PDA

View Full Version : Food Supply Question

Jcmyers78
02-02-2013, 17:01
What is the difference in the kind of food to buy between short and long term supply grocery stores?

bigcranky
02-02-2013, 17:13
You're looking at The Thru-Hiker's Companion? That's an excellent question, and not an easy one to answer. My wife and I just started last year as section editors, and trying to figure that out is somewhat interesting.

In general, to me a short term resupply is something like a gas station convenience store. They'll have a small selection of food, including stuff that makes backpackers happy, like Pop Tarts, beef sticks and jerky, cheese, crackers, Snickers, and ramen noodles. A hiker can grab enough food for a couple of days, but there won't be a huge selection, nor much stock, so a bunch of hikers can wipe them out before you get there.

Long term resupply is usually a "real" grocery store, though of course that means different things in different places. Any small full-service store in a larger town counts, like an IGA or a Kroger, all the way up to major supermarkets.

Larger country stores will be on the border between the two. Some will have a great selection, others won't.

Sly can probably provide more information on this.

Slo-go'en
02-02-2013, 17:29
Yep, when you see "short term" think "snacks".

burrito
02-02-2013, 17:49
i would add that places that have things like ,powdered mild or instant mashed potatoes, cous cous, etc should be taken advantage of when you find them

bigcranky
02-02-2013, 17:59
One reason it's not an easy question is that hikers differ. There are plenty of little gas stations where I could resupply for a week -- it's all junk food, of course, but it would work. Other hikers would take one look at the same store and be totally grossed out -- there's no organic dehydrated black beans, no free range oatmeal. :)

So, as in all things, your mileage may vary.

prain4u
02-02-2013, 21:37
Other hikers would take one look at the same store and be totally grossed out -- there's no ......free range oatmeal.

"There's no free range oatmeal". For some strange reason, I found that to be one of the more humorous replies that I have seen on Whiteblaze in a long time.

(For the record, most stores keep their free range oatmeal right next to the vegan beefsteaks and gluten-free wheat bread. If you can't find it there, try looking in the same section as the unicorn milk and Sasquatch burgers)

Another Kevin
02-03-2013, 10:35
I thought free-range oatmeal was the sort that got planted by people sowing wild oats?

Old Boots
02-03-2013, 10:57
Very droll for a Sunday am, folks.

Odd Man Out
02-03-2013, 11:09
Cost could be another issue. You could buy a giant size bag of trail mix at a regular grocery store for not much more than a single-serving size available at the gas station. So while the short-term supply might have everything you want or need, you are more likely going to have to pay through the nose.

(OK, my final four words above are an obvious set up for those inclined to witty retorts)

JAK
02-03-2013, 11:40
Well I guess it depends on long term vs short term whether you mean high cost or simply that there will be another opportunity within a day or two to buy some more at the same price, whether it is cheap or at a premium. Lots of variables. For instance if its a Mom and Pop place offering a nice home cooked breakfast or beans and brown bread, with friendly service, I would totally go for it and pay a premium even if I had enough supplies to hike through. If it was a corner store of gas station with inflated prices and no real effort, owner not present just a low payed employee, I would make the calculation from a purely mathematical perspective, and hike on through if I could.

But whatever you do, do not cut off your nose to bite your face.

jeffmeh
02-03-2013, 11:46
One reason it's not an easy question is that hikers differ. There are plenty of little gas stations where I could resupply for a week -- it's all junk food, of course, but it would work. Other hikers would take one look at the same store and be totally grossed out -- there's no organic dehydrated black beans, no free range oatmeal. :)

So, as in all things, your mileage may vary.

"Free range oatmeal" got me too, lol.

Blissful
02-03-2013, 13:15
Cost could be another issue. You could buy a giant size bag of trail mix at a regular grocery store for not much more than a single-serving size available at the gas station. So while the short-term supply might have everything you want or need, you are more likely going to have to pay through the nose.

A buck tuna packet is doubled at least in the convenience stores, sometimes even more.

Blissful
02-03-2013, 13:18
One reason it's not an easy question is that hikers differ. There are plenty of little gas stations where I could resupply for a week -- it's all junk food, of course, but it would work.

If you are going for long term hiking, i.e. several weeks or thru hike - I totally do not recommend this kind of diet. It will get you in the end. The added fats and carbs wreck your system. With thru hiking your body chew muscle. It increases systemic inflammation. And the effects after the hike is done means more pounds and muscle side effects to your overall health. Good nutrition is severely lacking in hikers. Esp if you are older, good nutrition is crucial.

bigcranky
02-03-2013, 13:39
Understood, but if it's the difference between eating and not eating for several days or a week, I'm going to choose eating. YMMV.

Mags
02-03-2013, 14:54
My own definition that seem to work. More for the Colorado Trail, than the AT, but should apply:

Marginal resupply – Soda, chips, snacks. Maybe some ramen or canned goods if you are lucky.. Hard resupply basically.
Moderate resupply - All the basics, if not many choices. Your typical small town grocery store.You'll be able to get everything you need for a few days of trail.
Full Service - Has a super market, often an outfitter of some sort. Anything you need will probably be in this town.

Mountain Mike
02-03-2013, 16:16
If you are worried about it, try going into a gas station store & buy enough food for a few days on the trail. Eat it for two or three days. Ultimately you have to decide if it works for you or if you should plan differently. Personally I rarely rely on the "limited" resupplies but there are some great delis in some! Lunch & Maybe carry a sub for dinner ( No Mayo).

wyclif
02-03-2013, 16:18
I never resupply at those gas stations unless totally desperate, which is almost never. I just hit Kroger, Food Lion, or whatever the local supermarket is. I just take my pack right in the store. I don't really care if the employees or customers gawk. If they have any questions, they can just ask me. One time a security guy asked me what was in my pack. I considered a typical smart ass retort but when I told him we were hiking the AT he went away.

JAK
02-03-2013, 17:39
Some places near trails up here are geared more towards hunting and camping, like canned beans and bread and pancake mix, but that can be fun for a change now and then. Sometimes you have to be innovative. Some of it is heavy, and still sometimes a little overpriced but within reason, and better than all junk food. Some junk food stops are ok as long as its not too much too often.

prain4u
02-03-2013, 18:58
Some places near trails up here are geared more towards hunting and camping, like canned beans and bread and pancake mix, but that can be fun for a change now and then. Sometimes you have to be innovative. Some of it is heavy, and still sometimes a little overpriced but within reason, and better than all junk food. Some junk food stops are ok as long as its not too much too often.

I must confess, that from time to time, I still like hiking with a few canned goods and just heating them in the can itself by placing them in/near a fire. Takes me back to my earliest hiking/camping days when canned goods were still somewhat the norm for camping/hiking (but slowly dying out).

I once cooked a 5 pound canned ham (right in the can) and a bunch of us ate it. It tasted great (for a canned ham) after eating typical trail food for a while.

bigcranky
02-03-2013, 19:20
I never resupply at those gas stations unless totally desperate, which is almost never. I just hit Kroger, Food Lion, or whatever the local supermarket is.

Well, sure, if you have the choice, this is a no-brainer. But there are plenty of places where there are not local supermarkets, just the gas station/country store grocery.

henry g wilgo
03-31-2013, 12:56
Ok food factors,,,bring some,,mail drop some,,buy some.....moderation....
******has anyone died of starvation......on the trail????

Mountain Mike
03-31-2013, 13:02
Ok food factors,,,bring some,,mail drop some,,buy some.....moderation....
******has anyone died of starvation......on the trail????

By the hundreds. Whole stairways complete with railings made of their bones! ATC says they dropped off the trail, but actually they dropped on the trail. That thing you hear about hiker funk is not sweat, it's from walking through the decaying corpses. Best stay off the trail if you aren't prepared.

jrabbott
03-31-2013, 15:31
My own definition that seem to work. More for the Colorado Trail, than the AT, but should apply:

Marginal resupply – Soda, chips, snacks. Maybe some ramen or canned goods if you are lucky.. Hard resupply basically.
Moderate resupply - All the basics, if not many choices. Your typical small town grocery store.You'll be able to get everything you need for a few days of trail.
Full Service - Has a super market, often an outfitter of some sort. Anything you need will probably be in this town.

This is an excellent reply. I wonder if someone has a breakdown based on the above of what is available at different crossings of the AT where one can get to a resupply point within say 30 min or less by hitchhike?? This would be really cool on the Google Map of the AT - then you could see if a dropbox is needed or not.

Thanks!!!!!

atraildreamer
04-01-2013, 10:23

(OK, my final four words above are an obvious set up for those inclined to witty retorts)

OK...here you go: Good thing money is green! (Ew-w-w-w :eek: ) :D :banana