PDA

View Full Version : Trail washout on the BMT

SGT Rock
02-03-2013, 11:14
I just got this yesterday. It looks like all the flooding has washed out a section of the BMT. This is about 2 miles south of the Hiwassee Scenic River Outfitter on Lost Creek. For those that have hiked this section you may remember it. It is one of my favorite sections as I think it is one of the prettiest sections of the trail. The trail is still passable, but be careful.

We will probably schedule a work trip to fix this soon.

JAK
02-03-2013, 11:25
Do you think you should try and move that section of the trail to the other side of the stream, or further up the slope?
Just curious.

SGT Rock
02-03-2013, 11:34
The other side of the stream is not really an option since it would create two stream crossings that could become major fords during storms. We already have enough of those. This is going to require moving the trail up the hill. This section is old railroad bed so the trail was just routed down that. I't been there for about 100 years (just guessing).

Dogwood
02-03-2013, 12:00
For when do you think the work trip will be scheduled? If I'm in the area I would like to offer to help with the work. I'm in Alpharetta GA now. It wouldn't be difficult for me to get up to the work site.

SGT Rock
02-03-2013, 12:03
Thanks for the offer.

I'm looking at February 23rd. More details to follow. I'd like to come in from the Reliance end since it would make for a good link up point and closest road access. But as I recall there are some issues with the "ownership" of the road on that end. The other end is uncontested but is about twice as far to walk and the link up point would require a longer drive time to get to.

Dogwood
02-03-2013, 12:34
I'll note that date Sgt Rock. I'll try to remember to contact you shortly before it to confirm. If possible can you send me a PM/email to remind me or if the work date changes? Thanks.

SGT Rock
02-03-2013, 12:37
I'll try to remember LOL. It shouldn't be a problem. Right now I'm trying to figure what I need to coordinate this.

Tipi Walter
02-03-2013, 12:49
Thanks for the offer.

I'm looking at February 23rd. More details to follow. I'd like to come in from the Reliance end since it would make for a good link up point and closest road access. But as I recall there are some issues with the "ownership" of the road on that end. The other end is uncontested but is about twice as far to walk and the link up point would require a longer drive time to get to.

If I remember correctly the BMT goes thru the Hiwassee Outfitter campground (south) and goes under a railroad trestle and soon crosses Ellis Creek which is used as a driveway to various homes, and some guy had a small bulldozer down there and developing either a house site or a cleared spot for car camping. It sucked knowing his driveway would also be Ellis Creek.

After the crossing (going south) the BMT climbs a very steep asphalt road up "Ellis Nut Mountain" only to arrive at a gated home on top of the mountain and then the trail veers right I think and heads down to Lost Creek. Your picture is looking south I think and there seems to be ample room for a small detour as the old logging cut thru there is pretty wide.

I like Lost Creek too but being a tent camper I found very few spots on the lower part of the creek to camp although there are 2 big ones higher up, the highest being close to that car campground which I can't remember the name of---and there seems to be a couple vehicle fords across Lost Creek in these areas.

The best part of Lost Creek to me is the "gorge" section and here is a pic from my last trip---

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/13084/tj13084%5F062212%5F094935%5F675882.jpg

SGT Rock
02-03-2013, 12:57
That is about the way I remember it. The FS has a gate on that road that cuts off cars from accessing the trail. I've heard that either the guy with the gated house, or the one with the vacation house next to the ford site thinks that road belongs to him. I'm waiting for some feedback from the FS guy for that area.

Blissful
02-03-2013, 13:28
Thanks for what you are doing!! Really appreciate it.

JAK
02-03-2013, 15:42
So you saying a portion of the old railroad bed washed out? That must have been quite something. How stable is the rest of the slope now? If it's like around here there isn't much topsoil, so the terrain is actually pretty forgiving. We get erosion and washouts and some slides, but its all fairly superficial in the grand scheme of things because it's all on top of fairly solid rock. Wish I could help it would be fun to see that part of the world. Hope to hike it some day.

SGT Rock
02-03-2013, 18:42
Yes, part of what had been railroad bed washed out. It was pretty bad around here. I haven't gone down to my section to check, but I assume that Slickrock Creek is going to need work. I also know that Stiffknee (feeds into Slickrock in that area) already needed some work, so chances are it needs a lot of work now. And that will be a challenge since Stiffknee is in the Slickrock Wilderness area and prevents us from using any power tools.

10-K
02-03-2013, 18:51
I wonder what the ford at Slickrock Creek looked like? :)

SGT Rock
02-03-2013, 19:34
I'd like to know too. I'm heading down to Reliance Tuesday to take a look. Maybe Wednesday I'll take some light trail tools and go look at the Tapoco to Stiffknee section if time permits.

blisterbob
02-04-2013, 09:30
On 2/1/2013
There was a trail trail closure due to slides sign at the point the BMT leaves the Cherohala Skyway northbound.

ATMountainTime
02-04-2013, 11:02
+1 for helping out. Let me know, have chainsaw, will travel :)

SGT Rock
02-04-2013, 13:10
On 2/1/2013
There was a trail trail closure due to slides sign at the point the BMT leaves the Cherohala Skyway northbound.
Yes, that sign has been there a few years. There has been an issue in that section that hasn't been easy to resolve, so for now it is a road walk on the Cherohala between the Beech Gap parking area and the gated road that is about 0.1 miles west on the Cherohala.

Tipi Walter
02-04-2013, 13:24
Yes, that sign has been there a few years. There has been an issue in that section that hasn't been easy to resolve, so for now it is a road walk on the Cherohala between the Beech Gap parking area and the gated road that is about 0.1 miles west on the Cherohala.

Problem with that spot is someone needs to paint a blaze on the forest bar gate going into the Fodderstack. A couple years ago Superman did the roadwalk and completely passed the turn and kept walking down the Skyway. He turned around eventually. Plus, the washed out footbridge part of the BMT can be walked anyway with a small detour downhill and around the ditch.

10-K
02-04-2013, 13:31
If I recall there's not a blaze on the bar but there is a forest service trail sign with "Trail #2" emblazoned on it very close to the bar crossing the road.

I caught up with Superman in GSMNP....

SGT Rock
02-06-2013, 20:52
Problem with that spot is someone needs to paint a blaze on the forest bar gate going into the Fodderstack. A couple years ago Superman did the roadwalk and completely passed the turn and kept walking down the Skyway. He turned around eventually. Plus, the washed out footbridge part of the BMT can be walked anyway with a small detour downhill and around the ditch.
I got a report by two thru-hikers that said they spent 2 hours trying to get around that wash out. I don't understand what would take 2 hours.

SGT Rock
02-06-2013, 20:53
For those that have asked to help:

What: This month’s work trip is going to be to repair the trail on Lost Creek which has been undercut and partially collapsed from recent flooding. The task will be to build about 140’ of trail further from the bank which is where what is left of the current trail is still collapsing into Lost Creek due to the creek undercutting the bank.

When & Where: We will meet at the trail head on FS 103 aka Lost Creek Road at approx 0900 on 23 February. The walk to the maintenance point is about 1.9 miles from the Trail Head, is mostly flat walking and passes though the area I like to refer to as the “Lost Creek George” which is beautiful. Maintenance and walking time should be between 4-5 hours.

How: A good bit of the work will be done with chainsaws so we want to have two certified sawyers with some swampers to help them. One brush cutter which I will bring; and loppers, pulaskis, McLeod, fire rakes, etc will be needed for clearing the trail bed and some side hill work. If you want to bring your own tools, that is what I encourage you to bring with you.

What to bring and prepare for: The average weather for this time is high around 53 and low around 34. There is not a lot of direct sunlight to the area most of the day so expect cool weather. Bring snacks, water, and appropriate clothing for the conditions. Water is plentiful if you want to get it from the creek, but you may want to have a way to filter/treat. If you have a hard hat and gloves please bring them. It is not hunting season, so vests should not be needed.

I hope to get about 10 people to help. So far I have about 3 promised to come.

To find the trailhead: https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=35.159249,-84.470315&hl=en&sll=35.16395,-84.471302&sspn=0.022208,0.045447&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=15

Thanks.

Tipi Walter
02-07-2013, 10:54
I got a report by two thru-hikers that said they spent 2 hours trying to get around that wash out. I don't understand what would take 2 hours.

Back in July 2008 the new footbridge at Beech Gap was in good shape but then it got washed away and never fixed although there were attempts. Here are some fotogs of that little stretch of trail.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/With-Troll-and-Pulling-the/i-dVnrqMK/0/M/TRIP%2080%20005-M.jpg
Here's the bridge when it was usable back in 2008.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/Thru-Hikers-on-the-Benton/i-46RJ6Mb/0/M/TRIP%20109%20055-M.jpg
Then in 2010 some trail workers from Georgia came out to winch the thing around but never got to setting it into place.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/Thru-Hikers-on-the-Benton/i-DnW6XPN/0/M/TRIP%20109%20056-M.jpg
Here they are hard at work back in 2010. Have fun, boys.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/Six-Days-with-Little-Mitten-on/i-WhpSC65/0/M/TRIP%20108%20004-M.jpg
The actual trail is a little above the bridge but a decent detour starts on the left (when coming from the south) and parallels the ditch by the blue ribbon and crosses about where I'm standing, a very easy hike and nothing taking 2 hours.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/Six-Days-with-Little-Mitten-on/i-Rvw4zZQ/0/M/TRIP%20108%20003-M.jpg
The Crosscut Mountain Boys posted this trailsign to close the trail so some people walk around and some don't.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/Six-Days-with-Little-Mitten-on/i-PNTLjN7/0/M/TRIP%20108%20010-M.jpg
As luck would have it I caught Little Mitten doing the "unauthorized" trail and she knows she's in deep doo-doo. Further paperwork was necessary.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/Six-Days-with-Little-Mitten-on/i-ZrCCwrP/0/M/TRIP%20108%20297-M.jpg
Here's the section of trail we're talking about and shows a guy named Schwartz thruhiking the BMT back in 2010. The Skyway road is up and to the left.