PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for NOBO - May to Oct

sdisser
02-01-2013, 21:03
I won't be getting my start on my thru-hike until the first week of May, so I'm wondering what kind of clothing I will need.

Do I need any cold-weather clothing or will I pretty much dodge the cold?

From the stuff I've read so far it seems that the cold weather stuff I might need includes:

long sleeve t-shirt
long pants
leg insulation
wool hat
two layers of torso insulation (sweater, vest, etc)

But are these writers just speaking from the perspective of starting in the standard March/April?

Also, I can get Under Armour and North Face and Mountain Hardware gear at a discount. Any suggestions on what's worked for you under these brand names?

moldy
02-01-2013, 21:06
Do you have a coat of some kind?

sdisser
02-01-2013, 21:19
Do you have a coat of some kind?

Fellow Tennessean! I'm in Nashville, used to work in Smithville.

Well, I have an old ski jacket, but that's about it. That's pretty much why I was asking. I haven't bought any of my clothing yet.

StubbleJumper
02-01-2013, 21:23
Starting at Springer in early May? It seems to me that you wouldn't need much in the way of cold weather clothes until you hit VT or NH sometime in early September. Certainly leg insulation seems like overkill until you hit the Whites, and even then... Same with the second layer of torso insulation.

sdisser
02-01-2013, 21:29
Starting at Springer in early May? It seems to me that you wouldn't need much in the way of cold weather clothes until you hit VT or NH sometime in early September. Certainly leg insulation seems like overkill until you hit the Whites, and even then... Same with the second layer of torso insulation.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. So is it pretty chili up North in the late summer?

sdisser
02-01-2013, 21:33
That's pretty much what I was thinking. So is it pretty chili up North in the late summer?

And by chili I mean chilly

Tinker
02-01-2013, 21:59
I've had sleet on one occasion in the White Mountains in June. Rain can be nasty cold, too. If it isn't 32 degrees F, it doesn't matter with all that wind. I was hiking in a different area of the Whites years ago when a man who was younger than I am now perished in a rainstorm when he lost the hat from his balding head. The temperature was in the 50s with wind.

sdisser
02-01-2013, 22:19
I've had sleet on one occasion in the White Mountains in June. Rain can be nasty cold, too. If it isn't 32 degrees F, it doesn't matter with all that wind. I was hiking in a different area of the Whites years ago when a man who was younger than I am now perished in a rainstorm when he lost the hat from his balding head. The temperature was in the 50s with wind.

Whoa. Now that puts things in perspective a little.