PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent for central VA summers

Mobius
02-04-2013, 10:17
Hello all. I've enjoyed reading and lurking for a while and have built up a few questions.

As background/introduction I'm introducing my 7yr old daughter to the great outdoors. I'm tickled (and proud) at her enthusiasm with our local overnight trips. We recently tested out our new 15 deg bags in the recent cold/snow in the backyard and had a blast. I'd like to up the ante a bit and get her out to the mountains for some base-camp style camping with day hikes, then progress to short backpacking trips.

My question is about tent selection. We've been using my ancient (about 20 yrs old) Eureka Timberline 4-man. It's a venerable old tank but I have no desire to lug it further than the trunk of my car.

We will most likely be in central VA, say between Roanoke and Luray, probably starting our adventures on/near trails I've run (Apple Orchard, Cornelius Creek, Spy Rock, The Priest, Crabtree Falls, Mt. Pleasant, Cole Mountain, etc). Like most families, the summer is our most likely "get out there" time.

I've been focused mostly on Henry Shires tarp tents. The designs appeal to me. I've been bouncing back and forth between the Rainshadow2 and the Stratospire2. My concerns are:

1) Foot print size on available camp sites in the area. Are they too big? Am I going to have issues getting a good pitch? The Rainshadow strikes me as an easier-to-pitch solution but the Stratospire looks like it requires a smaller "flat spot" for the inner net. The vestibule area can be as rocky/rooty as it likes.

2) Ventilation/Condensation. As a resident I'm quite familiar with our lovely 90+ deg, 90+humidity summers. The Stratospire seems like it has more ventilation options at the cost of complexity. The Rainshadow seems like it would require a more specific pitch (not always available) to get decent ventilation and reduce condensation.

3) Wind/Storms. We've already had a surprise t-storm on one local trip which was "less fun" due to a bone headed site selection on my part. My ignorance aside, are there any pros/cons to either tent in that respect? With the Eureka we keep our gear inside the tent. It looks like the Rainshadow could accommodate that with ease. The Stratospire could not but has ample vestibule space for packs/gear that looks like it would stay as dry as we would. Is either tent more wind/storm resistant? To my eye the Stratospire looks like it can be pitched closer to the ground and has more "omni-directional" wind resistance.

This would be a lot easier if there weren't so many great looking tent designs available. Back when I was in the boy scouts the choices were heavy pup tent or heavy dome tent!

In the future I may be asking for company on a shakedown hike or two in the central VA area. I'd like to brush up on skills and etiquette before I take my daughter out too far.

bfayer
02-04-2013, 11:12
I have a Rain Shadow 2 that I use in VA quite often.

Condensation is rarely an issue unless you set up on grass. The tent is huge and ventilation is great.

If you think it will rain, clip up the corners. If its dry unclip them for a little more floor space. Keeping gear inside with two people is not a problem.

Site selection is important (as it is with all tents), but size is not normally an issue unless you are forced to use a tent platform. Most platforms are too small.

We have been out in some pretty good storms and have stayed dry. Over all great tent. Only real drawback is the front entry.

If you are anywhere near NOVA PM me and maybe we can get together so you can put hands on a Rain Shadow 2 before you buy.

jeffmeh
02-04-2013, 12:19
Not to complicate matters, but do you really need all of the space in the Rainshadow 2? The Squall 2 is similar, but for 2 rather than 3, so smaller and lighter.

Mobius
02-04-2013, 14:10
Thanks for the feedback bfayer. I'm down near Williamsburg and no trips to NoVA anytime soon for work or family (that I know of!) but I really appreciate the offer to see the tent in person.

Mobius
02-04-2013, 14:20
Not to complicate matters, but do you really need all of the space in the Rainshadow 2? The Squall 2 is similar, but for 2 rather than 3, so smaller and lighter.

I've definitely considered it. My concern is keeping gear inside as well and having a little extra space for the more active sleeping style of my daughter. I had that concern in the Stratospire as well but with the inner mesh containing movement away from the outer walls I think it'd work out better.

And then there are other less tangible reasons like losing the possible justification for an additional smaller 1 person tent (say, a Contrail, Notch, or homemade something or other) later on for "just me" hikes. Clearly the Rainshadow is too big. The Squall is right on the fence! I could talk myself into taking as an over-sized solo tent.

Plus there is the fun of over-thinking everything. :)

bfayer
02-04-2013, 14:27
Thanks for the feedback bfayer. I'm down near Williamsburg and no trips to NoVA anytime soon for work or family (that I know of!) but I really appreciate the offer to see the tent in person.

Timing is everything, I was in Yorktown a couple of weekends ago :)

Well the offer stands, if things change let me know.

bigcranky
02-04-2013, 14:34
We had a Rainshadow, the original one. Very nice tent, easily held the three of us when my daughter was ~13 or so. Quick setup, and it didn't take a particularly large space for a 3-person tent. Considering the vast expanse of unsupported silnylon, it actually held up to storms pretty well, though I would definitely recommend trekking poles for the main support rather than the weaker/lighter poles they sell for it. The major downside was the single entrance at the head, and the limited interior volume -- it's tallest right around the poles, and slopes off pretty quickly.

When our daughter started using her own shelter, we got a Double Rainbow, which is a nice shelter but not enough interior room. Then we got a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo, which is our current tent. Love it. Amazing interior volume for two hikers and all their gear, two doors, plenty of ventilation, good vestibules, etc. It does take some practice to pitch well, and it does get condensation - sometimes a lot of it.

I would buy the Lunar Duo again for two people. That Stratospire also looks nice, but I haven't seen one in person.

Happy trails!

Oh, and if you want an amazing wonderful place to take your daughter for basecamping this summer, go to Grayson Highlands State Park. Park in the Massey Gap parking area and climb up the AT up Wilburn Ridge. Find a camping spot, and you'll be able to do all kinds of great wandering dayhikes from there. Oh, and did I mention the wild ponies? And the open balds with the amazing views?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=46593&catid=member&imageuser=266

If you want to go there, PM me and I can send some specific suggestions.

jeffmeh
02-04-2013, 14:51
I've definitely considered it. My concern is keeping gear inside as well and having a little extra space for the more active sleeping style of my daughter. I had that concern in the Stratospire as well but with the inner mesh containing movement away from the outer walls I think it'd work out better.

And then there are other less tangible reasons like losing the possible justification for an additional smaller 1 person tent (say, a Contrail, Notch, or homemade something or other) later on for "just me" hikes. Clearly the Rainshadow is too big. The Squall is right on the fence! I could talk myself into taking as an over-sized solo tent.

Plus there is the fun of over-thinking everything. :)

Understood. I think the Squall 2 can work great as a solo shelter, so by all means don't lose the justification to get another. :)

bfayer
02-04-2013, 15:13
Understood. I think the Squall 2 can work great as a solo shelter, so by all means don't lose the justification to get another. :)

Agreed, never put yourself is a situation where you don't have a good reason to buy new gear.

BradMT
02-05-2013, 10:21
Here in dry Montana I found the Rainshadow to be an excessive condensation collector. Great little tent, just not for me. Perhaps there are other TT models less prone to condensation collection?

tacodog
03-31-2013, 11:55
I have been looking at the SS2 for a while now also. Had same questions. But that is going to be the one for me. I need it for 3 + maybe a dog. If it is just my son & I it is still light enough to use with or without the net.
If you have gotten it already pm me I would like to take a look at it. I am off Wormley Creek by Dominion Power.

Franco
04-01-2013, 17:26
Brad :

"Here in dry Montana I found the Rainshadow to be an excessive condensation collector"

So you had a Rainbow and a Rainshadow ?