PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 65... Would you recommend?

Greyson2
02-04-2013, 14:49
I'm fairly new to the backpacking community, and am considering buying an Osprey Atmos 65 for my weekend backpacking trips in the Midwest. I have found one brand new for 149.99 with free shipping. My other choice is a ULA Circuit, which is about 50-75 dollars more. Which route should i take? Someone please point me in the right direction!

RedBeerd
02-04-2013, 16:02
I have experience with neither, but the ULA packs are very popular here. For good reason I assume.

RedBeerd
02-04-2013, 16:02
And I will be getting a ULA when I upgrade!

hikerboy57
02-04-2013, 16:07
I'm fairly new to the backpacking community, and am considering buying an Osprey Atmos 65 for my weekend backpacking trips in the Midwest. I have found one brand new for 149.99 with free shipping. My other choice is a ULA Circuit, which is about 50-75 dollars more. Which route should i take? Someone please point me in the right direction!
ive got the atmos for a few years now, great pack. met many thrus whove used it as well.the ULA is just as if not more popular. either one is great, but $149 for the atmos is a bargain

Greyson2
02-04-2013, 16:11
Awesome, thank you for the replies. I know the ULA are very popular right now, thats why its so tough to decide. To pay the extra money, or to not to... One of life's toughest questions.

CarlZ993
02-04-2013, 16:11
ULA Circuit is a smaller volume pack than the Osprey. I own the Circuit (new purchase; taking it on my thru-hike; still not sold on the roll top closure and no lid). If you have small volume gear, the Circuit will work. If not, you might consider a larger pack. I own a different Osprey pack - Exos 58. Nice pack. My wife's current pack is also an Osprey (don't recall the model off the top of my head). Also a nice pack. Ultimately, it's a decision on which one you think will work for you at the price break you'll willing to pay.

lemon b
02-04-2013, 16:56
I have a atmos 65. No complaints, I put a different clip on the part that closes up the top under the flap. It rides nice and thats what I like. Do not think you'll go wrong with either.

ken209
02-05-2013, 07:53
I have both, like the ULA better.

Yukon
02-05-2013, 08:57
I had the Atmos for a bit, now I use the Circuit. Hands down a better pack. You can't beat a ULA...

AuntieSarah
02-05-2013, 18:22
For me, its NOT about cost, it's about FIT. Does it fit? As a poor college grad, I once shelled out $400 on a pack (it was a Dana Design) because it was the only pack that felt comfortable at the time and I have lots of back pain/problems. I *love* it. If it's against your body constantly, like shoes, forget style, color, cost, (dare I say weight?)...Just get what makes your body happy. It's your modus operandi.

theinfamousj
02-06-2013, 14:16
I have the Osprey and love it. Fits my body like a glove and my hiking style like I'd wished it into existence. Osprey's customer service is top notch, too.

That said, fit is the most important thing and I cannot give you feedback on how it will fit you.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

tds1195
02-06-2013, 21:43
Almost bought it myself...it's a great pack!

slow mind
02-06-2013, 21:54
I use an Atmos 65 mostly for 1 to 2 week trips to Isle Royale and can't really think of a bad word to say about it. At 150.00 thats a great price. I'm pretty sure at that price it will be 2011 or 2012's model and those models are NOT adjustable for torso height. I wouldn't let that scare you off though, I gambled when I bought mine and it fit perfect, when the Atmos fits it is extremely comfortable.

Koozy
02-06-2013, 22:27
Got the Atmos 65, love it. I liked the fact that Osprey makes packs, and packs only. Tried it on at a local retailer who advised me not to buy it at the store and to look out for online specials. Exactly what I did.

Joker4ink
02-06-2013, 23:54
I don't have experience with ULA but I do have a couple Osprey packs. Actually I picked up the Atmos but returned it for the Exos 58. The Atmos has slightly thicker hip pads & shoulder straps which I thought would be more comfortable. However the Exos is equally as comfortable and a pound lighter. Osprey packs fit me well. The Exos is very comfortable, durable, the suspension rides really nice, and the mesh for your back, like the Atmos, is a nice addition. If you are thinking about the Atmos, be sure to check out the Exos and compare the two.

ferdinand the bull
02-07-2013, 22:52
I carried an Exos for the first few weeks of a hike and loved it, I did end up switching it out for a Vapor trail but Osprey does make good packs. That being said, ULA is on another level. They have incredible customer service and make bomber bags. I had a ULA Ohm custom built for me and I was beyond impressed with its construction. I'd say go ULA if you can afford it, it's well worth it.

ferdinand the bull
02-07-2013, 22:53
I don't have experience with ULA but I do have a couple Osprey packs. Actually I picked up the Atmos but returned it for the Exos 58. The Atmos has slightly thicker hip pads & shoulder straps which I thought would be more comfortable. However the Exos is equally as comfortable and a pound lighter. Osprey packs fit me well. The Exos is very comfortable, durable, the suspension rides really nice, and the mesh for your back, like the Atmos, is a nice addition. If you are thinking about the Atmos, be sure to check out the Exos and compare the two.

The Exos 58 is definitely a solid bag.

SoCalled
02-16-2013, 18:46
Hi

I have the atmos 50. Its an excellent backpack, a bullseye in terms of light, comfort and sturdy. Cant get any better than that to me. But you have to try it first, wearing it loaded, wearing the clothing you wear on trail. If it fits you, go for it. Its a cloud on my back. Plenty of ways to fit gears in and out of it. Bottom straps, daisychains, mesh, etc. Awesome pack.

But, my question, why 65 ? 50 is plenty, especially for TH. And you can always tie and compress extra pouchs outside if you really need extra space. Tent/mat/shell/../ can be strapped outside as well. If the bigger volume is for winter time, I suggest a thicker, cheaper (old? used?) bag for that use and this excellent swift and light atmos 50 for the remaining 9 months of the year.

Why atmos 50 ? My biggest reason : you can keep it on airplanes as carry-on luggage if you wrap it tight. Simply the best backpack ever. Mountains, trails, airplanes, trains, ...etc.

Hairbear
02-17-2013, 07:27
I own both packs .The difference is that the osprey had volume inside ,so everything is conceiled .2- the osprey has the ability to carry a water bladder outside of the storage are circuit is internal where a leak could ruin your night.Osprey is a compartmetalized pack ,you get none of that with the circuit. Osprey has a vent area for the back the circuit does not. Now the reality of it is that i almost sent the circuit back ,but decided to try it instead. The results were that once i saw that everything that fit into the osprey would fit into the circuit ,i was a little more convinced as to the merits of the circuit. I took out everything that i didnt use on the circuit lowering the weight even more. I have not used the atmos since,as the circuit is a very confy pack. Y ou will have to get used to having stuff on the outside of the main compartment inside a net pocket,that works well. S hort is both are fine packs ,but i prefer the circuit now. The price you quoted on the atmos is surprisingly low for what i paid. Good luck with your choice.

Hairbear
02-17-2013, 07:30
I use a pack as a big stuff sack ,not taking things apart and stuff sacking them ,everything still fits in both.

fireneck
02-18-2013, 21:46
Started with a Osprey 65 on Springer, finished with a Circuit on Katahdin.

Need I say more?!

:)