PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned but still learning about maildrops

RETCW4
02-03-2013, 17:13
I started planning my thru hike about five years ago. All I had was Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce's Planning Guide. I figured 23 maildrops and started buying supplies in 2011. Since then I learned that most hikers buy supplies in town.
Lesson Learned - Keep up to date when planning your hike. Since I had supplies bought, I am doing 16 maildrops, two of which will be swapping out gear.

My resupply schedule is listed below:
Neels Gap Buy 7 days
Standing Indian Campground Buy 2 days
WESSER, NC MD 1 2 days
FONTANA DAM, NC MD 2 5 days
Gatlinburg Buy 6 days
HOT SPRINGS, NC MD 3 5 days
ERWIN, TN MD 4 9 days
DAMASCUS. VA MD 5 5 days
Bland, VA Buy 2 days
PEARISBURG, VA MD 6 5 days
TROUTVILLE, VA MD 7 10 days
WAYNESBORO, VA MD 8 11 days
HARPERS FERRY, WV MD 9 7 days
Duncannon, VA Buy 5 days
Port Clinton, PA Buy 6 days
DELAWARE WATER GAP. PA MD 10 7 days
BEAR MOUNTAIN, NY MD 11 3 days
Kent, CT Buy 7 days
CHESHIRE, MA MD 12 4 days
Manchester Ctr, VT Buy 7 days
HANOVER, NH MD 13 2 days
GLENCLIFF, NH MD 14 7 days
GORHAM, NH MD 15 4 days
Andover, ME Buy 5 days
Stratton, ME Buy 5 days
MONSON, ME MD 16 8 days
Abol Campground Buy 2 days

Malto
02-03-2013, 18:54
I think the first question I would ask is why are you planning mail drops at all? I get gear drops but why the rest? If you have no special diet needs or other reasons then there are many locations such as hot springs that you could easily buy in town. I did extensive mail drops on my thru hike (pct) because the food I wanted couldn't be found in town and was also on a fast schedule and did mail drops because it was quicker. But if I were doing a normal AT hike I would do very few mail drops because there are so many convenient resupply points.

Mountain Mike
02-03-2013, 18:58
Because he states he already has the food.

Sly
02-03-2013, 19:09
If you shop frugally, and/or dehydrate a lot, even with the cost of postage, mail drops can save you money, and offer better choices. They're also one way of guaranteeing on having food up the trail, rather than blowing your budget early on.

bigcranky
02-03-2013, 19:18
Can you buy food at Standing Indian? The little camp store had ice cream and sodas the last time I was there.

WingedMonkey
02-03-2013, 19:39
Sitting in a bed eating out of a mail drop while you pack is so much more entertaining than stopping every three days for junk food.

Steve Jennette
02-03-2013, 19:50
Winged...where would you suggest mail drops? I had not planned any, but sounds like maybe I should do some? Thanks.

yellowsirocco
02-03-2013, 21:09
Send a drop to Neels Gap, their food is expensive and the selection is kind of narrowed to general hiker food (not much variety).

Also look into the Blueberry Patch for a possible drop, they are a nice place to stay and rest. It is very relaxing and you need a break early on in your trip. They will take you into town to the supermarket, but a mail drop will avoid that trip. They don't allow alcohol or tobacco which is nice if you are trying to get away from the roving party. And they have a wood stove and a very good homemade breakfast. If you can't tell, I love this place.

Send a box to Gatlinburg. The Grocery store is on the outside of town and it will take you 3 hours to get there and back by bus. Not a fun trip.

Moose2001
02-03-2013, 21:11
You really need to read Baltimore Jack's resupply articles. WAY too many mail drops!

pistol p
02-03-2013, 22:53
You really need to read Baltimore Jack's resupply articles. WAY too many mail drops!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?15-resupply

soilman
02-03-2013, 23:39
I used mail drops for locations where a good source of resupply was not available. I also tried to avoid PO and use hostels or other alternatives to have my package sent. Some of the locations you have listed to buy have limited or no source, eg. Port Clinton you will have a hard time finding 6 days of food unless you go into Hamburg. Andover you may find 5 days but it will be limited and expensive. It would make more sense to me to buy at some locations such as Daleville, Damascus, Waynesboro, and Pearisburg where there are big super markets.

RETCW4
02-07-2013, 09:12
Thanks to everyone for commenting. I'll readjust some of my resupply points.

RETCW4
02-07-2013, 09:16
Can you buy food at Standing Indian? The little camp store had ice cream and sodas the last time I was there.
I was looking for a couple of days supply between Long Branch Shelter and Cold Spring Shelter without going into Franklin.

bigcranky
02-07-2013, 09:39
Franklin is a really easy hitch on US 64 to and from town. There are several major grocery stores, etc. It should be fairly easy to do a resupply for the whole Nantahala section in about 5 hours total if you're focused.

Looking at the 2013 Companion, they list the Standing Indian Campground as having groceries, and in the description say it has a small camp store. If I were going to count on that for a couple of days' resupply, I would call the forest service and ask about what they carry. I haven't been there in a few years, so it may have changed.

RETCW4
02-07-2013, 09:47
Thanks Big Cranky. My AWOL Guide also lists Standing Indian Campground as having a Campstore with small selection of foods and a phone number. Think I'll call them.

RETCW4
02-09-2013, 16:59
I have revised my Resupply. My reasioning is due to sending maps. portions of the AT guide and food already bought. Thanks for everyone's responses. See you on the trail in about a month.

START OF HIKE Take from home 3 days
Neels Gap Buy 4 days
Hiawassee Buy 5 days
Franklin Buy 2 days
WESSER, NC MD 1 2 days
FONTANA DAM, NC MD 2 5 days
Gatlinburg Buy 6 days
HOT SPRINGS, NC MD 3 5 days
ERWIN, TN Buy 9 days
DAMASCUS. VA MD 4 5 days
Bland, VA Buy 2 days
PEARISBURG, VA MD 5 5 days
Troutville, VA Buy 9 days
WAYNESBORO, VA MD 6 11 days
HARPERS FERRY, WV MD 7 7 days
Duncannon, VA Buy 5 days
PORT CLINTON, PA MD 8 6 days
DELAWARE WATER GAP. PA MD 9 7 days
FORT MONTGOMERY, NY MD 10 3 days
Kent, CT Buy 7 days
CHESHIRE, MA MD 11 4 days
Manchester Ctr, VT Buy 8 days
HANOVER, NH MD 12 2 days
North Woodstock, NH Buy 7 days
GORHAM, NH MD 13 4 days
Andover, ME Buy 5 days
Stratton, ME Buy 5 days
MONSON, ME MD 14 8 days
Abol Buy 2 days

Werdigo
02-13-2013, 13:22

Why this strong antipathy to mail drops?

Is there something inherently better about relying on small convenience stores, or spending an hour or two roaming around a large supermarket, than simply picking up a small box, dumping its contents into one's pack, and being back on the road (trail)?

Baltimore Jack does a lot of hitchhiking. I don't like hitching rides.

There are plenty of grocery resupply stores within a couple of miles of the trail (or even on it), and I don't mind walking that, but I'd rather rely on "short-term resupply" sources for treats (a small container of cole slaw, yogurt, etc.) than for my main meals.

Moose's long-path experience makes mine look like nothing, so I'm prepared to be educated. This food-planning business is my biggest anxiety about the upcoming (March 11) walk.

max patch
02-13-2013, 13:31
I used mail drops on my first thru, won't use them on my second. Putting aside the issues of trying to decide now what you are going to want to eat 6 months from now, and the costs associated with mailing boxes to yourself, the main reason for my decision is that even with a maildrop you STILL HAVE TO TO THE GROCERY STORE.

waasj
03-14-2013, 21:44
Was in the Standing Indian store this summer 2012 and I would not plan to resupply there. Nice folks etc. justlimited options as far as I could tell. Franklin on a hitch would be a better option IMO.

capehiker
03-26-2013, 17:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?15-resupply

Bookmarked. Thanks for the link. :)

I'm looking at only a handful of mail drops for gear and meds and maybe some dehy veggies and fruits.

RangerZ
03-26-2013, 21:29
Thanks, Chief. Hope you're doing well on the trail. I'm planning for CY15 or post. RangerZ

SOBO_Pace
03-26-2013, 22:16
I would mail drop almost all of Maine except for Rangeley. Nothing in Andover and Monson but the hostels and gas stations. Caratunk there is nothing but growlers of beer, and limited supplies at Abol bridge. Stratton has a over priced grocery/ general goods store.

PACE