PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - Section info

mak1277
02-05-2013, 10:22
Hi all...been lurking a while but it's time to post methinks.

I'm trying to plan a short (3-5 day) overnight trip along the AT in Northern VA for later this spring. Aside from ordering the guide books, is there a place I can find information about water sources (both at the shelters and otherwise) and other vital info?

Many thanks.

moldy
02-05-2013, 10:52
I don't know of a collected on-line source for the info you want. I get my water source info from 2 places. The guide and the maps. Both can be wrong, especially during drought conditions. But for the most part if the map and the book indicate water then it's there. Now for a 3 to 5 day trip in a specific spot you can ask here if you do it a little bit at a time. eg: post here: How reliable is the water at Mollie Denton Shelter? or what will water conditions be like in May along the Roller Coaster? What you are after is hikers who live in the area and hike it all the time to answer your question. You might be able to bait a better response by starting your question with: How familiar are you with water conditions in Northern Virginia?

FarmerChef
02-05-2013, 14:32
+1 to what Moldy said. Give us some specifics about the section you'll be hiking or at least the distance you expect to cover as miles per day and we can give you some local info. Even when I go locally (and I know the water sources) I still use the maps and guides. If one comes up dry it's nice to know where something else you wouldn't normally consider might be.

mak1277
02-05-2013, 23:42
Thanks. Initial trip, I'm looking to go between Bears Den and Front Royal (roughly). Planning to do it over three days / two nights, but the third day I'd like to be a short day (< 8 mi.).

I read the water at Dicks Dome shelter is bad. True?

otherwise, would I be able to manage just hitting the shelters on that stretch?