PDA

View Full Version : Really need help on Long Underwear

bishopj
02-02-2013, 22:32
Hi folks need help on long underwear i have got and send back or gave away 5 to 6 Pairs of long
underwear my top stay really warm but the top part of legs get cold have not try smartwool yet.
Seen a pair of long underwear at campmor call coldpruf the reviews were all 4 1/2 to 5 stars on the underwear. Have any of you hear of this brand and how well they work.

Thank :confused:

aficion
02-02-2013, 22:36
Have not tried coldpruf but very happy with the smartwool. Toasty warm and surprisingly not too itchy. Also have some good insulating ability even when wet.

The Cleaner
02-02-2013, 23:16
To keep your legs warm in cool to cold weather you need some brand of merino wool and something for wind protection.In winter a lot of folks wear shorts with long underwear.I don't like this combo,I'd rather wear softshell pants which block wind and breath better on uphill climbs.Then at camp I'll put on the long underwear bottoms for around camp and sleeping.Then in the morning I can put my pants on over the LJ bottoms and remove later as I warm up.I just bought a pair of Marmot Scree soft shell pants and found that they worked well by themselves in 30* temps with some wind blowing.There are several types of wind pants available and you will have to try some till you find what works for you.Of course the gram weanies travel as light as possible and suffer some discomfort to save a few ounces.It's up to you to find what works for you in the weather you will be out in....

snowblind
02-03-2013, 01:11
How cold are we talking about?

When hiking in some colder weather, maybe down to low 20's, I was wearing my pair of Under Armour long underwear, Nike Polyester shorts, REI Nylon rain pants, and Darn Tuff 'Hunter' socks that go up over the calf. This kept me warm, and had the temp been lower, it would not have been enough. The U-A long underwear though, are not as thick as you'd think, and I plan on getting thicker pair if I can find them. Don't personally care for smartwool base, and am hesitant to try Columbia 'omni-heat' base layer for bottoms.