PDA

View Full Version : Experience with these bags?

Labojo
02-04-2013, 15:01
First off, as a new member here, I am amazed how helpful everyone is. You guys have taught me a lot in only a few questions. So here it is:
i have narrowed my sleeping bag choices down to these,
marmot arroyo 30
mountain hardware phantom 32
sierra designs ridge runner 30

i was wondering if any of you have any experience with these bags or if you have any info that will help influence my decision.
Thanks in advance!

barf_jay
02-04-2013, 15:13
I can not sleep in a mummy bag, and to cut down on weight I went with a quilt from Enlightened Equipment:

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/revelationx-30/

I know I did not touch on the ones you were asking about, but until someone pointed me towards the quilts, I would have never looked them over. I have used mine several times with no issues and is super warm. Just wanted to throw you some other ideas. Happy Hiking!

Deacon
02-04-2013, 15:13
Labojo,
What was your criteria for choosing these bags?

Labojo
02-04-2013, 15:22
I'm looking for a down bag, around 2 pounds, packs small, and a decent price. I also looked at the marmot plasma 30 but don't know if it would be worth it to save my money and buy it.

bigcranky
02-04-2013, 15:47
We had a Phantom 32, and it was too narrow cut for me. Fit my wife reasonably well. That one had a half-zipper, of which I am not a fan. Sold it a couple of years ago.

My 30F bag is a Western Mountaineering Megalite. Wider-cut, very comfortable, full zipper, good down to 30F and with the right clothing I've had it into the teens.

SCRUB HIKER
02-04-2013, 16:25
Also had a Mountain Hard Wear 32 and wasn't thrilled with it. I returned it to REI after buying a quilt. It was a little cramped, it was a left zip (you wouldn't think this makes a difference, but HOLY HELL is it annoying if you're like me and all you've ever used is right zips), but my really big problem with it was that the down wasn't evenly distributed around the bag and I couldn't change it. There was much less insulation on the back, so when I turned over to lie on my stomach ... I suddenly had the cold side of the bag exposed to the air.

SCRUB HIKER
02-04-2013, 16:25
That was supposed to say "Phantom 32" in the first line.

Black Viper
02-04-2013, 17:46
The ridge runner 30 is a great bag and hard to beat for the price, given that it can usually be found on sale at Campmor for close to $100. Although I bought it for my son, I have slept in it a couple of times, and in my opinion, the temp rating is accurate. I have recommended it others, and they also gave very positive reviews.

saltysack
02-04-2013, 17:58
Marmot helium 15 was on sale $279 st backcountry. I love mine

treetop flyer
02-05-2013, 18:45
My 30F bag is a Western Mountaineering Megalite. Wider-cut, very comfortable, full zipper, good down to 30F and with the right clothing I've had it into the teens.

Not sure if this will be considered a hijack of the thread, if so I am happy to split out the question I am also looking at the WM 30 deg bag as i expect to use it April-September while section hiking the southeastern AT. However I have read that there are times even then, that a 30 deg bag is not enough. Because of the investment in WM, I don't want to buy 2 bags and have wondered if taking a mid level base layer to sleep in would get me through those cooler nights in April and Sept. is that what you mean by "right clothing" Bigcranky?

Thanks

Duramax22
02-05-2013, 19:06
i have an arroyo. its a nice bag packs down pretty small and is only around 2lbs

bigcranky
02-05-2013, 19:15
Not sure if this will be considered a hijack of the thread, if so I am happy to split out the question I am also looking at the WM 30 deg bag as i expect to use it April-September while section hiking the southeastern AT.
Thanks

I switch out from my winter bag by the end of March, and don't need it again until mid-November around here (NC, VA.) So yeah, in my experience the Megalite is fine for that time frame.

I have used it in early March in lows down to about 17F with down booties, my down jacket, Powerstretch tights, and a warm hat. Also, a good 4-season sleeping pad. I was warm enough, but not toasty (but I sleep warm in general.)

Yes, I have seen much colder weather in early or mid-April (single digit lows.) If the Megalite were my only bag I would rethink the hike for that weekend.

treetop flyer
02-05-2013, 19:20
Thanks so much... that is exactly what I needed to know. Since I am section hiking, I can always postpone if it is going to be really cold. Thanks again.

Don W
treetop flyer

bigcranky
02-05-2013, 19:49
Sure thing. The Megalite has been dead on in temp rating for me wearing light long underwear, wool socks, and a light fleece beanie right down to 30F, under a tarp or in an open Tarptent. (Shoulda added that above.) Happy trails.

mediauras
02-05-2013, 20:22
All 3 of those manufacturers make good bags, but I personally have come to really like Marmot bags. Their higher-end stuff is close to WM quality in my opinion. That includes the Arroyo, which is a great bargain right now (seems to be on sale all over the place). Its under 2 lbs, roomy (so not sacrificing comfort for weight savings), and true to its rating (in my experience). I think you'd be happy with it.

mark jer
02-06-2013, 10:07
A Quilt from jnb

Rock Lobster
02-16-2013, 16:21
If you're looking at the Phantom, consider the Mountain Speed instead - their next step up with 850-fill down and saving 7.5oz (stated). As one or two people mentioned about the Phantom, it's narrower cut than most mummies, and you sacrifice the full zip for a half-zip in the Speed, but it weighs in at under a pound (15.5oz). I bought mine on sale and when it came in the mail yesterday I took a nap on my back porch. It was almost exactly 30 degrees out and I was plenty warm with just boxers and socks (and a pad under me). Then I slept in it last night on my bed, and although I'm normally a little claustrophobic the narrowness was a little noticeable but didn't bother me.

My only complaint so far is that the stuff sack is comically tiny (3L) and after 10 minutes I gave up on shoving the thing in there and started searching for an ultralight compression sack online.

Normally $400, the Speed is on sale for $240: http://www.campsaver.com/mtn-speed-32-sleeping-bag
If you're set on the Phantom, they have that one for $180 too: http://www.campsaver.com/phantom-32-sleeping-bag-800-down
Cheapest prices I've found while searching over the past week (2/10-2/13)

q-tip
02-17-2013, 15:29
I found my 30 D WM Tamarak did not cut it in under 45 D. Got an Alpinlite-problem solved, lots of bucks though....

MuddyWaters
02-17-2013, 22:33
Ive had my megalite down to 22 .
Its really EN rated at 28 F I believe.

Sleeping in some warm clothing, you can generally extend a bag 10F without much issue.
I have taken my 40F quilt, down to 28F recently in just longjohns. Yeah, I was coldish. But I was able to sleep, didnt freeze or anything.
I think I could pretty easily take my megalite down to mid teens with 1) puffy jacket 2) down booties 3) light gloves 4) fleece hat 5) mid wt longjohns

Labojo
02-20-2013, 11:05
I went with the marmot arroyo. Should I also buy a liner for this bag? I've read that it is a good idea to use a liner but what would happen if I didn't?