PDA

View Full Version : condoments how to carry ??

Tramp
02-03-2013, 22:50
What condoments do you carry and how ( in what container ) do you carry them in ?
I would like to take ketsup,mustard,hot sauce,soy sauce, salt ,pepper, maybe mayo. Those packets are kinda nice but might break & trash to pack out. Small plastic bottles might be an option. Just would like to know what you use if any.

T-Rx
02-03-2013, 23:06
All I ever take is black pepper, hot sauce, olive oil and some times soy sauce? I put the olive oil in a small plastic bottle and try to save the small take out packets of hot sauce, pepper and soy sauce from local restaraunts by just picking up a few extra packs each time I go there. My motto is keep it simple.

BigRing
02-03-2013, 23:28
I save individual salt, pepper, and other seasoning packets from restaurants....then place them in a snack or sandwich size ziplock. Spices go into a piece of straw folded over and taped. Oil goes in small plastic bottle.

Siestita
02-03-2013, 23:41
Mayo might be better left at home,to avoid potential food poisoning. It may spoil if not refrigerated.

SOBO_Pace
02-04-2013, 00:14
I used a couple air plane liquor bottles to hold a couple things then would refill them in towns or at hostels

SCRUB HIKER
02-04-2013, 00:16
I love mustard, so I sometimes bought a bottle (small, plastic) of Inglehoffer's Stone Ground when I could find it in the grocery stores. That's only a good strategy for long-distance hiking, though, when it's worth that weight because your taste buds are so deprived. It would take me 2 weeks or so to finish each little container. For not-long-distance hiking I usually use requisitioned packets from fast-food joints.

Tramp
02-04-2013, 00:40
Ok thanks. I worry about the packets breaking. I need to find something to carry them in. Small bottles to.

Leanthree
02-04-2013, 01:00
I have a 4 fluid oz plastic bottle for olive oil which I got from REI. They have a good selection of all sorts of sizes, smaller or larger. A bit heavy for a container for its size but I reuse it so it can't be flimsy and it needs to seal well.

Mayo packets from a fast food restaurant. These don't have to be refrigerated until opened.

If you want spices to taste, then there are plenty of shakers or small bottle options. Slightly lighter and essentially free, but more of a hassle as they are best to measure per meal is to make a packet out aluminum foil, folded up well.

Surplusman
02-04-2013, 05:30
I usually just carry the small glass bottle of Tabasco Sauce as an all-around condiment. Just a couple of drops to most do the job-no need to drench the food. I started carrying bottles of it in the Army in the 60's and I have never had a problem with breakage.

When I do carry condiment packs, they go altogether in a bag from a cereal box. Those bags are tough and waterproof. I use one for trash too.

10-K
02-04-2013, 05:49
I'm a fan of this place: http://www.minimus.biz/Condiments.aspx...

Deacon
02-04-2013, 07:22
I'm a fan of this place: http://www.minimus.biz/Condiments.aspx...

Excellent alternative to restaurant thievery.

daddytwosticks
02-04-2013, 08:07
There is so much salt in processed hiking-related foods that I would never consider carrying salt as a condiment. IMHO. :)

Tramp
02-04-2013, 08:58
All good info... I could use a tupperware sandwitch box, fill with packets & put in my food bag or I could use small 1oz plastic bottles & find or make a case to put them in .....I'm prob. Over thinking this. I tend to do that.

Turk6177
02-04-2013, 09:04
I use the little packets from restaurants and put them in a zip lock bag.

slbirdnerd
02-04-2013, 09:11
Would the restaurant packets fit your cookware maybe? But maybe you want them in your food bag so you can keep it up at night.

yellowsirocco
02-04-2013, 09:33
Would the restaurant packets fit your cookware maybe? But maybe you want them in your food bag so you can keep it up at night.

Cookware should go with your food at night if you are hanging it. It would have a lot of food smell also.

(notice the 'if', i don't do such foolishness)

Gambit
02-12-2013, 13:24
BOOM: Man google is a hell of a drug...
Trail packets (http://www.wildernessdining.com/condiments.html)

oh and

Condiments to-go
(http://www.minimus.biz/Condiments.aspx?sortorder=6&page=1)
If it is for conversation sake I understand but if peoples questions are out of bewilderment then I just dont understand lol(not trolling, just saying lol)

tds1195
02-12-2013, 15:00
I pretty much only us seasonings - no sauce. They're a bit lighter and easier to carry. I have one of these: 19638http://www.rei.com/pix/common/pixel.gif19639

FarmerChef
02-12-2013, 15:08
I usually bring salt, pepper and olive oil. Salt and pepper get dumped into a piece of plastic wrap that is then folded over on itself a few times and twisted shut. Olive oil goes in a small container. If I want more, I'll create submixes (like powdered onion and powdered garlic mixed together) and put those in little McCormick's containers (about a half an ounce). For liquid condiments, I'll snag a few of those at restaurants when I'm eating there. If I have a burrito at taco bell I'll grab a couple of packets of hot sauce and just eat my burrito plain. No thievery here. You can also always ask a service person permission to take a few extra. They'll rarely turn you down in my experience. Oh and Mayo can be had in individual packets as well. Hard to find in restaurants but you can order online from the links others have posted.

RETCW4
02-12-2013, 15:27
Coming from Maryland I got to have Old Bay Seasoning.

Gambit
02-12-2013, 15:38
For liquid condiments, I'll snag a few of those at restaurants when I'm eating there. If I have a burrito at taco bell I'll grab a couple of packets of hot sauce and just eat my burrito plain. No thievery here. You can also always ask a service person permission to take a few extra. They'll rarely turn you down in my experience. Oh and Mayo can be had in individual packets as well. Hard to find in restaurants but you can order online from the links others have posted.

Im sorry but seriously?
"Excuse me mam...would you care if I grabbed a few extra packets of hot sauce?"...no.

and As far as Mayo in a packet? Almost any gas station will have-katsup, mustard, mayo, relish, onion, hot sauce, sometimes A1, salt papper etc....

Zmaidment
02-12-2013, 16:18
I use the mio drink mix containers. They work great and can be refilled with really any liquid be it hot sauce, soy, evoo, shampoo, mouthwash, or even mio drink mix

tds1195
02-12-2013, 16:26
I use the mio drink mix containers. They work great and can be refilled with really any liquid be it hot sauce, soy, evoo, shampoo, mouthwash, or even mio drink mix

That's a great idea, Zmaidment.

Zmaidment
02-12-2013, 16:35
That's a great idea, Zmaidment.

Thank you sir. Don't expect anymore for at least a year. That's about my rate

tds1195
02-12-2013, 16:36
Thank you sir. Don't expect anymore for at least a year. That's about my rate

Alright - February 2014 I'll be expecting another good idea...

Zmaidment
02-12-2013, 16:54
Alright - February 2014 I'll be expecting another good idea...
I have one of those s&p shakers also. Easy enough to refill and perfect amount for 3-4 days. Between that and a mio of hot sauce I'm set. Great minds think alike I guess.

Pingus
02-12-2013, 17:02
I think it's spelled 'condiments'. Condoments may have a slightly diferent meaning.

tds1195
02-12-2013, 17:17
I think it's spelled 'condiments'. Condoments may have a slightly diferent meaning.

Condom+mints...also a good idea. Maybe not necessary for the trail, though. Then again....

FarmerChef
02-12-2013, 17:27
Im sorry but seriously?
"Excuse me mam...would you care if I grabbed a few extra packets of hot sauce?"...no.

and As far as Mayo in a packet? Almost any gas station will have-katsup, mustard, mayo, relish, onion, hot sauce, sometimes A1, salt papper etc....

Perhaps my experience is different from yours. I've never had a problem getting a few extra. That said, I realize that not all establishments are similar.

As for Mayo in a packet, +1 on the gas stations. I've scored some relish there as well.

Hikes in Rain
02-12-2013, 20:37
For pepper, I use a little grinder: http://www.rei.com/product/784121/gsi-outdoors-pepper-grinder

Weighs very little, and the silly thing actually works. Works well enough that when not hiking, it lives in the kitchen with specialty peppercorns. Right now, it's a blend of green, red and black.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2013, 21:25
There is so much salt in processed hiking-related foods that I would never consider carrying salt as a condiment. IMHO. :)

Totally agree - but if you are FBC add to taste.

mrcoffeect
02-12-2013, 22:41
Just carry them in your wallet, that's what i do.:sun

MuddyWaters
02-12-2013, 23:20
I will bring tabasco packets , thats about it.
If bringing tuna and tortillas , I will bring mayo packets. In that case its more a necessary part of the meal, than a condiment.

Gambit
02-13-2013, 10:06
Tabasco comes in packets? I have only seen it in those cheesy little bottles (https://www.google.com/search?q=mini+tabasco&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=w50bUeO4AcOZ0QGGgIHABA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1410&bih=617), like the 1 teaspoon size prolly?

tds1195
02-13-2013, 10:09
Tabasco comes in packets? I have only seen it in those cheesy little bottles (https://www.google.com/search?q=mini+tabasco&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=w50bUeO4AcOZ0QGGgIHABA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1410&bih=617), like the 1 teaspoon size prolly?

Yeah it's typically only enough for one meal. We got these in our MRE's when I was in the Corps. They come in red and green! Good stuff.

Pingus
02-13-2013, 10:11
Yeah it's typically only enough for one meal. We got these in our MRE's when I was in the Corps. They come in red and green! Good stuff.

Thank you for your service. :sun

Linesman
02-14-2013, 20:01
Anyone use a dehydrated alternative to hot sauce? I'm thinking of using chili powder on my next hike instead of the tabasco bottle.

Del Q
02-16-2013, 20:38
10-K Great site, saved the link.

Being honest, on my way back from my last section hike, grabbed a salad and a perrier (same price as water, go figure) on Amtrak, right in front of me were Grey Poupon packets, grabbed a few for my next hike.

Dinner is typically pita bread, Spam single, mustard packet and cheese if I have any................thought that it was kind of humorous that at the end of one I hike I "requisitioned" my mustard (high end at that) for my next hike.

Honey packets are also good for instant energy or with peanut butter.

bealjr85
03-07-2013, 15:08
Would anyone like to split a bulk order from minimus.biz? THEY WILL SHIP TO MORE THAN ONE LOCATION. I'm placing an order for a PCT thru hike for my friend and me, but no matter how hard I try, I can't make it up to the $250 limit. There are significant discounts! PM me for the price list or contact minimus.biz.

My list so far includes:
315 olive oil packets (for everything except oatmeal)
200 parmesean cheese packets (for everything)
400 cholula hot sauce packets (for everything)
200 sue bee clove honey packets (for oatmeal)
100 Redmond Earthpaste toothpaste packets

JAK
03-07-2013, 20:33
Consider dry spices and herbs instead, and oil, honey.

hikingirl
03-07-2013, 20:57
I'm putting spices in emtpy tic tac containers, weigh nothing

Different Socks
03-07-2013, 21:58
Olive oil in plastic bottle it's sold in, soy sauce/taco sauce in packets, salt/pepper in film cannisters.

MuddyWaters
03-07-2013, 22:10
Take clear plastic drinking straws
put salt/pepper/spices into them, iron little sections of the straws closed
cut off when you need