PDA

View Full Version : Camping GSMNP/TN/NC -- Local trails or campgrounds?

MyName1sMud
02-05-2013, 13:02
I'm planning a little get away trip for the start of March. I want to get up there somewhere near GSMNP as I want to go to the top of Clingmans and see it again. I hiked to the top of it from Bryson City, NC one time a few years back and haven’t been back to it since. It was pretty foggy up there that day (start of March then too) and I wanted to see if I could get lucky and see it on a blue sky day.

So…. As I won’t be backpacking to it…. Where is some good car camping in the area? I’d like to avoid having to get a permit so I guess that knocks out a lot of the GSMNP areas. Plus I’m bringing my Great Dane… so the place would need to be dog friendly which I hear the GSMNP isn’t dog friendly.

Anywhere like that around or would I have better luck just heading out to the Ozarks where I know people don’t complain about dogs?

jbwood5
02-05-2013, 13:38
I'm planning a little get away trip for the start of March. I want to get up there somewhere near GSMNP as I want to go to the top of Clingmans and see it again. I hiked to the top of it from Bryson City, NC one time a few years back and haven’t been back to it since. It was pretty foggy up there that day (start of March then too) and I wanted to see if I could get lucky and see it on a blue sky day.

So…. As I won’t be backpacking to it…. Where is some good car camping in the area? I’d like to avoid having to get a permit so I guess that knocks out a lot of the GSMNP areas. Plus I’m bringing my Great Dane… so the place would need to be dog friendly which I hear the GSMNP isn’t dog friendly.

Anywhere like that around or would I have better luck just heading out to the Ozarks where I know people don’t complain about dogs?

Right now Hwy 441 is closed from the S according to: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm
You might have to come in from the Gatlinburg side, weather permitting.

I can't help you with any campgrounds outside the Park on the N side. I have often stayed at Cheoah Point on the SW side but they may not be open yet. There are a few free tent sites near that location (to the S on Santeelah Lake), but not great for car camping due to incline. That is all National Forest Land. In the early season during weekdays, those sites are almost always vacant. It is still a long drive to Clingmans, even if the road is open.

MyName1sMud
02-05-2013, 13:41
Thanks man! I guess i'm heading to the Ozarks then.

jbwood5
02-05-2013, 13:41
Also, IIRC, Clingman's Dome Rd opens April first if the weather permis.

flemdawg1
02-05-2013, 15:39
1. You don't need a permit to use the campgrounds. Just show up, except the Cattaloochie campground which now requires advance reservations (but since this cg is so isolated from roads you'd want to get an advance res anyway).

2. If you don't want to go the NPS campground route, here's a neat place just off the Blue Ridge Parkway between Cherokee and Wear Valley.
http://www.campmilehigh.com/Milehigh.com/Info.html