PDA

View Full Version : How others operate a Brasslite Turbo II-D or similar.

awhitecat
02-02-2013, 14:20
I recently bought a Brasslite Turbo II-D with extensions.

I haven't had a chance to use it in the field, however so far I'm quite happy with it. I like the solid construction and it seems to be efficient (at least in my back garden!). However, I need to use it a lot to get the most out of it. I'd like to ask some questions of other people who use these or similar stoves.

I'm using one of the 16oz alcohol dispenser bottles to put an oz of fuel in the stove and also into the 'priming' saucer at the bottom.

I find it quite awkward to do this from the dispenser without spillage! I'm thinking of maybe using a small, plastic measuring cup or similar. What do other people do?

Of course, when I do spill the fuel and then light the stove, the spilt fuel burns around the stove. This is not a problem in the open usually, however anything flammable underneath it obviously could be. Should I construct a small tin/brass tray to stand the stove in?

Thank you for the help.

Tinker
02-02-2013, 15:16
I have a Turbo 1 "naked" stove (no provision for simmering, just the stove "chimney" and priming cup). If you have trouble aiming the bottle you could try to see if a small plastic straw from an aerosol can or small oil bottle (I use Tri-flow on bicycles) might fit into the spout.

As far as alcohol amounts, an ounce should be more than enough to boil 2 cups of water with some extra time. Experiment with lesser amounts in different temperatures to find out how little you can get away with using so that you don't burn more than you need. As far as protecting the cooking surface that you're working on, my solution for the stove I use pretty much exclusively (a homemade Supercat stove), I cut a piece of aluminum from a disposable oven roasting pan that is slightly smaller than my cookpot so that it fits inside. A little alcohol spilled on the aluminum will quickly burn off without setting a shelter or tent on fire or blackening a picnic table.

awhitecat
02-05-2013, 19:53
Thanks for that help, Tinker. I constructed this with a scrap of alloy that I had in the shed

I'm debating with myself how to seal the corners! So far, I'm on the Losing Team! I'll let you know how it works out.

Mountain Mike
02-05-2013, 21:04
Looks like a little JB Weld would seal them up. Would hold up to heat as opposed to an epoxy or liquid.

oops56
02-05-2013, 21:31
that stove has its own built priming tray at the bottom

Alligator
02-05-2013, 23:18
If you are clumsy with pouring it you could always just put it in the dirt and fill it. Then move the stove to where you want to cook. I often cook with mine on a rock, a small twig underneath helps to balance it if the rock is slightly uneven. I have used a cough medicine cup to fill mine and also a kid's medicine dropper. I prefer the cup though. I keepthe fuel in a soda bottle.

awhitecat
02-06-2013, 16:28
that stove has its own built priming tray at the bottom

That's correct, 0056. Seems to preheat it enough to get a good burn. Here's a youtube burnoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sxWvGZlorw

It's one of the reason why I decided to try a Braslite after making a few coke-can stoves.

Tinker
02-07-2013, 20:14
Thanks for that help, Tinker. I constructed this with a scrap of alloy that I had in the shed

I'm debating with myself how to seal the corners! So far, I'm on the Losing Team! I'll let you know how it works out.

Probably heavier than anything that I'd carry for a single purpose. Figure out what other things you can do with it. It seems as though it would take up more pack space than necessary, too.

If you make a cozy for your cookset out of some old sleeping pad foam, you could cut a disc out of a disposable oven pan as I suggested that would fit under your cookset (or on top) inside the cozy for travel. When you get to camp it will be right there with your cooking gear when you need it. If you cut an "X" directly in the middle of the scorch protector you can thread a cord through it to make your own mouse baffle.