PDA

View Full Version : Attention Military Thru Hikers!!!

captsdg
02-05-2013, 20:55
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy has launched a new initiative called the "Walk Off The War" Project which provides fully funded scholarships to military veterans thru hiking the Appalachian Trail in 2013.

Here is the link: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-we-are/events/2013/02/05/walk-off-the-war-project

Astro
02-05-2013, 21:41
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy has launched a new initiative called the "Walk Off The War" Project which provides fully funded scholarships to military veterans thru hiking the Appalachian Trail in 2013.

Here is the link: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-we-are/events/2013/02/05/walk-off-the-war-project

That is appropriate considering how Earl Shaffer (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Earl_Shaffer) got it all started.

tds1195
02-05-2013, 21:44
This is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing Captsdg! Man...I wish I didn't have a job haha. It would be great to get out with some military guys!

captsdg
02-05-2013, 21:46
This is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing Captsdg! Man...I wish I didn't have a job haha. It would be great to get out with some military guys!

I think a lot of people will come out an do a section with this year's group of veteran hikers. So if you can get away for a few days, I'm sure you could join them...

tds1195
02-05-2013, 21:50
I think a lot of people will come out an do a section with this year's group of veteran hikers. So if you can get away for a few days, I'm sure you could join them...

I think I'll have to do that. I am planning on doing quite a few sections anyway.

Magic_Rat
02-05-2013, 22:26
What an absolutely wonderful program! A great initiative, I hope to meet the recipients on the trail.

Old Hillwalker
02-06-2013, 08:33
Interesting idea. Wonder how it works? Scholarship. Does it mean partially or fully funded? And I wonder if the ATC is not just doing this as a publicity stunt? I have been trying to "walk off the war" since I snuck back into the Country in 1969. Still trying, but without much success. Since I can't handle being around groups of people, the AT has not been an answer. Other, seldom used trails are better for me. Cape Wrath Trail, Long Range Traverse and so on. (Snuck back in) means that when we returned from Viet Nam we had to slip into the LAX rest rooms in SF, change into civvies and dump out uniforms in the trash so when we left the terminal we were not assulted, spat upon and called baby killers by the anti-war protesters.

captsdg
02-06-2013, 08:55
Interesting idea. Wonder how it works? Scholarship. Does it mean partially or fully funded? And I wonder if the ATC is not just doing this as a publicity stunt? I have been trying to "walk off the war" since I snuck back into the Country in 1969. Still trying, but without much success. Since I can't handle being around groups of people, the AT has not been an answer. Other, seldom used trails are better for me. Cape Wrath Trail, Long Range Traverse and so on. (Snuck back in) means that when we returned from Viet Nam we had to slip into the LAX rest rooms in SF, change into civvies and dump out uniforms in the trash so when we left the terminal we were not assulted, spat upon and called baby killers by the anti-war protesters.

The ATC intends to fully fund the hike. They introduced this program in honor of Earl Shaffer who was the first person the thru hike the Appalachian Trail after returning from World War II.

tauwillow
02-06-2013, 08:58
From the website:

"The Walk of the War Program is designed to support wounded veterans transitioning from military service by hiking the Appalachian Trail. Veterans who have hiked the Appalachian Trail speak passionately about the physical, psychological, and spiritual benefits they experienced during their journey. Additionally, hiking the Appalachian Trail gives veterans a unique opportunity to discover our nation’s most treasured landscapes.

Veterans participating in the Walk Off The War Program will receive support in various forms during their hike. First, the Walk Off The War Program will fund each veteran’s journey by purchasing equipment and supplies required to complete the hike. Second, veterans will be given lifetime memberships to the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Appalachian Trial Conservancy which have posts and clubs located at trail towns along the entire length of the Appalachian Trail. These posts and clubs will provide transportation, food, and lodging to veterans during trail town stops. Last, the Walk Off The War Program will assist veterans with future employment opportunities with the numerous sponsors that support the Walk Off The War Program.

By accepting a grant from the Walk Off The War Program, veterans agree to follow a general schedule to the best of their ability. The purpose of this schedule is to allow the numerous organizations that will support the hike a chance to prepare and coordinate assistance. This schedule also allows veterans to participate in the various hiker events and celebrations that occur along the trial."

http://warriorhike.com

Firefighter503
02-14-2013, 04:47
Pretty cool. Looking forward to hearing more about it.