PDA

View Full Version : I'm leaving

chris
06-09-2005, 10:02
On Saturday I am getting on a plane bound for Calgary (that is in Canadia, eh) and a few days later will be back in the States, walking south toward Mexico, but more accurately toward the unknown. I do not know what I will find, either in along the backbone of the continent, nor in my mind, during the roughly 98 days I have to hike.

I will be following the CDT south to Helena, MT, before striking off on my own to see some areas that I've wanted to traverse for several years. My route will take me down the Big Belt and Bridger mountains into Bozeman. From Bozeman I'll run the Gallatin Divide south to Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone. Cutting east, I'll visit the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone before veering north into the Hell Roaring drainage and eventually into Cooke City. From Cooke City, I again run south into the Lamar Valley to try to find some wolves, back out of the park after failing via Republic Pass, and then back into the park via Eagle Pass. South through Thorofare, then over to the north end of the Tetons. South along the Teton Crest to Jackson. From Jackson, I'll cut through the Gros Ventre to the Green, maybe swim it, and be in the Wind River range. More likely, I'll have to detour north and rejoing the CDT before entering the Winds. From there, I'll be mostly on trail for the rest of the summer. I'll try to send updates this way a few times this summer.

I am trying to have as few expectations this summer as possible. I just want to be out and enjoy what time I have, to hold on to nothing that is not there, and to even try to let go of that. This is going to be difficult, as I'm leaving a woman at home that will most likely not be here when I return. I'm holding on too tightly, grasping at something that does not exist, and I am not strong enough to remedy this with purely internal medicine. The wilderness is either my crutch or tonic, depending on your persepective, and it is to that which I turn. I may reach Mexico. I might get hurt in Colorado. The heat of September in New Mexico could crush me. I could have an unfortunate enounter with Old Ephraim in Montana. I could break mentally. I could triumph.

Hope drives us forward. Without hope for the future, for a better tomorrow, there is no possibility of action. I'm leaving a lot behind on Saturday because I hope that it will lead to something better, something beyond what I am now.

grrickar
06-09-2005, 10:25
Good luck and may you find solace on the trail. The trail is a place for me to clear my mind and think about the things that I probably should be thinking more about on a daily basis but in getting in the rush of work and life it just doesn't happen. Go, hike, take it all in, decompress, and enjoy the time you have alone.

Bolo
06-09-2005, 10:29
Wow, what a journey!!

Looking forward to your inspirational accounts and breathtaking photos.

Be safe and happy.

Bolo
:)

Blister
06-09-2005, 10:39
Good luck dude!
I'll be heading south a little less than a week behind you. Not sure where my adventure will land. I may do Glacier and The Bob Marshall and then flip down to some of the CO trail. Peace, Love and Happy hiking!

Bolivershagnasty
06-09-2005, 12:40
here here to those who have the blessed oportunity. May you have the look of confidence and triumph in your eyes, even if failure closes in, than the cold timid look of failure in the eyes of those who never tried! OOrahhh!!!

The Hog
06-09-2005, 12:53
Chris, best of luck on this epic trek. The route you've chosen sounds fascinating (I did a five day circuit in the Tetons 30 years ago, and it ranks up there with short hikes I've done in New Zealand, Switzerland, and Norway). My own (future) CDT route will turn right in Yellowstone and go thru the Tetons and then on to Jackson. I'll be very interested to hear how your Yellowstone to the Winds segment pans out, especially swimming the Green River.

I think I speak for many when I say that I've greatly enjoyed seeing your excellent photos and am looking forward to seeing more.

I'll be doing Cadotte Pass to Anaconda this August, that'll bring my total CDT mileage up to about 550. Next year I hope to complete MT/ID.

TJ aka Teej
06-09-2005, 17:37
I am trying to have as few expectations this summer as possible.
"Every day above ground is a good day." -W.W.Maddox
Have a good walk, Chris. Don't forget to nap.

Tha Wookie
06-09-2005, 19:03
Have fun out there bro...:cool:

Mags
06-09-2005, 19:25
...and shoot me an e-mail when you get to Rawlins.

plodder
06-09-2005, 19:27
Be safe. Not that savvy on your route, but if you happen to stand on that three drainage basin spot, take a wizz for me.

bobgessner57
06-09-2005, 19:29
Chris:

The wilderness holds us, we can not hold onto anything other than memories.
Be open to a great trip and all else will work itself out. Ride the opportunity. Sounds like an awesome journey. Walk in peace.

Mini-Mosey
06-09-2005, 19:33
to you on your trek.

Sly
06-09-2005, 19:43
Chris, not sure where you're coming in from but I'm fairly you can get across the Green River to the trail by bridge near the northern end of the Winds at the Green River Lakes Campground.

chris
06-10-2005, 13:30
Thanks for all the kind words, it does mean a lot to me. I have a little more than a day left in town and preparations are more or less done. I just have to clean and lock my apartment, stabilize my car for the summer, and spend some time with the woman before going. I'll post here when I get the chance, and when I get back I'll start putting up another long winded web account of the summer on my webpage. Until then, everyone play nice.

Dainon
06-13-2005, 08:02
Personally I've found your "long winded web accounts" to be the most informative and insightful of any that I've ever read.

Good luck on your trip and take care.

Jaybird
06-13-2005, 10:29
have a great journey, Chris!

look foward to hearing about the trip on your return. :D