PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: hosting hikers

yellobelle
02-04-2013, 17:07
We live a couple miles from the Appalachian Trail in northern VA and are hopefully moving in about a month to a house 2000 ft from the trail. I started reading about the trail last year after giving some thru-hikers a hitch. I am far from an experienced hiker, but my kids are homeschooled, so we frequently dayhike. I was thinking that it would be really fun to get a penpal (or a few, considering the completion rate) for the kids and then meet them or host them when they passed thru our area. I have been doing a bunch of reading, and now I think that following a few trail journals and interacting with hikers that way would be easier for the hiker. I also read concerns that there was getting to be "too much" trail magic at this point, and our stretch of the trail might be one that people blow through pretty quick and it has decent shelters anyway. I like spontaneity & small gestures, I love having guests in my home, I understand to never leave trail magic unattended, and I am looking into local maintenance crews. :-)

But I still really like the idea of my girls personally meeting some thru- or section-hikers, especially women hikers and people hiking with their kids, just to expand their horizons and show them all the possibilities in life (we are in suburban soccer mom central here). We see backpackers sometimes on the trail, but they are always full-speed-ahead, so maybe some trail magic would induce them to chat a little?

I was wondering how would you recommend contacting hikers to host, so that we feel safe and they feel safe? Would that be sketchy to you if someone msgd you thru your trail journal to meet up or host you while you were passing thru? I don't necessarily want dozens of random hikers on my doorstep, but I would be interested in hosting a few hikers thru the season and if I met someone and they wanted to send another cool hiker my way, that would be fun. Note: we eat gluten-free and dairy-free and could manage vegan pretty easily with some warning, so maybe those would be some hikers that could use some special trail magic? what time of year do hikers generally hit northern VA?

Thanks for your advice... <ducking in case this is a completely idiotic idea>

gizzy bear
02-04-2013, 17:35
i think it sounds like a very cool idea and will be interested in reading some of the responses because i have often found it very weird that people will hook up with COMPLETE strangers and go out in the middle of NOWHERE with them for days on end....just sounds like a VERY VERY risky to me...your situation is a little different as you will be in your home environment and i hope you would "interview" the people that would possibly come into your home.....

BuckeyeBill
02-04-2013, 18:31
Check this site http://www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/) Here you will find vounteer opportunities under the "Get Involved" tab. Also there are tips for providing trail magic in The A.T. Guide by David Miller http://theatguide.com (http://theatguide.com/) . As far as providing trail magic, if you set up at a place where the trail and a road crossing is located, you will meet several hikers throughout the day. By following the jouranals of both north and south bound hikers, you should be able to know when to set up camp so to speak to provide them some trail magic. Sodas and snickers are great trail magic as are burgers and hot dogs. Nothing fancy but to a hiker it will be a real treat. If you plan to provide services in your house, leave messages at both the above sites to get listed in the guides they publish each year. It is too late for this year, but you have until about October to decide if you want listed next year. You may even want to purchase a copy of both guides to see how others provide trail magic or offer shuttle servicce to hikers. Good luck in your adventure.

BuckeyeBill
02-04-2013, 18:35
Don't [urchase the Data Book from the ATC as it is just a mileage guide and has no descriptions listed. You will want The AT Guide and the Thru-Hikers Companion.

HikerMom58
02-04-2013, 20:36
We live a couple miles from the Appalachian Trail in northern VA and are hopefully moving in about a month to a house 2000 ft from the trail. I started reading about the trail last year after giving some thru-hikers a hitch. I am far from an experienced hiker, but my kids are homeschooled, so we frequently dayhike. I was thinking that it would be really fun to get a penpal (or a few, considering the completion rate) for the kids and then meet them or host them when they passed thru our area. I have been doing a bunch of reading, and now I think that following a few trail journals and interacting with hikers that way would be easier for the hiker. I also read concerns that there was getting to be "too much" trail magic at this point, and our stretch of the trail might be one that people blow through pretty quick and it has decent shelters anyway. I like spontaneity & small gestures, I love having guests in my home, I understand to never leave trail magic unattended, and I am looking into local maintenance crews. :-)

But I still really like the idea of my girls personally meeting some thru- or section-hikers, especially women hikers and people hiking with their kids, just to expand their horizons and show them all the possibilities in life (we are in suburban soccer mom central here). We see backpackers sometimes on the trail, but they are always full-speed-ahead, so maybe some trail magic would induce them to chat a little?

I was wondering how would you recommend contacting hikers to host, so that we feel safe and they feel safe? Would that be sketchy to you if someone msgd you thru your trail journal to meet up or host you while you were passing thru? I don't necessarily want dozens of random hikers on my doorstep, but I would be interested in hosting a few hikers thru the season and if I met someone and they wanted to send another cool hiker my way, that would be fun. Note: we eat gluten-free and dairy-free and could manage vegan pretty easily with some warning, so maybe those would be some hikers that could use some special trail magic? what time of year do hikers generally hit northern VA?

Thanks for your advice... <ducking in case this is a completely idiotic idea>

First of all your idea isn't idiotic. It's a great idea. You came to the right place to get advice as well. I don't see anything wrong with picking a person or two from trail journals that you would like to follow and potentially contact. They put it out there for everyone to read and are flattered when they realize how many people are actually interested in their journey.

I've done that,before. We are the best of friends 2 years later. I read their journal, wrote on their guest book and offered to meet them when they passed through my area. Ended up staying with us a week..... made it all the way to Maine. Purposely came back by our house on the way back to Texas. Even brought me a birthday present for my birthday. Amazing friendship!!

If you explain your situation and intentions to the hiker they can tell you if they are interested in meeting you and your girls or not. There's no harm done if it doesn't work out for whatever reason. I'm sure by interacting with them in this manner you will find someone that would be very interested in such a meeting.

That's very nice that you are right on the trail. No one is inconvenienced at all in trying to meet up with anyone in particular.

Another way to meet hikers is to set up some kind of trail magic, at your convenience. The "bubbles" of thru-hiker come in waves it seems like. There will be a constant stream of hikers coming through NOVA starting anytime in May or before. The "bubble" seems to hit Central VA in early June and continues in waves through out the month of June.

Of course when you are offering trail magic it can lead into a conversation where you might feel comfortable offering more. If that happens it' a win- win for the hiker & your family. You will find that some hikers just want to keep moving and are not interested in talking at all. So, that's fine. My way of handling the situation is just be relaxed about it all. Whatever happens... happens.

If you're on a mission to "snag" a hiker it prob. won't work out. I wouldn't advertize at all as a place for hikers to stay unless you are very comfortable with random hikers wanting to stay in your home.

Word of mouth is the best way to invite hikers to stay at your home. That has worked really well for me. Also, hikers on WB may contact you when they read your thread. I'm never met any hikers on WB that haven't been anything but NICE. (I don't meet any hikers alone btw..) I live 5 miles from the trail crossing. The pleasure has been all mine with the ones I have met on here. What I've found is that the ones that wouldn't be a good fit, for you, will avoid you like the plague, anyway, so it's all good. :)

Good luck with this hiking season... keep us updated. It's coming up FAST! Looking forward to hearing awesome stories of meaningful interactions with AT hikers. :)

canoe
02-04-2013, 20:47
I would as some have stated already, go to trail journal, read some journals, get familiar with some of the hikers and pic one or two. Being northern VA you are close to the halfway. I would think many hikers would welcome the chance for a get together at the point in their journey. You can be picky I would think. The ones chosen would be grateful for sure.

Pressure D
02-04-2013, 21:23
Hi Yellobelle, I will be thru hiking this year, my start date is April 8th and I would love to meet You and your family. I retired from teaching(although I am still coaching) after 33 years. This past fall I hiked the Long Trail and while hitching into town I meet a very nice person who invited me to his house for a shower and meal. I got to meet his wife and kids. It was a very memorable day for everyone. These are the experiences that make a hike special. I plan to have a journal on Postholer.com

yellobelle
02-05-2013, 11:15
Thanks! I hadn't seen postholer.com yet. I'll follow your journal, Pressure D! I bookmarked a few journals already on trailjournals, but if you guys hear about anybody interesting out on the trail, or somebody who gets hurt or is in a pinch, gimme a heads up! I have noticed a couple parents hiking with kids, on trailjournals and on here. I think those would be really fun to at least meet up with on the trail. I would love to find a few hikers "like us," as in, gluten-free or women or kids, and a few others that are nothing like us to see what we learn.

I think some trail maintenance volunteering is in order. I will have to ask if they allow kids to help with that on a local level, but I got the impression it is 18+...maybe they could volunteer to do something at Bears' Den or Blackburn? Although trail maintenance without kids sounds like a vacation to me, now that I think about it! I feel like getting all of us involved in trail maintenance would help us to know better how to treat our "backyard." They already know basic things like pack out their trash plus any trash they find. But there is plenty of other stuff that I have been reading about, like where to step and no fires. I grew up romping through the woods, and I want them to do the same, but I don't want them to damage the eco-system or get eaten by bears LOL. They need to LNT in the backyard! I will be back with lots of questions about camping and the trail, too...an overnight is the next step with them but that will require actual gear...maybe we can find a workshop on some of that stuff!

Now you guys just send up some prayers or good thoughts or whatever you personally do, that we get picked to get the house right on the trail! We'll still be close regardless, but you guys understand how amazing it would be to be so close!

HikerMom58
02-05-2013, 11:22
Thanks! I hadn't seen postholer.com yet. I'll follow your journal, Pressure D! I bookmarked a few journals already on trailjournals, but if you guys hear about anybody interesting out on the trail, or somebody who gets hurt or is in a pinch, gimme a heads up! I have noticed a couple parents hiking with kids, on trailjournals and on here. I think those would be really fun to at least meet up with on the trail. I would love to find a few hikers "like us," as in, gluten-free or women or kids, and a few others that are nothing like us to see what we learn.

I think some trail maintenance volunteering is in order. I will have to ask if they allow kids to help with that on a local level, but I got the impression it is 18+...maybe they could volunteer to do something at Bears' Den or Blackburn? Although trail maintenance without kids sounds like a vacation to me, now that I think about it! I feel like getting all of us involved in trail maintenance would help us to know better how to treat our "backyard." They already know basic things like pack out their trash plus any trash they find. But there is plenty of other stuff that I have been reading about, like where to step and no fires. I grew up romping through the woods, and I want them to do the same, but I don't want them to damage the eco-system or get eaten by bears LOL. They need to LNT in the backyard! I will be back with lots of questions about camping and the trail, too...an overnight is the next step with them but that will require actual gear...maybe we can find a workshop on some of that stuff!

Now you guys just send up some prayers or good thoughts or whatever you personally do, that we get picked to get the house right on the trail! We'll still be close regardless, but you guys understand how amazing it would be to be so close!

Will do.... keep us informed. :)

10-K
02-05-2013, 12:19
"Trail maintenance" doesn't have to be formal - you can adopt a mile of trail and hike it every week checking for litter...

wornoutboots
02-05-2013, 12:31
you can post a sign near the trail at your home & put a time on it, say trail magic 1-5 or whatever, set up covered tents in your yard with seating under them, pack a cooler & fire up the grill. See how it goes for a few weeks & adjust as your comfort level allows you. Make it a sign that you can drive into the ground rather than nailing it to a tree, retrieve it when you magic has ended. Great & Idea & Thanks for giving back!!

+1 on 10-K's post, make a nearby section "your family's section", hike it a few times a week & keep it clean. Thanks Again!

DeerPath
02-05-2013, 12:38
Hey Yellobelle,
I lived about 200 yards from the AT, 1/2 mile North of Dicks Dome, 12074 DeerPath Ln., Linden VA. Just wondering where you located? I retired and moved to Florida, but I miss home. I hope to hike the AT and make it Virginia this year and would love to meet you.

Lyle
02-05-2013, 12:41
Just want to point out, when choosing journals to follow, choose a bunch. Hikers often start out with big ideas to journal but loose interest. They just stop posting.

Cork
02-05-2013, 14:52
Hi Yellobelle!
I'm Cork (actually Christine), 32 and planning on a NOBO leaving sometime in April. I'm the oldest of 6 siblings, but we've all become spread out all over the country and I don't get to see them or my many neices/nephews very often - which is a bummer as we are all very family oriented. I'm gonna try to do this hike mostly gluten-free, but I know that will be tough as I'm going un-supported by maildrops. I love that you have such an interest in the Trail and that you want to teach your kids the many valuable lessons that can be learned out there! Good luck with the move and maybe we'll be able to meet up one day! I have a journal at www.christinesause.blogspot.com (http://www.christinesause.blogspot.com) if you'd like to follow it. Not too many entries yet - but I plan on many more while actually hiking. I also love wornoutboots ' s idea - have a few backyard bbqs for hikers passing by. They would be MOST welcome! Happy Trails!

yellobelle
02-05-2013, 22:15
Great ideas! We always pick up trash we see on the trail, even make a game of hunting for it! We are never hiking in a hurry anyway! the trail is very well-maintained where we usually are, but I bet the overlooks could use extra clean-up. The locals/dayhikers almost exclusively go to Bears Den, and my kids think that trail is lame compared to the other sections of the AT that are harder to access.

We are between Bears Den and Blackburn TC right now, looking to a little north of Blackburn. an off trail BBQ sounds fun, I will have some gluten free buns on hand for you, cork! It will be nice to see what you eat on your hike, food is one of my concerns about hiking longer distances, but that is true of any travel! Thank you for tips like not putting a sign on a tree...that is helpful for a newbie like me.

We will try to help out with info on some of the local hiker services and water sources when we can. I did notice some of the streams we were supposed to use as landmarks hiking the roller coaster last fall weren't actually there! Gotta get a better trail map too, Internet info about local hiking spots does not seem very accurate, which can be problematic with a 5 yr old! Fortunately, she usually hikes faster than their time estimates!

prain4u
02-06-2013, 00:33
The VAST majority of hikers are wonderful people and they are great and interesting people to meet and spend time with. So, I hope you find a good way to make something encounters happen.

However, just like all segments of society--the group called "hikers" also includes some "bad apples" and occasionally includes a few folks with significant "issues". Personally, I would not be "afraid" to welcome hikers into my life and into my families life--but (especially because there are children involved) I WOULD find some ways to put a wall or two a safeguards in place. I don't think that I would advertise my home and its location as a place for hikers to come. Be selective. Meet people on the trail or in town--size them up and then trust your gut and your instincts before you invite people into your home and permit them to have significant interactions with our kids at your home. Better safe than sorry. (Someone can also look good on a trail journal--but once you meet them in real life your "gut" might give you a different impression).

Am I cynical and jaded? Certainly! Am I an alarmist? You bet! Sadly, it comes from many years of dealing with addicts and criminals as a substance abuse counselor. (And 30 years of dealing with transients and panhandlers as a pastor). I love working with both groups and helping them--but one has to be careful. (And, it has caused me to be more "alarmist" than the average person).

It is great to be generous and helpful--and I would never want to discourage people from doing that. But, in my opinion, one probably needs to have a layer or two of "buffers" and safeguards in place--especially before having complete strangers over one's house where there are children present. Your Mileage may Vary.

yellobelle
02-06-2013, 11:32
The VAST majority of hikers are wonderful people and they are great and interesting people to meet and spend time with. So, I hope you find a good way to make something encounters happen.

However, just like all segments of society--the group called "hikers" also includes some "bad apples" and occasionally includes a few folks with significant "issues". Personally, I would not be "afraid" to welcome hikers into my life and into my families life--but (especially because there are children involved) I WOULD find some ways to put a wall or two a safeguards in place. I don't think that I would advertise my home and its location as a place for hikers to come. Be selective. Meet people on the trail or in town--size them up and then trust your gut and your instincts before you invite people into your home and permit them to have significant interactions with our kids at your home. Better safe than sorry. (Someone can also look good on a trail journal--but once you meet them in real life your "gut" might give you a different impression).

Am I cynical and jaded? Certainly! Am I an alarmist? You bet! Sadly, it comes from many years of dealing with addicts and criminals as a substance abuse counselor. (And 30 years of dealing with transients and panhandlers as a pastor). I love working with both groups and helping them--but one has to be careful. (And, it has caused me to be more "alarmist" than the average person).

It is great to be generous and helpful--and I would never want to discourage people from doing that. But, in my opinion, one probably needs to have a layer or two of "buffers" and safeguards in place--especially before having complete strangers over one's house where there are children present. Your Mileage may Vary.

thanks for your response. I definitely get your concerns and will take it to heart! I think hospitality is a wonderful thing to teach my kids, but I definitely want to take precautions. I don't plan to advertise in trail guides. We will likely have a guest room in a separate part of the house and even if my gut is giving me the go ahead, I would plan to have our kids sleep in our locked room if guests were over. Just cuz you never know, And I usually do the same with guests I know. You cannot be too careful, and they like to fall asleep in our room often enough anyway, that they just think we were too lazy to move them and it is nothing unusual. Any additional ideas to host while staying safe are welcome. If we do host some hikers, I read in one of the articles to ask specifically that they do not share my info to prevent random people appearing at my door. We are not ready for that level of availability, Esp with kids in the house. I do feel that you can usually get some sense of a person from a trail journal, but I also wonder if there is a level of narcissism in publicly journaling and you might make some more interesting or modest friends by randomly meeting hikers with some trail magic who do not journal. That may not be the case at all, maybe they are just keeping family and friends from worrying with the easiest method available.

Again, thank you guys for the feedback! So helpful!

rickb
02-06-2013, 13:09
Another thing to consider is what you can do to make the hiker feel safe. After all, you will be the one reading their journals, seeing their photos and selecting specific individuals to meet up with away from the Trail-- not the reverse.

Coffee Rules!
02-06-2013, 13:27
I think the best suggestion above was to read trail journals and pick out (with the contribution of your daughters' opinions) one, two, or however many hikers you feel would be a good fit and/or provide the interaction you're looking for, and then reach out to them through the guest book on their journals.

All in all, I think what you're shooting for here is a pretty good thing. :)

yellobelle
02-06-2013, 15:24
Another thing to consider is what you can do to make the hiker feel safe. After all, you will be the one reading their journals, seeing their photos and selecting specific individuals to meet up with away from the Trail-- not the reverse.

Great point! I was worried I would sound like a creeper LOL. We will meet up on trail first so they can size me up, too, and there are lots of shelters around, and they can just say they wanted to get farther before stopping. I would not take it personally, since it would likely be true in many cases.

Firefighter503
02-07-2013, 15:33
This is a great thread. My brothers and I do a lot of section hikes in that area, and I always thought it would be cool to have some property right on the trail to host other hikers, etc. Hopefully one day I will. I am hoping to make another attempt at a thru in 2014 or so, maybe we'll run into each other then.

Jeff
02-07-2013, 15:58
I encourage you to meet the caretakers at Bears Den....Steadee and Deal. They are great folks and can offer a wealth of information. Pretty sure they live there full time, even in the winter.

Camel2012
02-07-2013, 16:26
I'm probably not your typical thru-hiker when it comes to staying at people's homes along the trail. I'm a little bit antisocial, and while on the AT, i didn't stay at any private residences that wasn't in the book. I did have offers, but i just don't feel comfortable staying in someone's home that i don't know.

Now this year, I'm hiking with my 14 year old son, and i think i would be even less likely to do it with him along.

I think your sentiment is great, but as many have said, i would be careful about inviting people to your home with children. I have met some great people out there, but like life, you do have the occasional person that is a user and not someone you would want around your children.

As most said, doing trail magic during the bubble is the best way to meet and visit with hikers. The better the food, the longer people stick around and visit. I would never schedule someone to stay at my home without meeting them first.

Maybe my son and I will get to visit with you on the way through.

AT Trail Magic
02-09-2013, 11:30
Great questions. I've provided lodging/food for some hikers. What I've noticed about trail magic...don't advertise unless you're opening a hostile/shelter. When the opportunity presents itself for lodging, etc., you'll just know. That's the "magic" on the giving end of TM. I invited 5 thruhikers into my hotel room in Dalesville and ended up getting a call from them when they came to my home state in Maine. I never invite just one if I'm alone. You'll learn to recognize and "smell" a true thru-hiker vs a day hiker. Too clean, no beards, etc. then wouldn't make an offer to welcome in. When taking day hikes, carry an extra bag w/ trail magic. It doesn't have to be food. It can be simple medical necessities (Ibuprofen, bandaids), duct tape, fruit rollups, SNICKERS BARS, oatmeal or hot chocolate packs, personal items (small toothpaste)...anything LITE weight. That way, you're not leaving food for the critters, not having to sit in one place waiting for hikers, and still making some magic/contacts. If you plan on participating in trail magic, look for some great sales and use coupons to stock up now. When it comes time to take a day hike, make little brown paper, "party" bags w/ the items and just hand them to the hikers. They LOVE this! I make up bags w/ a little bit of everything, sometimes even dumb little toys (party favors). You'd been surprised how many grown guys love this! Just keep it lite. Once again, you'll just know when it's right! The AT truly is magical all in itself. Good luck w/ the penpals. If you homeschool, why not be a family of thruhikers. Have the girls plan out a trip for 2014: math, geography, biology, nutrition, culture all wrapped into one adventure!!!!

Coffee Rules!
02-09-2013, 11:35
If you homeschool, why not be a family of thruhikers. Have the girls plan out a trip for 2014: math, geography, biology, nutrition, culture all wrapped into one adventure!!!!

The smarta** in me wants to say, "Obviously you don't have daughters."

The no fun serious guy wants to say, "An idea most epic if doable."

Bloomer
02-09-2013, 12:20
Hosting hikers is very rewarding if you plan ahead and know what your doing. My only advice is don't serve a bunch of hikers ham and bean soup. I learned this the hard way. Yes, its and good meal full of protein but WOW its hard on the environment.

max patch
02-09-2013, 13:00
I'm sure 99% of people who invite hikers into their home for the night are harmless and mean well, but there are too may nut jobs out there for me to accept their invitation. I'll gladly pay $50 or whatever for a hotel room.

T-Rx
02-09-2013, 13:06
I'm sure 99% of people who invite hikers into their home for the night are harmless and mean well, but there are too may nut jobs out there for me to accept their invitation. I'll gladly pay $50 or whatever for a hotel room.

I agree with you on this one max.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2013, 13:09

there are some that have alterior motives. if you've been on the trail as long as i have you know what i'm talkin' about

Slo-go'en
02-09-2013, 13:35
there are some that have alterior motives. if you've been on the trail as long as i have you know what i'm talkin' about

Usually they want you to join thier religious cult...

Coosa
02-09-2013, 13:54
My suggestion, since your diet is specialized, is to let hikers know this and you'll probably find that there are some very thankful gluten-free and dairy-free hikers who would love to visit with you. They're the ones who have to send their food-boxes ahead because shopping in small grocery stores or convenience stores is difficult for them.

Live your dream.
Coosa
[Trail Angel in North Georgia in the late 1990's and early 2000's]

Lone Wolf
02-09-2013, 14:52
Usually they want you to join thier religious cult...

that too....

HikerMom58
02-09-2013, 15:07

Humm.. never thought about that before. I really don't want to know what that looks like, I'm sure it's not pretty. :eek:

AT Trail Magic
02-10-2013, 07:03
Actually, I got into trail magic because my daughter and her girlfriend...fresh out of college....couched surfed and hitched to become thruhikers from the Class of 2010. Trail names: Playboy and Sk'Rabbit!!! I understand thoroughly. There's good folks out there. They got "my" girls home. Forever grateful and in love w/ the AT.

yellobelle
02-10-2013, 22:29
Yep, read some stories from people who got trapped into religious or political interrogations, ahem, discussions. I tried to be up front about my ulterior motives. :-)

We are pretty novice hikers, so we will attempt some overnights before I start having them plan a thru! It is not outside the realm of possibility, but I have lots of adventurous ideas, like wwoofing and taking them to where I used to live in Siberia. So we are going to see where their passions lie, but transitioning to homeschooling and downsizing our lifestyle are some of our first steps towards being able to live that way. We have a world map already marked with everywhere we want to visit!

thank you for all the ideas & advice!

Blue Mountain Edward
02-11-2013, 06:03
You could become a famous trail angel quick. Hand out doggy bags of cheap food like pasta, peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches, mac and cheese, instant rice, burgers, fruit. You will make lots of friends. Let people tent in your yard. Set up a solar shower. I would not let strangers in the house. Theres a old saying, stranger danger.

evyck da fleet
02-11-2013, 12:47
I had two people take me into their homes last year who aren't listed in any of the guides. On both occasions I stayed in the basement. The one with kids also had a separate door to the house that could be locked. The basement had its own entrance. Both times I met the people in town and we each had a chance to size each other up first. So doing a hiker feed may give you a chance to size up some people in person before inviting them into your home. At the feed, you could also meet hikers who are keeping a trail journal and follow them from there. I had no problem emailing the people who hosted me a summit pic from Katahdin upon their request. This may not be exactly what you were looking for but its an option in case you start following some of the dreamers that bail before they get out of Georgia:(

Dogwood
02-11-2013, 13:12
I'm a thru-hiker. Your intentions are admirable but since you aren't a hiker you might want to opt to take things more slowly before opening your house to thru-hikers. It's not always right for all parties in all situations. Get to know what hikers are about, do trail maintenance, be a trail angel, do some simple trail magic(doesn't have to be a huge thing), follow potential hikers through trail journals before they are in your neighborhood, etc. YES, be selective. You want this to be a positive experience for your family and hikers. I think you got a lot of good advice already so I'll not repeat all that.

max patch
02-11-2013, 13:16
Yeah. Rifle might carve his name in your headboard. :)

Fredt4
02-11-2013, 13:35
Regarding sizing up a hiker. While I as anyone else will size up a hiker, I also know that that's a preliminary step. Some people will manifest clinical behavior, but you'll see false positives and false negatives. I also believe from previous experience that few thru hikers would be a problem. But no matter how nice or safe a hiker (or anyone) seems always require safety of at least two adults whenever strangers are present. As a hiker I would never be alone with a minor no matter what the circumstances.

Dont wish to sound negative but advise to size up a person/hiker can be foolish. Don't let fear stop from hosting hikers as its certainly a wonderful endeavor.

evyck da fleet
02-11-2013, 14:58
Regarding sizing up a hiker. While I as anyone else will size up a hiker, I also know that that's a preliminary step. Some people will manifest clinical behavior, but you'll see false positives and false negatives. I also believe from previous experience that few thru hikers would be a problem. But no matter how nice or safe a hiker (or anyone) seems always require safety of at least two adults whenever strangers are present. As a hiker I would never be alone with a minor no matter what the circumstances.

Dont wish to sound negative but advise to size up a person/hiker can be foolish. Don't let fear stop from hosting hikers as its certainly a wonderful endeavor.

I agree but not anymore foolish then inviting someone you met over the internet into your house.

I don't think it has to be a one or the other choice. And I also like the idea of stopping by the nearby hostel to see what you'll be getting yourself into as well.

jesse
02-11-2013, 16:09
I wouldn't do it.

max patch
02-12-2013, 23:12
Here is a thruhiker (oops, hike got ended early) do you want him in your home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGgH23lEVE&list=PL3523855AE817C465

WalkinHome
02-17-2013, 16:32
You have been given a bunch of good advice but I will add one more bit. Stay current with whiteblaze as the really "weird" AT characters will usually be quickly identified here, many times with a picture. Also, be aware that a "dodgy" hiker can change his/her trail name many times, for their convenience. Be prudent and have fun with it. There used to be a farm known as the Red Roof Barn and they had a cooler and map on their porch and hikers could buy ice cream and snacks and their children could ask hikers about their hometown, etc and put pushpins on the map, all supervised. I think that the children were home schooled in a Christian way. They were a stone's throw off the trail with a sign/price list at the road crossing. A very welcome and pleasant break. Enjoy.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2013, 16:58
There is certainly a safety factor here, as kids and strangers are involved. Having said that, I think it's an admirable idea and one that needs to be explored so all the downsides can be evaluated realistically. I agree it could be a great opportunity for your kids. If you read our initial post, you know that our entire plan to section hike the AT is a homeschool adventure, and my grandson and I are truly hoping for some positive interaction with other hikers and trail angels. Unfortunately it is not in our 2013 plan to be in northern Virginia, but it may well be a possibility in 2014. If you do find a way to set up some sort of station or welcome, perhaps we will see you then, and even maybe camp in your yard? I know my grandson would absolutely love to find kid-friends along the way! Also, just knowing there's someone friendly up ahead waiting to be met can inspire a leg of the journey! Please keep in touch and let us know how this works out.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2013, 17:34
Great questions. I've provided lodging/food for some hikers. What I've noticed about trail magic...don't advertise unless you're opening a hostile/shelter. When the opportunity presents itself for lodging, etc., you'll just know. That's the "magic" on the giving end of TM. I invited 5 thruhikers into my hotel room in Dalesville and ended up getting a call from them when they came to my home state in Maine. I never invite just one if I'm alone. You'll learn to recognize and "smell" a true thru-hiker vs a day hiker. Too clean, no beards, etc. then wouldn't make an offer to welcome in. When taking day hikes, carry an extra bag w/ trail magic. It doesn't have to be food. It can be simple medical necessities (Ibuprofen, bandaids), duct tape, fruit rollups, SNICKERS BARS, oatmeal or hot chocolate packs, personal items (small toothpaste)...anything LITE weight. That way, you're not leaving food for the critters, not having to sit in one place waiting for hikers, and still making some magic/contacts. If you plan on participating in trail magic, look for some great sales and use coupons to stock up now. When it comes time to take a day hike, make little brown paper, "party" bags w/ the items and just hand them to the hikers. They LOVE this! I make up bags w/ a little bit of everything, sometimes even dumb little toys (party favors). You'd been surprised how many grown guys love this! Just keep it lite. Once again, you'll just know when it's right! The AT truly is magical all in itself. Good luck w/ the penpals. If you homeschool, why not be a family of thruhikers. Have the girls plan out a trip for 2014: math, geography, biology, nutrition, culture all wrapped into one adventure!!!!

This is brilliant! My grandson and I will definitely be making up some "goody bags" this year as part of our "paying back" to the trail!