PDA

View Full Version : Grandma Gatewood Quote

Moose2001
12-29-2002, 20:22
I'd like to use a quote by Grandma Gatewood that goes something like it takes more heel than head to complete the AT. However, I can't find the exact quote anywhere and I wan't to make sure I had it correct. Anyone know what the exact quote is or can tell me where I can find it?

Lugnut
12-30-2002, 13:18
Moose, the quote you are looking for is: "Head is more important than heel". It can be found in Larry Luxenberg's book titled "Walking the Appalachian Trail". Hope this is what you were looking for.

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 08:30

Razor
03-27-2012, 18:19
If you attach attitude to this --I would agree. The trail will condition you as you go.With a positive attitude and an open mind to learn most everyone can hike!

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 18:32
If you attach attitude to this --I would agree. The trail will condition you as you go.With a positive attitude and an open mind to learn most everyone can hike!You mean like;Grandma was a Rollin stone,yeah the Heel and Head was her home......and when she Hiked,what she left us,was this poem.~Grannie Gatewood fan:cool:

Six-Six
03-27-2012, 19:11
You mean like;Grandma was a Rollin stone,yeah the Heel and Head was her home......and when she Hiked,what she left us,was this poem.~Grannie Gatewood fan:cool:

I do wish there was a 'like' button below each post. I would click it for this. :)

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 19:18
I do wish there was a 'like' button below each post. I would click it for this. :)

I think you just did thanks:)

4shot
03-27-2012, 19:36
that woman was fortunate enough to hike the trail before the internet. She didn't have to listen to people tell her she couldn't because her gear wasn't "correct".

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 19:48
that woman was fortunate enough to hike the trail before the internet. She didn't have to listen to people tell her she couldn't because her gear wasn't "correct".Bring some shower curtain rings in remembrance,there lighter than mini biners.

Pony
03-27-2012, 20:25
that woman was fortunate enough to hike the trail before the internet. She didn't have to listen to people tell her she couldn't because her gear wasn't "correct".

She also said something to the effect that she relied heavily on the generosity of others. On WB that would mean she was a broke moocher that partied he way up the trail.

veteran
03-27-2012, 21:47
I always liked this Quote: "I thought it would be a lark,"...adding "It wasn't."

http://www.coldsplinters.com/audio/Grandma-Gatewood-.jpg

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 22:12
Great picture,she's got that strong stock look like my Grannie had,but then any one living through a depression has that look,some might even get a chance to get that look,but I hope not!

Miami Joe
03-31-2012, 16:49
I'm putting the over/under on her pack weight at 18.5 pounds.