PDA

View Full Version : Mail Order Catalogs

rickb
06-09-2005, 12:26
Which gear catalogs do you actually order from and/or read cover to cover. Check all that apply.

dougmeredith
06-09-2005, 12:39
I look at my MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) catalog pretty closely.

Doug

Footslogger
06-09-2005, 13:22
We don't have any real outfitters here in Laramie. The closest are in Cheyenne or down in Ft Collins. Since moving out here I tend to order more things from catalogues than ever before.

'Slogger
AT 2003

gr8fulyankee
06-09-2005, 13:34
When most if not all of these companies have websites today, catalogs are really a waste of natural resources and only increase what your end of paying for the product that you purchase.

Footslogger
06-09-2005, 13:57
When most if not all of these companies have websites today, catalogs are really a waste of natural resources and only increase what your end of paying for the product that you purchase.---------------------------------------
That's actually a good point. Provided you have web access (which may be part of the reason for still having the catalogues) all you'd need was a little post card saying that the new year/season catalogue is available on-line. Personally I get WAY too many catalogues in the mail as it is !!

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
06-09-2005, 14:01
I've spent thousands at Campmor the past 19 years.

ShakeyLeggs
06-09-2005, 18:38
I've spent thousands at Campmor the past 19 years.
Heck I probably own the place by now with all that I have spent there over the years. Campmor is great but the selection while extensive is a bit limited.

Scribe
06-09-2005, 20:14
Our locally-owned outdoor store will match any catalog price (including shipping), but they don't carry everything I need, so to the Campmor on-line catalog I go.

And, I have been to Jax in Ft. Collins, CO, and have purchased several items there (including a couple of Kelty packs).

HikerHobo
06-09-2005, 21:45
:-?
My wife complains about finding the Campmor catalog
in the head all the time; however, we still use toilet paper.
:eek:

Alligator
06-09-2005, 22:08
Just reading the articles I presume:o .

Bob Baker
06-10-2005, 01:43
I like Backcountry magazine also. Unlike pretty much all other hiking magazines it is brightly colored and well layed out. Unfortunatly it does have a limited selection (I guess thats what campmor is for though).

Moon Monster
06-12-2005, 00:42
I look at my MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) catalog pretty closely.

Doug

Does anybody in the US get this? I joined MEC in 2002 to buy some things, but I never got a catalog. Didn't know they had one.

LL Bean uses real-life locals in their photos. I dated a girl whose dogs were pictured in a few issues. REI seems to mine Hollywood for their models.

Mags
06-12-2005, 18:40

The Campmor catalog is always in the bathroom. Footslogger can verify this fact (as well as any other hikers who attended the Rockies Ruck. :) )

Alligator
06-12-2005, 19:29
Does anybody in the US get this? I joined MEC in 2002 to buy some things, but I never got a catalog. Didn't know they had one.

LL Bean uses real-life locals in their photos. I dated a girl whose dogs were pictured in a few issues. REI seems to mine Hollywood for their models.
If you really want the catalog, just give them a call. They may have made a mistake with your address. Happened to me. I'm pretty sure that the catalog comes twice a year.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-05-2005, 15:34
I favor Ultra-light when it comes to Matt, the mail person who has to hump all that wasted paper to my door so I can drop it in the recycle bin. Interestingly, just a day or so ago they were discussing junk mail on NPR and a blind guy called in and made the point that it really takes him time to figure out what's in all that crap mail he gets. I consider junk mail to be as invasive and annoying as telemarketers. Count yer blessings.

Doctari
07-07-2005, 04:10
the ones I read are: Sportsmans guide, Campmor & Sierra Trading post.

Havn't ordered anything from either in years, mostly cause I have everything I need, and cause I have access to a number of outfitters here in Cincy.

Doctari.

Ridge
07-07-2005, 18:29
We usually shop in person at the Atlanta REI's and order by mail from Campmor. All our boots are resoled (via REI) at Dave Page in Seattle. hikerwife

jackiebolen
07-07-2005, 19:35
For all you Americans out there, www.mec.ca is a pretty good deal. Check it out, it's where I shop almost exclusively. Of course, I live in Canada so there's stores in every major city here. But with the exchange rate, I think the prices are pretty good for Americans, even when shipping is factored in.

fiddlehead
07-07-2005, 22:19
I have to agree with those who use the internet for their comparison or shopping of gear. That way you can see all the companies and although it's not easy to take into the bathroom with you, it saves a hell of a lot of trees.
by the way, www.theunderwearguys.com (http://www.theunderwearguys.com) uses real thru-hikers for their models!
of course that's a small advertisement for my company but i couldn't resist it in this thread! (my company wasn't even in the poll)

Jaybird
08-13-2005, 09:20
Which gear catalogs do you actually order from and/or read cover to cover. Check all that apply.

i voted for REI (i'm a member), Campmor, (i got my mummy bag from them!) &
LLBean (my wife loves those guys!) but, mostly i support my local Mom & Pop OUTFITTER store: CUMBERLAND TRANSIT, in Nashville,TN (http://www.cumberlandtransit.com/), when i can.

neo
08-13-2005, 21:42
i voted for REI (i'm a member), Campmor, (i got my mummy bag from them!) &
LLBean (my wife loves those guys!) but, mostly i support my local Mom & Pop OUTFITTER store: CUMBERLAND TRANSIT, in Nashville,TN (http://www.cumberlandtransit.com/), when i can.
we just bought a kayak for my wife from cumberland transit yesterday:cool: neo

neo
08-13-2005, 21:43
i voted REI i am a member,i love thier life time guarantee:cool: neo

Sly
08-13-2005, 22:21
Although I've bought somethings from most of the major online retailers, my first choice is/would be to buy from hikers, especially ones that I know personally, like

Fiddlehead (theunderwearguys),
Ron Moak (sixmoondesigns),
Glen Van Peski (gossamergear),
Henry Shire (tarptent),
Brian Frankle (ula)
Timman (antigravitygear)
Ed Spears (speerhammock)
Ed Hinnart (thepacka)

and then on-trail outfitters such as Mountain Crossings, NOC, Bluff Mountain, and the Outfitters at Harpers Ferry.

RobK
12-13-2005, 07:58
REI has the largest selection that I know of.
EMS, I've got two dozen of their products in the house right now, but they seem to have less and less everytime I shop. I will be in the market for some new boots soon - it will be to REI that I go....!

Peaks
12-13-2005, 09:07
REI has the largest selection that I know of.
EMS, I've got two dozen of their products in the house right now, but they seem to have less and less everytime I shop. I will be in the market for some new boots soon - it will be to REI that I go....!

If you have a choice of stores, then shop around. I find some things at EMS, and other things at REI. I'll keep an eye out for sale prices at EMS. In addition, I think that EMS house brand is fine for several pieces of clothing.

For boots, what matters is fit, fit, and fit. Before going to REI, check to see if what EMS carries fits your feet.

Just Jeff
12-13-2005, 10:24
I shop around online, but I like to buy from cottage guys or local outfitters if possible. Back in Charleston, I had a local outfitter (http://www.vhoutfitters.com/) who would look stuff up online right there at the counter and match the price if he could. And if he couldn't, I was willing to pay a bit extra just to buy local - having the service of an actual store with people in it was worth the extra cost.

Right before I moved, he closed his store and went all-online. He said running the store was like 80% of his costs, but about 70% of his profits came from the internet (numbers may be off a bit, but they show the scale). Bummer, too - some manufacturers won't deal with stores unless they have a brick and mortar presence, so he lost some good lines by moving. I thought he carried some great stuff, but it doesn't show up on his website.

Anyway, I haven't found a place like that in Monterey. Lots of surf shops, but no hiking stores with lightweight gear. Odd, too - I see backpackers walking around the streets several times a week.

Pennsylvania Rose
12-13-2005, 13:05

My husband complains about the same thing. So glad I'm not alone.

Wolfpaw
01-04-2006, 19:28
moosejaw
moosejaw

Peaks
01-05-2006, 10:24
I just cleaned out the LL Bean catalogs. We had 16 different catalogs delivered to us for the Holiday shopping season.

Skyline
01-05-2006, 11:50
Disclaimer: I'm in the printing business and make my living printing brochures and catalogs.

Having said that, printed catalogs are cost effective because people USE them. Using them translates into ordering, which is what the company is in business to get you to do. They are portable, and can be perused anywhere there is enough light to read it.

Websites are great, and many offer search capabilities. But you need to have a computer and internet connection to get onto a website. Not nearly as portable as a catalog. Many websites are clunky, disorganized, and cumbersome. Especially the ordering part.

When I deal with Campmor, I almost always combine use of the catalog with their website, but place my order by phone.

YMMV.