16 pks Oatmeal makes 8 breakfast
3 double pks Poptarts makes 3 breakfast
20 pks. Hot Chocolate mixes makes 20 hot breakfast drinks
24 pks. single Kool-aid makes 2 drinks a day for 6 days
6 Candy Bars makes 6 snacks
5 Granola Bars makes 5 snacks
5 pks. Trail Mix makes 5 snacks
1 pks. Large pk of gum just to chew along the way

I know that food will increase after awile but this is the start out list.

I know that some where concerned about whether or not I was taking enough food this is what I have at the monent. What do you think?

Malto
02-05-2013, 21:45
How about a little variety? Also, you have few snacks. I would greatly increase the snacks and eat continuously throughout the day vs set meals.

swjohnsey
02-05-2013, 21:47
Come up with a calorie count, protein count and weight.

yellowsirocco
02-05-2013, 21:52
You need to lay it out by day. We all know a granola bar is a snack. How many snacks in a day though.

I like to lay things out by the hobbit eating schedule: breakfast, 2nd breakfast, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, and supper. For example elevensies may just be a handfull of raisins, but it is a fun way to make sure I keep eating and my energy stays up.

Blissful
02-05-2013, 21:54
No veggies, no fruits, tons of empty carbs, little in the way of vitamins and minerals.

And don't take cans. (Spam does come in packets)

starbright
02-05-2013, 22:00
I figured that when we get ready to head out for the trail I would add block cheese and either some kind of bread or crackers. Also going to get a smoked sausage to take as well.

starbright
02-06-2013, 00:25
I guess I should add that my daughter is taking a small jar of honey and my son is taking a jar of pickle relish he said he can eat tuna all day long as long as he has pickles. I told him that he will probably be surprised what he will eat by the end of the trip.

Forgot to put the Oliver oil and bacon bits on the list above.

Mountain Mike
02-06-2013, 00:39
3 pks. Instant Potatoes serves 4 can be 1/2ed or 1/4 for 2 to 4 day servings
3 pks. Alfrado Noodles serves 4 can be 1/2ed or 1/4 for
2 to 4 servings
2 can Spam makes 8 servings in cold weather
4 pks. Tuna makes 4 lunches
3 cans Viennie Wennies makes 3 lunches

I know that some where concerned about whether or not I was taking enough food this is what I have at the monent. What do you think?

Try that diet at home next two weeks & then reply to yourself. Most hikers make use of Knoor sides & add some of the meats you mentioned. After about 3 day a can f Vienna sausage is far from a meal. maybe a snack. You will double to triple caloric needs. Look at food forums here.

Northern Lights
02-06-2013, 00:59
2 to 4 servings

Is this list just for you? Or for you and your children? You will eat one knorr or instant potatoes by yourself for one meal. I usually have a knorr side dish with some sausage or spam. Definately take Blissful's advice and get spam singles instead of the cans.
The other thing I like to take is hard boiled eggs, an easy snack.

Slo-go'en
02-06-2013, 01:04
Vienna sausages are vile. Every so often I'll buy a can thinking "maybe it won't be so bad this time" and of course, it always is...

So the kids are coming along too? That puts a whole new wrinkle on the discussion. Now theres three to feed?

I'd go heavy on the PB+J. Get a plastic bread box and carry a loaf. Walmart trail mix by the 2 pound bag. Rasins (and/or other dried fruit) and almond slivers to add to the oatmeal.

starbright
02-06-2013, 01:24
Sorry if I confused anyone.

My son is 22 and my daughter is 17 they are kids to me.

Yes there will be 3 of us but everyone is carrying their own food and everything else that is needed.

Try that diet at home next two weeks & then reply to yourself.

I don't have to try this at home this the kinds of food we eat all the time. So we already like it and know how much it takes to fill us up. This is the start off list of food I know that as time goes by that more will be needed but the first couple of weeks this is what I figure we will eat.

I grew up eating these foods and so have my kids so this is just everyday stuff to us. The only things that I will miss will be the Beans, Fried Potatoes, and Cornbread.

Northern Lights
02-06-2013, 02:11
Sorry if I confused anyone.

My son is 22 and my daughter is 17 they are kids to me.

Yes there will be 3 of us but everyone is carrying their own food and everything else that is needed.

I don't have to try this at home this the kinds of food we eat all the time. So we already like it and know how much it takes to fill us up. This is the start off list of food I know that as time goes by that more will be needed but the first couple of weeks this is what I figure we will eat.

I grew up eating these foods and so have my kids so this is just everyday stuff to us. The only things that I will miss will be the Beans, Fried Potatoes, and Cornbread.

Well that makes a bit more sense. You can still have beans, but it most likely will be after a town resupply. Open up the can and put it in a baggie. You may not be very hungry at first but after a little while hiking all day long you will find you will need more food. But you will figure that out as you go.

prain4u
02-06-2013, 02:43
2 to 4 servings

THIS is your current diet and it is what you plan to take with you on your thru hike AND you are a DIABETIC who carries a glucose meter? Unbelievable.

I spend a lot of time around diabetics. Diabetes runs in my family (my brother, my sister, several first cousins). Thus, your diet surprises me.

Poptarts? Candy bars? Hot chocolate? KoolAid?

Then--on top of all of those sugary items---you are also planning on eating a lot of items that--depending upon what brand you buy, the exact ingredients (and the amount consumed) will be LOADED with carbohydrates--which the body turns into even MORE sugars (items such as mashed potatoes, Alfredo noodles, granola bars, and trail mix---some trail mix is just LOADED with sugars and carbohydrates).

Please note that you will be burning many more calories on the trail than at home. Thus, you will probably need to consume more calories on the trail than at home. The lack of calories could impact your diabetes too.

Well, I have now crossed over into being mean-spirited and being a first class nag. So, I will quit typing and quit pestering you.

Good luck. Best wishes. Hope you make it all the way to Katahdin.

Stir Fry
02-06-2013, 03:10
I hope you post your progress, it will intresting to follow. Good luck. Start slow and have fun.

Hikemor
02-06-2013, 10:12
Recommend a higher percentage of proteins and fats v. what you have posted. High protein + fat foods that are popular on the trail include cheese, peanut butter/nuts, gorp, also hard boiled eggs and powdered milk. Add a tub of margarine or sqeeze Parkay for another fat source. Protein, fat and fiber are more easily obtained during town stops (e.g. cheese burgers, salad bars, etc.)

I find vienna sausage unpalatable but since they are probably 70 percent fat may be partly redeemed. Spam, once the can is opened (I have not used the packets), is a smelly, greasy mess up to and beyond disposal of the can in the garbage.

Your inventory will feed 3 adults for about 3-4 days (beginning) and 2 days (after about 3-4 weeks).

Mos2111
02-06-2013, 10:21
Come up with a calorie count, protein count and weight.

That is VERY ASTUTE advice. You just delayed my next question thread.

snickersbar
02-06-2013, 11:16
I kinda agree with most of the comments. If you do your food a little differently, you'll feel better and stronger and make it farther. Case meats are chock full of preservatives and way more salt than your body needs, even walking 20 mpd, and tuna should only be eaten once a week at most, esp. by children, because of heavy metal build up; mercury and I could go on and on but instead I have some helpful suggestions. :-) I'm a female too and here is my typical daily meal plan which might also save you money in the end...
Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal or 1/2 cup Cream of Wheat or 2 cups of grain style cold cereal and the highest protein content of dried milk product you can buy (Nido or even Carnation whole milk), a hot beverage with plenty of caffeine, vitamins, and a muscle and meal replacement dried protein shake. This is a huge amount of food for me now, but I give it 2 weeks before I have to increase my portions.
Lunch: Snack all day on homemade trail mix (almonds & walnuts=good fats that keep you full, raisin and dried dates and fruiuts=good sugars and instant energy, carob covered nuts, dried fruit, and even M&M's just because a bit of chocolate=increase happy feeling chemicals in your brain, pick up some protein bars, have a protein shake, around 2:30, when you're all lagging, make a quick caffeine drink and have a trail bar, some peanut butter or coconut cookies or peanut or almond butter with crackers or cheese and crackers to hold you over until camp. The hobbit eating schedule is a good one.
Dinner: A starchy dinner is filling, but a heavy dose of protein is what is going to prevent you from waking up at 4:07 am starving for the food hanging up on the bear pole or tree. You can buy ready meal packets of dried Knorrs soup, for example, and split it 4 ways into sandwich bags and add in your dried fast cook grain or couscous or noodles or instant rice, think about ordering some dried veggies and add them in until the baggie weighs at least 6 ounces or more. Boil the water on the trail THEN add the mix and cheese and meat or whatever and let it sit off the heat for 15-20 minutes and then give it a last booster reheat while stirring to prevent burning it. This method saves a ton of fuel and works great! Hope this helps.
Dinner

WingedMonkey
02-06-2013, 12:22

I've been getting these at Walmart. Look around the other canned meats or in the Latin section. Not something I'd go out of my way for, a nice treat around cocktail hour with some crackers (since my retort smoked oysters have disappeared).

They come in small and large packages.

pelenaka
02-06-2013, 13:27
My daily diet is a modified Atkins/whole grains, easy on the grains (read whole wheat bread) when I'm not walking 5+ miles per day. No corn or corn products no white flour. Since fruit is pretty much off the table for me when I don't do high mileage days I take a quality multi vit, & a separate calcium supplement daily.

The hardest part about being diabetic is planning a varied healthy & affordable menu. I've been reading this website backpackingchief.com he has a page on menu planning (http://www.backpackingchef.com/backpacking-menu.html) which gave me ideas. Might be useful to you.
An example is dehydrated beans as in beans & rice (brown) or beans on a whole wheat tortilla. Another example is dehydrated sweet potato (high in fiber good choice for us diabetics).
His recipes use common ingredients like canned beans, canned mixed veggies.

I have read that mashed potatoes are a staple on the trail but for me a huge no no. I sub in instant brown rice which can be cooked with a garlic, beef or chicken bullion cube, or chili powder. Warm up a can of canned (foil packet) chicken dinner is done.

There is also diabetic friendly pasta brand name is Dreamfields which isn't like whole wheat or pasta made with flax. It's a bit pricey & requires 8 minutes of boil time so if your not cooking with wood that can be an issue.

I'm enjoying this thread as I so do love to eat well.

bfayer
02-06-2013, 14:12
No one has ever starved to death on the walk to Neal's Gap.

Pack the food you like to eat and what works for you and your kids. Once you are on the trail you will resupply with what's available. There is no reason to over think this. There will be times when resupply consists of nothing but Peanut M&Ms and a big bag of Combos.

I have seen hikers that completely enjoyed themselves eating nothing pb&j for weeks on end. I have seen others that would die without meat at every meal.

Just pack up your food, add a little more than you think you need, and go hike. Enjoy.

Train Wreck
02-06-2013, 16:29
No one has ever starved to death on the walk to Neal's Gap.

Pack the food you like to eat and what works for you and your kids. Once you are on the trail you will resupply with what's available. There is no reason to over think this. There will be times when resupply consists of nothing but Peanut M&Ms and a big bag of Combos.

I have seen hikers that completely enjoyed themselves eating nothing pb&j for weeks on end. I have seen others that would die without meat at every meal.

Just pack up your food, add a little more than you think you need, and go hike. Enjoy.

+1
There will be plenty of opportunities during the first few weeks to learn, adjust, and adapt. Earl Schaffer didn't exactly eat like a king on his Long Walk, either.

snickersbar
02-06-2013, 19:48
bfayer has a great point, too. This isn't the arctic tundra and resupply opportunities are abundant just a few miles off the AT (except in a very few sections). I just feel there is a strong link between nutrition and energy level and drive. Sure, I have my fancy dehydrator (it was actually very reasonable) and lots of food all nice and vacuum packed and ready to be dropped, but when hiker hunger hits me I'm going to start craving fats and sugars because that's just what happens. That's fine at 20+ mpd because that's what we're all going to be craving to satiate our huge appetites, so pizza and gallons of ice cream will be added to my menu, but I'll still take my vitamins and eat balanced, high carb, high protein, good fats during most of my meals.
I think you already know you literally have to dump all canned and jarred foods into baggies before you hit the trails- no offense intended - but there are no trash cans in the woods and the weight of store packaged foods alone and/or all that trash may bring about an abrupt end to your adventure.
Sure, some folks just walk out of their lives and hit the AT with no prep whatsoever, but you might think about taking your kids backpacking on a long weekend (at least) before you attempt the AT with them. You want to be smart and do everything you can to increase your chance of success. :-)

starbright
02-06-2013, 20:53
Planning to camp this weekend got storms coming thru so thought it would be a good time to test everything at once.
Everyone says peanut butter how do you carry it a jar or pks.

aaronthebugbuffet
02-06-2013, 21:12
No one has ever starved to death on the walk to Neal's Gap

I would like to add that I am not concerned about your food supply.
You'll figure it out along the way or you'll go home. It's pretty simple.

yellowsirocco
02-06-2013, 21:24
carry peanut butter in a jar. as long as it is plastic it doesn't weight much. the packets are expensive.

yellowsirocco
02-06-2013, 21:27
I think you already know you literally have to dump all canned and jarred foods into baggies before you hit the trails- no offense intended - but there are no trash cans in the woods and the weight of store packaged foods alone and/or all that trash may bring about an abrupt end to your adventure.
It is not the trash weight of that makes cans a bad idea, it is the weight of canned foods. The cans themselves are not very heavy. Canned foods are filled with water weight.

snickersbar
02-07-2013, 15:44
Sure, the trash weight may be minor, but trash starts to stink and gets on your gear, it takes up lots of room, and it's really tempting to just dump it and that will get you close to lynched!!! Dumping is a big no-no like sloppy camping and not burying your business far from water and the trail, it ruins everyone else's fun and is irresponsible.

You always have lots of options. Our Sam's store sells these wonderful 4 oz. peanut butter packages, probably 250 per box and not too expensive, but there's the trash issue again. yellosirocco is right, no worries about plastic jars just glass and cans aren't advisable.

It's a bit cavaier to just say, " Hey, start walking and you'll figure it all out," when you're out there on your own, but she has 2 kids and they can't go hungry, even for a day, like we can.
Again, just saying, the time you spend reading and chatting and preparing is well spent if you want to succeed- it's not obsessive, it's what winners do and you all know it. A big ethic on the trail is being supportive to each other and it should start now. :-)

Taking the kids out to test your gear is a great idea. Have a great time.

starbright
02-07-2013, 17:39
Thanks everybody for all the great advice

sfdoc
02-10-2013, 12:24
Starbright,
You've been lots of great advice. Your children aren't "kids" so they can carry their own weight in food. You all can share equipment loads (tent, cooking, etc.). As was suggested, you might try a weekend trip, sort of a shakedown. I've learned a lot from the suggestions you've received and will be using them in 2014 (I hope). Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

starbright
02-16-2013, 03:32
Tried out the food during our camping trip all worked out great. But I think its a little heavy.
Have removed the spam cans and replaced with packages but they seem to be heavier than the cans. Loved the tuna pks. The noodles worked out great the potatoes were a little lacking though.

Does anyone ever take real potatoes.

starbright
02-16-2013, 03:37
Forgot to ask what to eliminate for the weight to start off with. Would like to keep enough for 4 to 5 days I figure that in the beginning I will probably be slower than most. During our hike It was real slow starting out and then got pace going good until we stopped to rest then real slow start again.
So I figure I have to get the weight down a lot.

Thanks

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-16-2013, 04:09
Wet food is always going to be the heaviest, so start there. The meat products you are carrying are heavy for the calories they supply, you might want to reduce that.

Your plans to do long(ish) sections between resupplies will mean that you probably need to be a bit more restrictive in your food choices. Once the typical hiker appetite kicks in you will find that 5 days of food is very heavy unless you are only taking calorie dense foods. Many hikers (myself included) carry a small bottle of olive oil & add that to most meals to increase the calorie content. Oil has the most calories per ounce of any food.

kayak karl
02-16-2013, 07:54
Tried out the food during our camping trip all worked out great. But I think its a little heavy.
Have removed the spam cans and replaced with packages but they seem to be heavier than the cans. Loved the tuna pks. The noodles worked out great the potatoes were a little lacking though.

Does anyone ever take real potatoes.
real potatoes are hard to cook. check out other brands of potatoes or add seasoning. in about 2 weeks everything will taste good. spam can and pkts with same amount of spam weight the same. if you are slow going it is not the weight of the food that is the problem. even if you cut a pound to start out you will still be slow going. a pack drops 5-8 pounds in 4 days on a normal trip. look at cutting weight on gear with maybe a the new tent.
have you worked on your endurance. my legs are strong from work and i carry a 15 lb tool belt, but my endurance is pushed to its limit in the first day of a hike.

Northern Lights
02-16-2013, 09:10
Definately take spices for the potatoes, cayenne pepper, bacon bits, butter buds or that squeezable butter. Salt and pepper packets.

prain4u
02-18-2013, 03:31
Real Potatoes:

1) Pretty heavy in return for the comparatively few calories that they provide per ounce.

2) If you are boiling them---they will take a "long" time to cook. Thus lots of fuel--which means more weight and more cost.

3) If you want typical "mashed" potatoes--you will need to bring things similar to milk/butter. Again, more weight.

4) For a treat, I have carried potatoes with me while hiking (usually first day out from resupply). I (double) wrapped them in aluminum foil and put them in/near the coals of a wood fire for 30-45 minutes and had baked potatoes.

yellowsirocco
02-18-2013, 09:20
Sure, the trash weight may be minor, but trash starts to stink and gets on your gear, it takes up lots of room, and it's really tempting to just dump it and that will get you close to lynched!!! Dumping is a big no-no like sloppy camping and not burying your business far from water and the trail, it ruins everyone else's fun and is irresponsible.

The trash for packets starts to stink as well. And if you step on the cans then they compress flat just like a packet. It is the water saturated food weight that makes cans suck.

yellowsirocco
02-18-2013, 09:29
4) For a treat, I have carried potatoes with me while hiking (usually first day out from resupply).
The first day feast shouldn't be a treat, but an every time time thing. Get some sausages, vegetables, fresh bread, maybe a 500ml box of wine and you are good to go. Just because you are in the woods doesn't mean you have to immediately go into trail mode. On the first day back on the trail you will be energized with rest and town food, might as well put it to work and have a good dinner that night.

prain4u
02-18-2013, 12:51
The first day feast shouldn't be a treat, but an every time time thing. Get some sausages, vegetables, fresh bread, maybe a 500ml box of wine and you are good to go. Just because you are in the woods doesn't mean you have to immediately go into trail mode. On the first day back on the trail you will be energized with rest and town food, might as well put it to work and have a good dinner that night.

I don't disagree with you at all about the first meal out from resupply being a good time to have good (and fresh/heavier) food. My comment was aimed more at baked potatoes specifically. Unless you are already having a campfire anyway---baked potatoes are pretty labor intensive for what you get in return. For me, building a fire (gathering wood, waiting for it to be come coals, putting it out later) and then cooking the potatoes for 30-45 minutes is a lot of work just to get a baked potato. Hence, I consider it an occasional treat.

As you know, there are lot's of great foods that don't weigh significantly more than a couple of potatoes--and don't require 1.5 hours of your time messing with fires and extensive cooking times. A sub sandwich--with the condiments carried in individual packets and added at camp--is a good example. It can be ready in less than two minutes. It has bread, meat, cheese and veggies--and has more calories than a potato.

RED-DOG
02-18-2013, 12:59
No one is concerned about your food supply, everyone is concerned about their own at this point and time.

Old Hiker
02-18-2013, 12:59
Tortillas
Tuna packets- relish packets + mayo packets = tuna salad - was good
PB in a plastic jar - heavy, but dense calories
Cream cheese in the tubs
Mini or regular size bagels - do well in a pack - I used 4 minies + 1/4 tub cream cheese for a meal
Hot kool-aid for supper - warms you up, calories for night time
Snickers were OK, but I took King-sized MNilky-Way caramel only and Zero bars
$ store trail mix

canoe
02-18-2013, 17:00
If you have the time and desire to dehydrate some food there are some very good recipes at hammock forum under non gear videos. Alot of prep work but considering the weigh savings on a long hike and easy cooking...might be something to take a look at

Creek Dancer
02-18-2013, 17:36
If you don't care for the mashed potatoes, try the Hungry Jack Hashbrowns. They are dehydrated and they come in a small box into which you pour water to hydrate the potoatoes. Pour a little bit of oil into the bottom of your pot, and cook up your potatoes. Use low heat because they will scortch if you aren't careful. They are really good with some bacon bits (the real ones). Have a great hike.

starbright
02-18-2013, 22:31
Thanks Everyone

Snickelfritz
02-23-2013, 11:08
Fruits and vegetables are where vitamins and minerals originate from. One should eat as many as possible.
love and light!!
dr.c

Stofko
02-24-2013, 16:54
I was day hiking last year and met up with a thru hiker thatwas committed to walking all of the trail. The group he was hiking with cameacross some trail magic which supplied them with showers and food but droppedthem off ahead of where they gotten off the trail. Long story short I gave hima ride back so he could hike the two miles that he missed and we stop at a littlestore to pick up some food before setting off. As we walked around he picked up a bear clawand I heard him say. “This will get me up over that hill.” It’s just that simple.
This was the just shy of the halfway point on the trail andhe had already lost 80lbs.