PDA

View Full Version : Orikaso

dje97001
06-09-2005, 08:26
www.orikaso.com

Hey... anyone ever used this stuff before? Supposedly, to get a full set of them (2 dish/plates, 2 bowls, 2 cups) at 26 bucks and only 8 oz.! Granted the lid for those plastic koolaid mixes is less than an oz but still... anyone have these?

grrickar
06-09-2005, 10:09
I hiked with a guy who had a set on my last section hike. He used them the whole trip. They held up well, and it is a neat idea. They were easy to clean too since you could unsnap them, lay them flat and wipe. Eventually they will give out at the seams I think due to repeated stress of folding and unfolding.

Alligator
06-09-2005, 10:27
Those are pretty cool. Would be useful for a partner or small group to cut down on pots. They have them at REI and they are cheap. The plate looks like the best option, as it holds more than the bowl.

The FAQ at the website says that folding strengthens the crease.

Q. Are the products durable?

A. The products are manufactured from Polypropylene, a polymer with special properties. Polypropylene is practically the only plastic that can be folded without breakage, in fact the more you fold it the more durable it becomes along the hinge. Products are practically unbreakable (by practically I mean if you were to stick them in a food blender, or on a fire they will cease to work, but in daily normal use you shouldn't experience any problems).

Bolo
06-09-2005, 14:49
A friend of mine bought the cup from REI and had it on a campout this past weekend. Pretty cool, except he said it did leak a bit outa the top of the side that snaps. Flattens like a pancake and easy to clean.

gardenville
06-09-2005, 15:53
A friend of mine bought the cup from REI and had it on a campout this past weekend. Pretty cool, except he said it did leak a bit outa the top of the side that snaps. Flattens like a pancake and easy to clean.

I have had a bunch of this product since around the end of March. I have used the cup once or twice a day since I got it. I also use the bowl a lot but not everyday. I have not used the dish very much.

The cup has a "FILL" line and if you don't over-fill the cup it will not leak.

I have been very happy with this product.

Bolo
06-09-2005, 16:09
Thanks, G'Ville,
I examined the cup pretty closely and didn't see a fill line. In fact I didn't see an Orikaso marking on it either although he stated he did buy it from the REI store. The cup is quite large...guess he overfilled. Sometimes I do like to biner my cup to a beltloop. Can't with this as the cuphandle is only a half-arc. G'Ville, with your sewing talents, you could probably come up with a better design. (SMILE)
Bolo

flyfisher
06-09-2005, 17:19
www.orikaso.com (http://www.orikaso.com)

Hey... anyone ever used this stuff before? Supposedly, to get a full set of them (2 dish/plates, 2 bowls, 2 cups) at 26 bucks and only 8 oz.! Granted the lid for those plastic koolaid mixes is less than an oz but still... anyone have these?
I used a set of them car camping this last week. I really liked the plate things that also fold into a bowl with wings. As a plate, only three sides fold up and the fourth side can be used to sort of shove food into my mouth.

They scratch up some when cutting a steak on them, but they do clean well.

They are light and fold very flat. The set I have has two of the plates that snap to each other and the two cups and a bowl slide between them for storage.

gardenville
06-09-2005, 17:42
Thanks, G'Ville,
I examined the cup pretty closely and didn't see a fill line. In fact I didn't see an Orikaso marking on it either although he stated he did buy it from the REI store. The cup is quite large...guess he overfilled. Sometimes I do like to biner my cup to a beltloop. Can't with this as the cuphandle is only a half-arc. G'Ville, with your sewing talents, you could probably come up with a better design. (SMILE)
Bolo

There should be a small line and the word MAX above the line. To read the word right the cup is folded with the word on the inside. My stuff also has the word FlatFold sort of pressed into the plastic material. The cup is designed to only hold 8oz. I think.

Why not punch a couple of holes in the handle for your "biner"? Someone had a cup folding race and the winner did it in 3 seconds.

I just sent a set of this stuff to a friend in Korea and I am waiting to see what he thinks of it.