PDA

View Full Version : New Interior Dept Secretary nominated - REI chief

Praha4
02-06-2013, 10:05
from today's news headlines:

Obama to nominate outdoor and recreational retailer REI chief Sally Jewel for the new Interior Secretary.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/obama-to-nominate-rei-chief-sally-jewell-for-interior-secretary-87250.html?hp=bn

only sharing here because the National Parks Service falls under the Interior Dept.

leaftye
02-06-2013, 10:09
That's intriguing.

Coffee Rules!
02-06-2013, 10:16
**Pops popcorn and sits back waiting for the debate to start**

tds1195
02-06-2013, 11:02
Very interesting....didn't see that coming!

Lyle
02-06-2013, 12:52
Don't know much about her really, but it could be good. Reserving judgement, but very hopeful.

WingedMonkey
02-06-2013, 13:08
I better cancel my REI membership. :sun

House Republican subcommittee chairman expressed concern about REI's ties to environmental groups with "radical political agendas."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/obama-to-nominate-rei-chief-sally-jewell-for-interior-secretary-87250.html#ixzz2K8izPuSc

Another Kevin
02-06-2013, 15:29
House Republican subcommittee chairman expressed concern about REI's ties to environmental groups with "radical political agendas"

Well, d'oh! REI is one of those communist co-ops, not an honest American corporation! It's subversive to have the customers own the store.

Old Boots
02-06-2013, 16:41
Who cares what a House sub-committee chair thinks. She is confirmed by the Senate.

WingedMonkey
02-06-2013, 17:18
Who cares what a House sub-committee chair thinks. She is confirmed by the Senate.

I suppose that's why he said he would lobby his states two senators, Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee of Utah.

Praha4
02-06-2013, 17:58
maybe the gift shops at the National Parks will be better stocked with REI gear/clothing in the future

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2013, 20:56
Thanks for posting, I almost missed that bit of news. To echo the comments made above, I'm a bit surprised and cautiously optimistic.

JAK
02-06-2013, 21:05
Politics is always broiled in contra verses because them polytishuns figger truth is even stranger than friction.

atmilkman
02-06-2013, 21:19
What exactly are the "pluses" that could come about from this in regards to the hiking community?

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2013, 21:22
What exactly are the "pluses" that could come about from this in regards to the hiking community?

Lifetime satisfaction guarantee on national park passes?

Admittedly I don't know much about her, but at the very least I would like to think that her experience with REI means that she has a mindset that understands the benefits that the general public gets from having access to open space as well as the potential economic impact of outdoor recreation.

Majortrauma
02-06-2013, 21:32
**Pops popcorn and sits back waiting for the debate to start**
Yea, what Coffee Rules said. This is going to be interesting especially if she mandates that all hikers wear blaze orange year round, prohibits cellphones and guns and prohibits commando kilt wearers. What did I forget?

SassyWindsor
02-06-2013, 21:36
If you want a "special interest group" type person overseeing the US Interior, you just got one.

Dogwood
02-06-2013, 21:45
From what I know about her and where I've seen her take REI as a biz I would give her a B+/A- as CEO. Although, steering a biz such as REI has similarities with being Secretary of the Interior they are definitely not the same when playing politics are factored into the leadership game. I want to stay away from discussing politics but, perhaps, President Obama's Administration thought they could score some pts with environmental groups/votes with this consideration for nomination.

As Sarcasm the elf says I hope this is the case too: "but at the very least I would like to think that her experience with REI means that she has a mindset that understands the benefits that the general public gets from having access to open space as well as the potential economic impact of outdoor recreation."

Dogwood
02-06-2013, 21:56
I liked that article. I liked what I heard. Don't know all the behind closed doors political consequences possibly occurring but I like her back round and even though I don't agree with much of the current administration's handling of many issues I like the President's nomination.

Although some of this may be political smoke, President Obama scored pts with me when he said, "Jewell is a strong and capable leader,” saying she’s “an expert on the energy and climate issues that are going to shape our future. … She knows the link between conservation and good jobs.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/obama-to-nominate-rei-chief-sally-jewell-for-interior-secretary-87250.html#ixzz2KAqYbYGN

rickb
02-06-2013, 21:58
Wiki says that she climbed the highest mountain in Antartica.

That's good enough for me.

Alligator
02-06-2013, 22:02
This is just one of several political appointments that affects the AT, insofar that NPS falls under Interior. This isn't the type of thread that has a clear cut impact that warrants exception to the no politics rule. We aren't going to examine every appointment that comes along, particularly since confirmation hearings haven't even started. I left it open today mainly due to the REI angle but really, vetting of possible appointees is likely to lead to partisan rancor so this is being closed.

It is interesting to see a cabinet post offered to an outdoor gear company employee.