment on your website regarding outside sealing and concluded that it was "in addition to" the inside sealing. Thanks for catching that before I attempted that exercise in futility.

'Slogger
AT 2003

A-Train
06-09-2005, 11:46
Thanks for the info slogger and all.

Ron: haha, I was refering to the convuluted directions on the back of the tube of seam sealer I bought at the outfitter. Your directions were fine. Looknig forward to using it tomorow night back on the trail.