PDA

View Full Version : TarpTent Guyline lengths?

blytz
06-09-2005, 11:42
I've just finished sewing up my TarpTent (modified Shires design) and I've attempted to pitch it using about 12" guy lines on the rear, and 18" lines on the sides and front. These only allow the tent to sit about 4" off the ground (I was using a 36" center pole but need to go with about 40"-42" inches, still haven't bought and adjustable pole).

Anyway, what approxiamate length should I use? Are these lengths okay and if so, will the taller pole just lift it off the ground?

Thanks!

SandalScout

blytz
06-09-2005, 11:51
Actually, I've seen some more pictures (I guess I never payed attention to the pictures of the guylines before, doh!) and it looks like most of the guy lines are close to 3 foot long. Is this about right (6 foot doubled over?)

BookBurner
06-09-2005, 12:22
If you have incorporated mosquito netting into your tarptent, a taller front pole will begin to lift the pleated corners of the netting off the ground and compromise the "seal" against invading critters. This factor tends to limit the max amount of headroom you can acheive with a taller pole. Nonetheless, once you find the right balance between headroom and mosquito protection, then measure your guidelines and cut. Also, don't forget that the higher you lift the tarptent sides off the ground, the more backsplash you are likely to experience on the exposed netting from rain running off the roof. That all being said though, the tarptent is an awesome shelter!!

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

blytz
06-10-2005, 09:14
Thanks BookBurner! I'll do it that way once I get my TripTease. I appreciate your input about the height as well!

SandalScout