PDA

View Full Version : Looking for fellow hiker(s) in central PA

stillatit
02-05-2013, 18:41
Middle-aged professional male newbie here, that is, to this forum, not to hiking in general or on the AT. This is my first post. I've hiked hundreds of miles on the AT and PCT, but not interested in thru-hiking. I've also done the Highline Trail in Utah, much of the Tonto in the Grand Canyon, some of the Superior Hiking Trail and all the Border Route in MN, a bit of the CDT. Plenty of other places too including 8 days in the Alps.

Never been a blitzer, often just doing 6-10 mi. a day. I'm more into slowing taking in the experience of hiking, but can churn out 15-20 miles if really necessary and it's not all steep uphill. Enuf on myself.

I'm looking to do a section or more in central PA, from PA State Route 183 NOBO, perhaps to DWG or into New Jersey. I have a Ford Ranger (small pickup w/bedcap) and would ideally like to find a partner or two who'd be willing to shuttle with their vehicle, thus saving on doubling back on foot, hitching rides, or paying those exorbitant $2+/mi. shuttle fees. A handy vehicle is great for a run to get a shower, launder clothes, replace gear, get food, etc.

Time is flexible. I'm thinking about heading out next month, before the bugs hit. March is ideal for this. Last March I did some of the northern section of the Shend. Natl. Pk. but had to bail when I got a cold/virus. Of course, last March was unusually warm (great flowers there!), but even in normal years the bitter cold is usually gone by March. Weather is a factor too---never big on hiking in the rain for days on end.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, let me know. I live in Cincinnati and would drive to PA.

Thanks.

still-at-it

TEXMAN
02-10-2013, 11:41
Stillatit,

I have 2 sections in PA that I would like to accomplish this spring ..... Duncannon to Port Clinton and PA 873 Lehigh Gap to DWG

I could hike at the end of March early April ....

PM me with your email id and we can discuss if dates /sections work for both of us...

Old Man River

Ian K
02-11-2013, 08:55
Janet offers a ridiculously cheap shuttle in that section. She shuttled me from the DWG Visitor's Center to the Hamburg Reservoir for $27 last October. Her contact info can be found on the ATC's shuttle list.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-2-6-13.pdf

stillatit
02-11-2013, 18:12
TEXMAN,

I'm PMing you now.

Ian,

THANKS for the tip!

:sun