PDA

View Full Version : Northbound Section Hike this spring

Coffee
02-04-2013, 11:16
I'm planning a thru-hike of the John Muir Trail this summer and need to plan at least a couple of longer distance hikes to train and get used to longer distance backpacking. Since I live in Northern Virginia, SNP seems like a great way to do this in a location not too far from civilization (Skyline Drive). I have the PATC guide to the AT in SNP and am considering a northbound section hike but I'm unsure about timing. Ideally I would want to go in the Spring before the weather gets too hot. Since there won't be any shelters or huts on the JMT, I want to use my tent as much as possible rather than the shelters along the AT. However most of what I read seems to focus on staying at the shelters or camping nearby.

The following trip plan published by SNP seems appealing in terms of distance per day and camp locations:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-AT_through_SNP_average_17_miles_per_day_E104.pdf

Does anyone have suggestions on altering this trip plan in any way or the timing of the trip? Also, is Northbound or Southbound better? The logistics are somewhat easier for me Northbound since I would probably rent a car at Enterprise in Front Royal and drive it back home. To get to Rockfish Gap seems like an easy train ride down to Charlottesville and a possible hitch/shuttle up to the trailhead.

Thanks.

Coffee
02-04-2013, 11:18
I should have mentioned that my other option for a longer hike is to rent a car from Enterprise near where I live and drop it in Front Royal, then hike Northbound on the AT to Harpers Ferry and then take the C&O towpath back to Washington. This has some appeal but I think the SNP section hike may be more scenic overall and the frequent waysides/camp stores may be useful for someone new to longer distance backpacking.

johnnybgood
02-04-2013, 23:06
Logistically speaking,going Nobo makes more sense for the reasons you mentioned. Difficulty of Nobo vs Sobo in SNP is clearly a wash. Shelters are situated about a day's walk apart for the average hiker (12miles),and most have a reliable water source nearby. Tents sites are numberous at most and there are always places to pitch a tent within a short walk of any shelter in SNP.

The earlier your springtime hike the less likely chances of seeing lots of week day hikers out there. Thru hiker bubble starts late May lasting till mid June but if you enjoy eating at the waysides, Big Meadows may be the only one open in April..

moldy
02-10-2013, 10:32
If you are wanting to get ready for the JMT then you should be pushing it a bit further than an the 16/17/18's. I would take a train to Charlottsville VA from DC then hitch up to Rockfish Gap then hike North without an agenda and tent where you like. You should be able to walk all the way home along the AT and Patomic in 8 or 9 days. That would get you ready for the JMT.

Not Sunshine
02-10-2013, 10:44
You got a JMT Permit????! Congratulations man. I'd been planning a JMT trip for 6 months and I "lost" in the lottery for a permit. It sucks.

Coffee
02-10-2013, 10:50
No permit yet. The first day to apply for the "lottery" for my entry date is in early March.

I like the idea of hiking the AT from Rockfish Gap up to Harpers Ferry and then taking the C&O towpath all the way back to DC. Actually the distance is about 210 miles, almost equal to the distance of the JMT but I'm sure a heck of a lot easier.

Cookerhiker
02-10-2013, 11:22
The C&O towpath is ultraflat. Walking it won't help with your hiking conditioning physically and may give you foot problems. It's really more conducive to cycling than backpacking.

Also, there's no camping in the last 25 miles to Georgetown.

For your JMT practice hike, I'd suggest Pearisburg to Waynesboro, a distance of 227 miles. You'll have a lot of up and down but there's also a fair amount of ridgewalking.

Coffee
02-10-2013, 13:46
Thanks, I'll look into that section. I am a bit nervous about the altitude on the JMT so I want to push myself here in the east more than I would at elevation. I actually have a very leisurely JMT trip planned - 18 days of hiking with two zeros.

KnotHere
02-11-2013, 13:58
It's a nice hike in either direction. I went last year in the end of March and had rain and cold temps (freezing) at night, but the days were perfect. I am planning on the lower half and then some SOBO this early March. Don't rely too heavily on springs or way stations. Little snow or rain has left the ground dry and the way stations are closed with nearly no access to water. Skyland opens first ,consult SNP website for the date.

You will not have any issues tenting at all so early in the year. Byrds nest #2,3 are great to sleep in with the indoor fireplace!!

Coffee
04-23-2013, 11:04
Here's my tentative itinerary for my northbound section hike in early May:

Day 1: Rockfish Gap to Calf Mountain Shelter (tent sites). 7.3 miles
Day 2: Calf Mountain Shelter to junction of Jones Run and Doyle River (side trip off AT). 17.6 miles
Day 3: Jones Run/Doyle River junction to Hightop Hut (tent sites). 18.5 miles
Day 4: Hightop Hut to Big Meadows (camp at NPS campground). 20.9 miles
Day 5: Big Meadows to Byrds Nest #3 (tent sites). 14 miles
Day 6: Byrds Nest #3 to Gravel Springs Hut (tent sites). 17.7 miles
Day 7: Gravel Springs Hut to Front Royal via AT and Dickey Ridge Trails. 17.2 miles

Total: 113.2 miles, average 16.2 mpd.

I'm actually hoping to avoid staying at or near the huts but it is difficult to tell where good campsites will be available based on my topo map. If anyone has good ideas for camping away from a specific hut within a mile or two in each direction, input would be appreciated.

I guess this isn't a true "thru" of the AT through SNP because of the Jones Run/Doyle River and Dickey Ridge detours but I'm not too concerned about that.