PDA

View Full Version : Resupplying on fuel for MSR Whisperlite

gstab
02-02-2013, 15:13
My wife and I are taking our MSR Whisperlite (non-international) along for our thru hike. We were also planning to take the 11oz fuel bottle, as opposed to the 20oz. My question is about how available fuel will be for us along the AT. Are we going to have to go out of our way to find fuel (i.e., Coleman fuel, white gas, naphtha)? Or will it be available at most gas stations, supermarkets, etc. where we would be resupplying on food? (I've heard varying standpoints on whether regular gasoline is a good idea, but it might work in a pinch?) Thanks for any input!

moldy
02-02-2013, 15:30
You will not have to go far out of your way to find fuel whiel hiking the Appalachian Trail. Hardware and sporting goods stores will have coleman fuel. Some gas stations have white gas and all gas stations have regular unleaded gas. Regular unleaded gas works fine except it smokes a bit and does not smell as nice but it works well.

RockDoc
02-02-2013, 16:52
It's all over the place, sometimes even free in hiker boxes.

MuddyWaters
02-02-2013, 22:22
You really need to think lighter than a 13 oz stove, not including anything else.
That stove is for winter, or very large pots.

Blissful
02-03-2013, 13:12
A MSR pocket rocket works fine for two people. My son and I used it.

Whisperlight is heavy and they sound like jet planes taking off. I've also smelled the gasoline fumes at the shelters. Not a great scent.