PDA

View Full Version : Jacket in summer ???

realdeal64
02-04-2013, 12:10
I am hiking Springer to Harper's Ferry late May,I am carrying a lightweight uninsulated rain jacket.Do I also need to have a Jacket for warmth for South summer hiking ???

moldy
02-04-2013, 12:22
Yes you do. Look at all the 5 and 6K elevations you will be going past. I would have a heavy jacket, you could mail it home from Damascus or Pearisburg. I have seen plenty of hikers, wet and cold in the Souther mountains in Summer. It makes a good pillow when not in use.

Slo-go'en
02-04-2013, 12:57
It can get chilly in the evening and early mornings. And like Moldy says, you need something soft with a little bulk to make a pillow out off.

I don't think you need a heavy jacket, but a warm shirt will do. By warm shirt I mean something which is about 1/4" thick and large enough to be worn over a normal shirt. I use either a wool/nylon blend shirt or one made of a fleece type matterial. Both weight about a pound, so it's a toss up, though I typically go for the wool shirt.

bigcranky
02-04-2013, 14:39
I usually bring either a Marmot Driclime Windshirt, or a long sleeve lightweight microfleece zip tee. It's nice to have on a chilly evening, and makes a great pillow. Alternately, a very light down vest will work. Really, very light, like the Montbell UL Down Inner vest.

saltysack
02-04-2013, 16:50
Montbell ul down parka is da bomb!!! Good from about 30+ degrees alone and weighs nothing!!

daddytwosticks
02-04-2013, 17:12
Something like a 100 wt microfleece sure feels good when temps drop after a thunderstorm goes through. As others said, makes a great pillow too. :)

jbwood5
02-04-2013, 18:11
I am hiking Springer to Harper's Ferry late May,I am carrying a lightweight uninsulated rain jacket.Do I also need to have a Jacket for warmth for South summer hiking ???

Have at least 2 lightweight tech shirts and a fleece that you can keep dry. I hit 18 consecutive days of rain one year in early to mid May, followed by a clearing cool front. I thought it was late enough in the year to go light but I had to buy a fleece in the SNP gift shop and it wasn't cheap. Layers work good if you can keep them dry and don't think that a rainjacket will keep you dry (it won't). Be sure to bring one anyhow. It can save your butt when the wind and rain blows crossing Big Butt Mtn. We are so spoiled here in Florida; it easy to forget what the SE in the mountains can really be like.

realdeal64
02-04-2013, 20:58
You are right,sometimes forget how the cold feels in South Florida !! Lol

JAK
02-04-2013, 22:32
As you already have the rain shell, if you add a medium weight fleece or wool sweater the combination of the shell and sweater may be as effective and more versatile than a down sweater and rain shell, which is not so good for hiking in cold rain. It's not really fair to compare weight/warmth of a down sweater to a wool or fleece sweater. You have to consider your entire clothing system and the combinations.