PDA

View Full Version : Directions to Big Bald

MDSHiker
06-09-2005, 10:51
I'm looking for driving directions to Big Bald on the AT in North Carolina. I remember crossing over Big Bald and there was a gravel road there.

Anyone know how to drive there??

Alligator
06-09-2005, 11:11
I'll bet Miss Janet knows. I vaguely remember someone mentioning a gate, but when I went through, some guys from Florida had driven their SUV up. So I'm not sure.

Repeat
06-09-2005, 11:47
There is a road to the top, but no public access to my knowlege. You have to "know" the "people" with the key to the gate. It seems I run into people, on top of Big Bald, from the close my gated-community who have this access, but not the general public. The closest way to the top via the AT is from the south at Sam's Gap. Take exit 3 on the NC side of I26 and follow old 23 to the top of Sam's gap. There is a parking place next to the bridge under I26. Follow the AT north for 6.5 miles to Big Bald.

MDSHiker
06-09-2005, 14:52
Thanks for the input everyone. I remember getting to the top of Big Bald and I sat down to cook a meal. There were several cars up there and people were out walking around taking it all in. I even scored a Pepsi and a candy bar...good times. Anyway, with all the cars up there I just figured you could easily drive up there.

Miss Janet
06-09-2005, 16:56
I used to be able to get permission to drive up to the top of the bald under some circumstances. A couple of years ago they let some "nice" people go up to camp for the night. These people were up shouting, drinking, shooting off fireworks and guns all night long. They no longer allow you to drive up unless you live there or have someone who lives there in Wolf Laurel that will let you up. They might let you park at the gate and walk up the road to the bald. If that doesn't work out you can always drive to carvers and walk up to Jane Bald or Round Bald.

MDSHiker
06-09-2005, 17:05
Miss Janet, thanks for the info...it just so happens that you were the one who shuttled me on that particular section hike.

Good times...good times...