PDA

View Full Version : Rain jacket on the trail

Colonel_forbin
02-04-2013, 22:48
Going for a 2 week hike from ny to pa in june, should I bring my gore tex rain jacket or leave it home for a poncho?

For clothes I was thinking
2 bandana
1 pair shorts with boxers
1 tech fabric short
1 pair half running tights
2 pairs socks
Is that considered light on clothes?

JAK
02-04-2013, 22:59
I like a rain poncho when it is also my shelter, otherwise a rain jacket especially for windy cold conditions.

JAK
02-04-2013, 23:02
I would say yeah, that is light on clothing. Find out coldest temp, and consider rain and wind.
I carry layers that add up to 1 oz per degree F below 80-85F, not counting shoes, shells, and shorts.
So for 45F, about 40oz, spread out evenly. Second pair of socks can be used as mitts to dry or in a pinch.

Trillium
02-04-2013, 23:06
Hey forbin, if I say GO GREEN!, what say you?

atmilkman
02-04-2013, 23:21
Hey forbin, if I say GO GREEN!, what say you?
Being from Michigan I thought ya'll said GO BLUE!

Colonel_forbin
02-04-2013, 23:46
Ha go green? didn't ring a bell, I got this name from phish haha

Deacon
02-05-2013, 08:29
Being from Michigan I thought ya'll said GO BLUE!

Them's dirty words to us in Ohio!

moldy
02-05-2013, 09:51
Are you going topless? Yes, I think this qualifys as going light. I would bring the rain jacket. You might need a shirt of some kind to keep the skeeters off.

Colonel_forbin
02-05-2013, 10:39
Ah it should have said tech fabric shirt

88BlueGT
02-05-2013, 13:40
Only shorts??? No pants????

88BlueGT
02-05-2013, 13:41
^^ EDIT: I didn't see that you were taking this trip in June... boy does that change things! lol

Okay so back to the topic. Personally, I would bring the rain jacket. Just my .02.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2013, 13:51
It is going to be warm. One year I nearly passed out from heat stroke going into the DWG around Memorial weekend. You will be wanting to get an early start due to the heat and it can be suprisingly chilly around dawn. A warm outer shirt is always recommend, year round. The gortex rain jacket will also be a big help in the mornings. I'm not a fan of ponchos, but for a quick shelter during a thunderstorm, they can be ideal. For an all day drizzle, I like a jacket better. So, take both :)

Tics are going to be very active through there at that time of year. Even though it's gonna be hot, I'd wear long pants.

SCRUB HIKER
02-05-2013, 15:27
I would say bring one extra shirt, like a long-sleeve base layer, and keep it dry somewhere in your bag. It doesn't have to be a raincoat, just something that you can put on if you've been drenched and it's not really that warm--let's say, 65 degrees, which could reasonably happen in June in NY. Since you don't have much warm clothing, you would just get straight into your sleeping bag when you stop hiking if you're cold or wet, except you wouldn't want a soaking wet shirt or bare wet torso inside your sleeping bag, especially if it's down, so you'd change into your dry layer. If it rains for multiple days you might have to bail into town, but that's easy to do in NY and PA. Your one extra shirt could also be your more respectable town shirt.

Yes you're light on clothes but I don't think that what you have is terrible. I don't think you need rain gear for that time and place, but that's just my opinion. You just want a backup option if you're wet, although you do leave yourself with fewer options for what to do when it's seriously wet.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2013, 16:36
One of the few times I became close to hyperthermic was on a 90 degree day in NY when a T-storm came by. We had to wait it out since lightning was flashing near-by and we were about to come out to some exposed ledge. Like an idiot I didn't think to hunker down under my ground cloth. Instead I stood around in a nylon wind breaker getting drenched. It only took 10 minutes for my teeth to start chattering. Time to start moving, storm or no storm...

slbirdnerd
02-05-2013, 21:25
What about rain pants late may and in June in TN/GA? Seems like too much. I have some, but I don't even wear them on the bike.

daddytwosticks
02-06-2013, 08:30
What about rain pants late may and in June in TN/GA? Seems like too much. I have some, but I don't even wear them on the bike. IMO, not needed that time of year unless you tend to get cold or are cold blooded to begin with. :)