PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Big South Fork

10-K
02-02-2013, 07:34
Any recommendations on where to park a vehicle for a few weeks inside Big South Fork?

Preferably close to Leatherwood Ford where the new southern terminus of the Sheltowee Trace trail is.

Unitic
02-02-2013, 09:33
Bandy Creek is definitely the safest. I'd be concerned about break-ins anyplace else. Easy enough to get a ride to and from Leatherwood

Ewker
02-04-2013, 09:49
If you decide to park at the Leatherwood Ford I would talk to the Rangers at Bandy Creek visitor center and let them know your car will be there. The Rangers pass by there daily so it shouldn't be a problem

10-K
02-04-2013, 10:36
Thanks. I called the ranger station this morning and they said Leatherwood Ford would be a safe place to park for a few weeks - they patrol it.

Tipi Walter
02-04-2013, 13:28
Thanks. I called the ranger station this morning and they said Leatherwood Ford would be a safe place to park for a few weeks - they patrol it.

Hope the heck you don't see high water as you did on your last trip. Big South Fork has some major crossings.

10-K
02-04-2013, 13:35
I almost decided not to hike this trail because of all the fords but decided that I needed to do it to get over my new fear of water crossings.

At least I know not to do anything stupid - I just have to not be *too* cautious.

Rain Man
02-05-2013, 13:17
Perhaps I'm mistaken as to what trail you want to hike, but to my knowledge and recollection from looking at the Sheltowee extension into that part of the BSF, there are no streams you have to ford. Am I wrong?

North past the new extension, I recall a single stream we had to ford, and it was barely above our ankles.

Rain Man

10-K
02-05-2013, 13:22
There are several fords according to the guide - the major one is one of the Rock Creek crossings. I've read that it can be thigh deep and moving fast - in which case you can bushwhack down the bank of the creek a mile or so to a bridge.

But, I don't know for sure as I've never hiked there.

Rain Man
02-05-2013, 19:51
There are several fords according to the guide - the major one is one of the Rock Creek crossings.

Here's a link to a photo of our crossing of Rock Creek last February -- Fording Rock Creek (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/6159992/95340092/) and--
Another of us fording Rock Creek. (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/6159992/95427902/#95427932)

There are several other photos of us fording there, if you want to poke around in that album some. For some reason, I had in my head that you were going to be hiking the area south of there. My bad.

Hope this helps. Of course, if there's been a hard rain all bets are off.

Rain Man

Bati
02-05-2013, 20:22
You should still be able to avoid Rock Creek by heading through Koger Arch and doing some roadwalking. Check the maps to ensure this is still an option.

My worst ford was on on of the high-clearance-vehicle only roadwalks. The water was not overly swift, about 28-29 inches deep and cold. I can't recall if it had snowed that day or the previous one, but since it was only crossing, we warmed by doing some fast hiking on the other side.

So basically, the depth was about the same as I encountered on the BMT at Slick Rock and Forney, but the water was much swifter and the air much warmer on the BMT than on the trace. I should note though, that the only reason I could cross Slick Rock was that I took an off day and slowed down so that it would have 3 nights to drop to that level. If you encounter similar creek levels at Rock creek, look for the road walk to bypass it.

Violent Green
02-05-2013, 22:52
10-K,

Leatherwood will be fine to park your car, very little issue with vandalism in the BSF. I'm from Oneida and have traipsed all over the place down there. Still have a lot of family up there if you have any issues - they can help ya out.

Ryan

wornoutboots
02-06-2013, 00:48
I'd park at Bandy creek, Leatherwood may be patrolled but Bandy Creek is a year round CG. I've parked at both & Leatherwood is right off hwy 297 so anyone can get in, do a smash & grab & get right back out immediately. I'm only saying this because you'll be parked there so long. I've parked at Leatherwood many weekends & I've had no problems.

I normally plan a ford or 2 into my hikes there since the stream are so pristine! The only stream I wouldn't ford is the Big South Fork itself. If the water is high, you can find alternate routes around Rock Creek. The isolation of the BSF make it a real gem!!

10-K
02-06-2013, 09:17
Lots of great info - thanks as always!

Rainman, thanks for those photos - nice to have a reference point to know what Rock Creek looks like normally.

Bati, I forded Slickrock Creek when it was crotch deep and flowing fast - a few days earlier another hiker was knocked down and had to be pulled out by his hiking partner. Really I wish they'd put a rope up for that crossing.

Tipi Walter
02-06-2013, 09:31
Lots of great info - thanks as always!

Rainman, thanks for those photos - nice to have a reference point to know what Rock Creek looks like normally.

Bati, I forded Slickrock Creek when it was crotch deep and flowing fast - a few days earlier another hiker was knocked down and had to be pulled out by his hiking partner. Really I wish they'd put a rope up for that crossing.

Several years ago a couple dubious individuals encountered a high water crossing over Upper Bald River on the Brookshire trail and is located a mile below the BMT by Sugar Mt where the BMT crosses Brookshire Creek at an easy ford. Brookshire merges into Upper Bald there and the BMT portion of the Brookshire heads up to Sled Runner Gap while the lower section descends and crosses Upper Bald.

Well, the poor little soft white bodies couldn't be bothered with either staying put for a couple days to wait for the high water to lower, or couldn't be bothered with pulling a long loop detour to get out. No, they instead cut down a large living pine tree and had it fall over the creek and used it for their escape.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/The-64-Bag-Nights-of-2004/i-8vMRCX8/0/L/41%20%20New%20Log%20Bridge%20Across%20Upper%20Bald %20River-L.jpg

Here's the tree they cut down with a yellow rope above. This is an example of backcountry lunacy.

Most of the time the Slickrock crossing is easy and doable although not always. At high water we use common sense and wait it out or pull an intricate detour someplace else (like around the Bob/Hangover and down to Big Fat Gap and take Windy Gap to Nichols Cove and Yellowhammer to Ike Branch and out to Calderwood Lake). Putting a rope across isn't really needed. It's a wilderness after all.

Bati
02-06-2013, 21:09
Most of the time the Slickrock crossing is easy and doable although not always. At high water we use common sense and wait it out or pull an intricate detour someplace else (like around the Bob/Hangover and down to Big Fat Gap and take Windy Gap to Nichols Cove and Yellowhammer to Ike Branch and out to Calderwood Lake). Putting a rope across isn't really needed. It's a wilderness after all.

What they really need to do is designate this and the bypass in the Smokies (heading up to Clingman's) as official "high water routes" for the BMT. Then put them on the map, blaze them or sign them, and for the Smokies, let hikers know they won't be fined if they get caught in the wrong campsite while avoiding dangerous and life-theatening fords. When I pressed the park, the answer I got was that "surely they wouldn't mind", but this sort of policy should be coming in writing from the park, and there should be a way of informing hkers about the alternate routes . Not every hiker is wise enough to know that a funeral costs more than any fine the park service might charge you with, or that going a day without food isn't likely to kill you. Also, by having the alternatives on the map, you can plan ahead, knowing you might have to hike an extra 5 or 10 miles. But as it stands now, I couldn't tell you how long the Koger arch/roadwalk bypass would be- that's the sort of information that ought to be provided to long distance hikers.

Rain Man
02-07-2013, 12:17
Well, the poor little soft white bodies couldn't be bothered with either staying put for a couple days to wait for the high water to lower, or couldn't be bothered with pulling a long loop detour to get out. No, they instead cut down a large living pine tree and had it fall over the creek and used it for their escape.

And probably congratulated themselves for being modern Daniel Boones?! FAIL.

Rain Man

Gambit
02-07-2013, 13:51
If I’m not mistaken, the Sheltowee does not start at leatherwood ford. The 44 mile JMT starts very close to Leatherwood Ford and proceeds to Pickett State Park. The Sheltowee Trace Starts at Pickett SP and heads north into Daniel Boone NF. Just referred to my Nat G map to confirm. You can of course link up with the Sheltowee by walking the majority of the JMT if that is what you are thinking.

Parking- I would suggest NOT parking at leatherwood for more than a weekend, If you have stood on the bridge and watched Leatherwood be washed away you would understand why. Thing to do is go to Bandy Creek Ranger Station, park. Give a small donation to the park and ask the ranger when he is going to make a route again, he or she would be glad to give you a ride to leatherwood or really anywhere you would like to go probably. I have done this a few times and they are very nice.

traildust
02-07-2013, 14:13
Gambit,

As of January 1st the Southern Terminus of the Sheltowee is at Leatherwood. The trial out of Pickett is still blazed and open as a spur trail and part of the Rock Creek Loop over in Pickett. The new Nat. Geo Map of BSF due out in March should reflect the change. Route information is on our webpage www.sheltoweetrace.org.