PDA

View Full Version : Gear Rental

Spaghetti O's
02-01-2013, 23:45
Has anyone on here used online gear rental? More specifically Mountain Side Gear Rental. They have very good prices and since I live over 2 hours away from the closet REI store I ran across Mountain Sides' website looking for alternates.

hauptman
02-02-2013, 00:25
Just my two cents, but I wouldnt recommend renting something you have not first inspected with your own eyes. It would be a shame to have to call off a trip simply do to busted gear.

Chaco Taco
02-02-2013, 00:30
REI and EMS and most local outfitters also rent. We have had nothing but great experiences with rental gear. I would not rent online, honestly, because you could get stuck paying damages on something you did not even do. I know at EMS, the let you take the receipt from rentals and apply the total rental fee towards the purchase of what you rented.

hauptman
02-02-2013, 00:33
Chaco is right. REI gear rental rocks, so long as you inspect each item before you leave the store. They have great customer service and will work to satisfy. Ps, love the dividends.

Spaghetti O's
02-02-2013, 10:21
Well like I said I live a 5 hour round trip from REI and there is no EMS store in central Michigan I may have to rent online. REI said that they will not ship the gear, store pickup only. So I am looking for anyone's opinion who has used online gear rental.

Mountain Mike
02-02-2013, 10:34
Not sure if they do internet. Just saw this website for gear rental in "How to hike the AT" from a free kindle book I picked up at some time. http://www.lowergear.com/

Feral Bill
02-02-2013, 14:13
If there is a college near you, see if they have an outdoor program with rentals for community members.

Spaghetti O's
02-02-2013, 23:41
Yes there are a few places online to rent gear. That's why I was asking if anyone had done it and how there experience was.

I actually work at a university and they quit their rental program years ago.

yankeehotelbackpack
02-04-2013, 22:02
I'm wondering the exact same thing -- the deals at lowergear.com look great, and there's no REI in my town. I did just find out that there's one an hour away, so it's probably worth it for me to go there and try on packs, etc. before renting. But I'd be willing to give lowergear a try without other easy options.

Spaghetti O's
02-04-2013, 22:10
I am interested in the Mountain Side Gear Rental because they offer a complete package for what others charge for just the basics(tent,pack,bag,ground pad and stove). It would make it easy for someone like me just getting into backpacking to just order the package for myself and my daughter and I'm all set.