PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst/Circuit VS. Go Lite Jam 50L

i_Hike
02-02-2013, 19:23
Anyone have any comments on either of these packs?

Currently own an Osprey Atmos 50, which I love, though it is fairly beat up after hiking the A.T. a few years back. Planning a JMT hike this year and have realized that fitting a required bear canister in the Atmos 50 is nearly impossible given the design of the packs "air flow suspension " system.

Basically, I am thinking of switching to pack that has just a straight up 'center console' so to speak, and the Go lite Jam 50 and the ULA Catalyst seem to fit the description. The ULA website says the Cataylast can fit a bear canister ( BV 500 or Garcia) horizontally, which is kind of exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any info!

topshelf
02-02-2013, 19:32
what is your average pack weight? max pack weight?

i_Hike
02-02-2013, 19:44
25 lbs. - 40lbs. Max

bigcranky
02-02-2013, 19:56
Given that weight range, I'd get the Catalyst. I don't think a Jam would be comfortable with over 25 pounds -- I'm certain that I would be miserable above that, anyway. The Circuit is great to 30, and usable to 35, but a bear can has to go in vertically.

topshelf
02-02-2013, 20:12
Given that weight range, I'd get the Catalyst. I don't think a Jam would be comfortable with over 25 pounds -- I'm certain that I would be miserable above that, anyway. The Circuit is great to 30, and usable to 35, but a bear can has to go in vertically.

exactly....

mussleman1234
02-02-2013, 20:54
I prefer the circuit pack then the catalyst pack

MuddyWaters
02-02-2013, 23:57
If you are going to carry 40 lbs much, you will be probably be happier with a conventional pack with heavy duty hipbelt.

Turk6177
02-04-2013, 08:59
I can not say enough great words about my ULA Catalyst. It is like a part of me. My only critique is that I am not as limber as some, so I have to take an arm out to get a platypus water bottle out of the side pocket. It is made in the USA. I have not tried the GoLite, so I can not compare. I can only tell you how much I love my Catalyst.

skinewmexico
02-04-2013, 10:20
I prefer the circuit pack then the catalyst pack

Agree. And the Circuit is closer in size to the Jam.

i_Hike
02-04-2013, 10:33
Just placed an order for a ULA Circuit. Just heard too many good things.

While Catalyst might be better for my JMT hike this summer (bear canister hhorizontally) , I figure in the long run I'll prefer the smaller pack. Also I am hiking JMT with girlfriend, so whle I'll need to carry large bear canister vertically, she can carry the tent, or my sleeping bag, or pad or cooking gear to lessen my 'volume', though not necessarily the weight... you get the point.

I am confident we'll make it work. don't plan to carry more than 2 liters of water at a time... Probably never more than one actually, given that we are planning for June hike, and my only concern is too much water (river crossings)

Astro
02-04-2013, 10:37
Just placed an order for a ULA Circuit. Just heard too many good things.

While Catalyst might be better for my JMT hike this summer (bear canister hhorizontally) , I figure in the long run I'll prefer the smaller pack. Also I am hiking JMT with girlfriend, so whle I'll need to carry large bear canister vertically, she can carry the tent, or my sleeping bag, or pad or cooking gear to lessen my 'volume', though not necessarily the weight... you get the point.

I am confident we'll make it work. don't plan to carry more than 2 liters of water at a time... Probably never more than one actually, given that we are planning for June hike, and my only concern is too much water (river crossings)

I also have a Catalyst. While it may handle your 25-40 lbs, I would still recommend looking for some ways to get your weight down some. I believe you will really be glad you did if you do. Every little bit helps. :)

i_Hike
02-04-2013, 13:37
Ordered pack late last night (sunday),received shipping confirmation around 10am this morning (monday) Granted my pack wasn't personally customized in any way, but customer service has been as advertised. Simply amazing.
I sent emails backs and forth with Chris, and he confirmed that the Circuit would be better fit , referencing the fact that I'm have been using an Atmos 50, with room to spare on AT thru. Said bear canister would require more attention to packing in circuit vs catalyst , but is more than doable.

Adfischer
02-09-2013, 23:42
You wont be sorry on your decision. The Catalyst is an excellent pack that will give you many years of service. Congratulations on your purchase!

Nooga
03-24-2013, 11:56
I think the Catalyst is a good pack, but I do not think that it is a well thought out design. I used one from on my thru hike from Harper Ferry to Kathadin.
Cons: It squeaked with every step the whole way.
I had trouble accessing my water bottles wearing the pack. It seemed that the side sleeves were very shallow and designed to fit a Listerene bottle than a Nalgene/Gatorade bottle.
In the rain, the pack allowed water to enter (I think at the shoulder straps connection) even using a good rain cover. They designed the pack with a very good water proof bottom, so the water pooled in the bottom. Thankfully. I used a compactor garbage lining so things stayed dry. I am lucking to add a grommet in the bottom of the pack. If water enters, you need a path for it to escape.
I don't know if it is the materials, but it seemed to be the hottest pack that I have ever worn.
I do not care for the waist belt design. For me, it seemed that the medium was too large and the small was too small.
Did I mention that it squeaked.

Nooga
03-24-2013, 11:56
I think the Catalyst is a good pack, but I do not think that it is a well thought out design. I used one from on my thru hike from Harper Ferry to Kathadin.
Cons: It squeaked with every step the whole way.
I had trouble accessing my water bottles wearing the pack. It seemed that the side sleeves were very shallow and designed to fit a Listerene bottle rather than a Nalgene/Gatorade bottle.
In the rain, the pack allowed water to enter (I think at the shoulder straps connection) even using a good rain cover. They designed the pack with a very good water proof bottom, so the water pooled in the bottom. Thankfully. I used a compactor garbage lining so things stayed dry. I am looking to add a grommet in the bottom of the pack. If water enters, you need a path for it to escape.
I don't know if it is the materials, but it seemed to be the hottest pack that I have ever worn.
I do not care for the waist belt design. For me, it seemed that the medium was too large and the small was too small.
Did I mention that it squeaked.

Vthiker77
01-19-2014, 06:23
I have both the circuit and the jam 50. 25lbs and under the jam and the circuit are both wonderful packs. However when I roll through the adirondacks and take my bear can with me, I grab the circuit. 40lbs is is doable but 35 lbs is a very comfy. I've got close to 1000 miles on my circuit and it still looks like new.