PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here live in PA near the trail and Centralia?

not_possible
02-01-2013, 23:10
I'd really like to take a detour to Centralia when I'm in the area. I've been interested in the place for years, since I first heard of the underground coal fire that's been burning since well before I was born. Figured since I'll be as close as I've ever been to there while on the AT it'd be a good chance to see the place. Since I'm flip flopping, Springer to Harpers Ferry then Katahdin heading south, it'll be awhile before I'm in PA . If I could find someone that lives in the area that may be willing to help me out getting there and back to the trail that'd be great. I'd gladly pay for gas if anyone may have the time and a genuine interest in the place like I do. I wouldn't want to put anybody out that could care less about it, but if there is someone that has been and willing to be a "tour guide" or even someone that has wanted to see the place and never has that would be ideal. I've just been making some notes on places I want to experience this year and since this one is a little obscure and I don't think "dead" towns have Greyhound stops, thought I'd post here well in advance and see if I can line up something by the time I reach PA.

bert304
02-02-2013, 10:20
You could try to rent a car for a day and then drive yourself. The section you are looking for is on the rerouted section of route 61.

fiddlehead
02-02-2013, 11:46
I live near Centralia when I'm in the states. (Live in Thailand most of the year)
I should be back there in August this year for 2 or 3 months.
If that works for you, I would drive you up there for a few hours.
I used to play in a band from that area and our drummer was one of the folks bought out and relocated.
I think there are still 3 or 4 houses there with people living in them. The rest of the town has moved on.
I guess it would seem an eery place if you are not used to it.
Especially at night.
Pine Grove PA (not the state park, but the town) would be your closest point to the AT I believe.
Or actually where the AT last crosses I-81 (NOBO) just after Swatara State Park, a few miles before 501 crossing.
Easier for me to pick you up at 501 shelter however.