PDA

View Full Version : Rattle snake vaccine?

polechar
02-02-2013, 12:02
I called my vet to try and get a rattle snake vaccine for my dog. Up here in Vermont my vet said he never heard of one, only an anti-venom. I tried another vet and he said that he only heard of western diamondback vaccine and not an eastern one. So now I'm thinking of looking up a vet near Springer Mt and seeing if they can help me. From what I've heard the dog need a series of 2 shots a month apart. So maybe I can get my dog the first shot near springer then travel north for a month and have my girlfriend pick him up and take him to get his second shot.
Does anyone have any advice for me? My dog Mo cheese and I thank you for your info.

4Bears
02-02-2013, 13:53
This link should answer your questions, from a quick web search I would think most any vet could get the vaccine for you
http://www.rattlesnakevaccinefordogs.com/index.html

4Bears
02-02-2013, 14:02
From further research it looks like you may have to go out of state to get the vaccine as I saw several refferences to no sales in VT. Your vet could still recomend an out of state vet to go to.

Old Hiker
02-02-2013, 14:13
http://www.pet-source.com/p-1301-rattlesnake-vaccine-25ds.aspx?utm_source=Affiliate&utm_medium=CJ&utm_campaign=DataFeed

polechar
02-02-2013, 14:23
Thanks for that link 4Bears, however it was for the red rock rattlesnake vaccine primarily for the western diamondback rattler and offers "little" protection against the eastern diamondback noted in the vaccine effectiveness section. I'm not sure if that's the one vets use in the east. Maybe their is one for the eastern diamondback? I'm going to try and call a vet down south on Monday.

polechar
02-02-2013, 14:37
This was off of the Red Rock Biologics website
What types of snakes does this vaccine protect against? Crotalus Atrox Toxoid (rattlesnake vaccine for dogs) was developed to provide protection for dogs against Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom. It is most effective against this snake's venom. Venom from many other snakes found throughout the United States is similar to the venom of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Thus, this vaccine may also provide protection against the venoms of the Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific varieties), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga and the Copperhead. Partial protection may be obtained against Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake venom.This vaccine does not provide protection against venom from the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth), Mojave Rattlesnake or Coral Snake.

This says partial protection for eastern diamondbacks but also has protection against copperheads so maybe it is used on the east coast. The research continues.

4Bears
02-02-2013, 16:00
Since on the AT you can run into Timbers and Copperheads, I would think it prudent to get the Western Diamondback vaccine since it at least gives partial protection against Easterns, might buy enough time to get to the vet and save the hound. According to the info I have read today they are working on an Eastern Diamondback vaccine but not yet been successful or at least not for marketing yet.

polechar
02-02-2013, 16:10
I agree, thanks

Hipcheck
02-02-2013, 17:20
I didn't have my pup vaccinated...

However, allow me to really introduce myself.. Trail name is S.G. This stands for Snake Girl! I stepped on the first rattlesnake we came across, my dog stepped over it right behind me. Talk about a scare!

Anyway.. I saw SEVERAL Timber rattlers.. One copperhead.. A lot of black snakes, ring necks, tree snakes, garters.. Zero diamondbacks(on my hike). I'm not saying they aren't around, I've seen one or two in PA before, just never on the AT.

Almost There
02-02-2013, 17:37
How big is your dog? My Aussie got bit on the muzzle by a Copperhead he attacked to protect our Chihuahuas. Vet said dogs don't need antivenom, and while he swelled up, they monitored overnight, kept hydrated, and before the week was out, he was 100% back to normal. Dogs just handle venom better than people. How big is your dog? He was about 65lbs at the time, so that did have an effect.

polechar
02-02-2013, 17:38
Maybe it is the Timber rattler that is so common on the trail, I don't know why I just assumed it was the Eastern Diamondback. If that is the case then the Timber is on the list that the vaccine works on, and the copperhead.
thanks Hipcheck

4Bears
02-03-2013, 00:22
You can find Easterns all the way into NJ , I have seen plenty of pics of rattlers in PA, they are there you just don't always see them.

Thirsty DPD
02-03-2013, 13:02
How big is your dog? My Aussie got bit on the muzzle by a Copperhead he attacked to protect our Chihuahuas. Vet said dogs don't need antivenom, and while he swelled up, they monitored overnight, kept hydrated, and before the week was out, he was 100% back to normal. Dogs just handle venom better than people. How big is your dog? He was about 65lbs at the time, so that did have an effect.

Many years ago while living in FL, our 6 mo. old Jack Russell was bit under her jaw by a large cottonmouth. We were told the same by our vet. She was pretty sick for about a week, and the site weeped & smelled of absess for several weeks. Even a small, young dog handles a bite better then we do.

On the AT you'll only be exposed to timber rattlesnakes & copperheads. Neither range as far north as VT. You're more likely to see a timber rattler then copperhead on the trail. Your dog will usually smell the snakes musk, and will keep a distance, though the old "curiousity killed the cat", looms. Watch your dog while hiking and you'll be less apt to be startled by one. They're more a danger to you then your dog. Leave them alone, don't try to handle them, and basically a non issue.

The Old Boot
02-03-2013, 17:14
You might also want to take a look at snake avoidance training for your dog either in addition to vaccine or instead of the vaccine although once again, you might have to travel out of state to find a trainer skilled in teaching.

IMO training the dog to avoid snakes makes better sense that using a vaccine that may or may not be effective YMMV.

Longfan
02-07-2013, 22:35
The thing to also remember about snake bite is that most snakes do not inject venom when they attack to protect themselve (Yes, this is the norm and YMMV). The snake had the venom to kill food not an attacker. I am not saying that the venom they do use will not make the dog (you) sick; it can and will cause 1) pain 2) swelling 3) lost of skin and meat from and around the wound site.