PDA

View Full Version : Therm-a-rest quilts

xftnfnb7
02-04-2013, 16:01
I'm considering either a Ventura down comforter or the alpine 35 quilt. Does anybody have experience with either of these products. Thanks in advance.

jeffmeh
02-04-2013, 17:55
I don't have experience with either, but you can get a superior product for your money at http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product-category/revx/.

barf_jay
02-04-2013, 17:57
+1 on Enlightened Equipment, I have the revelation x and love it!

Wesro
02-04-2013, 18:31
I have seen the Cascade Designs quilts and they look well made. Just saw the new ones for Fall '13 out in SLC for the Outdoor Retailer. Hopefully the newer ones are easier to get in and out of than in years past. I own a GoLite 20 degree quilt down, however upgraded to a custom MLD version.

xftnfnb7
02-07-2013, 06:35
+1 on Enlightened Equipment, I have the revelation x and love it!

I looked at this also. Does the foot box open completely? And how small does it really pack down?

leaftye
02-07-2013, 06:49
I looked at this also. Does the foot box open completely? And how small does it really pack down?

The footbox opens completely.

The 20°F version should pack down small enough that you could easily carry it in a hydration pack. I rarely see the actual volume of quilts mentioned, probably because other have found what I've found, and that is that their packed size is virtually inconsequential when stored loosely at the bottom of my packs. The volume should reduced even further by opting for the Revelation with 10D fabric. These things pack so small that your clothing will take up more space, probably a LOT more space.

xftnfnb7
02-07-2013, 09:35
Last question, are there any retailers for enlightened equipment. I'd like to see one before I buy?

soulrebel
02-07-2013, 09:41
I have a Ventra quilt. It's great for car-camping and lounging around the house. If you have the sheet that it snaps to, you'll probably find it's not necessary and slightly constricting. It's also kinda bulky when packed down. The fabric on the inside actually feels like a cotton sheet which is nice.

soulrebel
02-07-2013, 09:54
If i had a recommendation in that style it'd be the WM mitylite 40 or the wm alder 20 the footbox has a separate zipper if you want to completely fold it out. Lighter weight, warmer, more compressible, made in the usa. Pricey, but a sleeping bag isn't something that needs replacement that often unless you're a slob. The other full zips bags like the megalite will make a great quilt as well...

leaftye
02-07-2013, 11:22
Last question, are there any retailers for enlightened equipment. I'd like to see one before I buy?

Not that I know of. Send Tim and say what you just said.

Bucho
02-08-2013, 11:04
If you're talking about the thermarest ventra over 2lbs for a 40 degree quilt is kind of terrible. If you want to go with thermarest the Haven is 1lbs 6oz and comfortable at 30 degrees and it's in the same price range.