PDA

View Full Version : I Witnessed A First

Lone Wolf
06-09-2005, 13:37
Baltimore Jack did a blue-blaze. I dropped him off on Whitetop to slack back into Damascus. When he got to the big trestle on the Creeper Trail, which is part of the AT, he continued on the Creeper instead of taking the WHITE blazes up the mountain. I met him 5 miles out of town at a parking area by the Creeper, fed him a few beers, then he continued on into town on the Creeper on my bicycle. The white blaze on his shirt is starting to bleed blue. He also took an un-planned 0 yesterday. His pack was packed, my tailgate was open and I was ready to give him a ride when he said, "*** it! I'm stayin another day." Today I took him back to Whitetop where he continued north with a 50-60 lb. pack.

Footslogger
06-09-2005, 13:54
I woulda never thunked it ...

Good for him !!

'Slogger

chomp
06-09-2005, 16:08
bout time.

TJ aka Teej
06-09-2005, 17:27
If BaltimoreJack only followed the white blazes he'd never be able walk around Hanover without leaving town.

TOW
06-09-2005, 17:41
Baltimore Jack did a blue-blaze. I dropped him off on Whitetop to slack back into Damascus. When he got to the big trestle on the Creeper Trail, which is part of the AT, he continued on the Creeper instead of taking the WHITE blazes up the mountain. I met him 5 miles out of town at a parking area by the Creeper, fed him a few beers, then he continued on into town on the Creeper on my bicycle. The white blaze on his shirt is starting to bleed blue. He also took an un-planned 0 yesterday. His pack was packed, my tailgate was open and I was ready to give him a ride when he said, "*** it! I'm stayin another day." Today I took him back to Whitetop where he continued north with a 50-60 lb. pack.sounds like the ole alcohol beginnig to take over his thinking? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm020YYUS)

Blister
06-09-2005, 18:53
I wouldn't say it was the first time, or perhaps the first official time!

Tha Wookie
06-09-2005, 18:59
Next thing you know he'll be contra dancing with Warren....:eek:

Sly
06-09-2005, 18:59
Today I took him back to Whitetop where he continued north with a 50-60 lb. pack.

Someone needs to "tuckerize" Jack's pack. That's insane, unless he happened to be carrying a case of beer! ;)

Dances with Mice
06-09-2005, 20:36
....He also took an un-planned 0 yesterday. ....

It may have been unscheduled, but I'll bet it was all part of his plan.

wacocelt
06-09-2005, 21:16
I happen to enjoy beer, blue blazing AND contra dancing!

Lone Wolf
06-09-2005, 21:21
You're sick Chris. Very ***ing sick! :cool:

Moxie00
06-09-2005, 21:56
Baltimore Jack has EARNED the right to do any damnn thing he wants to. The Old Phart witnessed Jacks first thru and told me how he would walk around a tree to the right, then go back and walk around the same tree to the left just to make sure he did the entire trail and wasn't "cheating" by going around a tree on a side other than the actual trail took. As a trail maintainer I can tell you just last week I moved the trail 5 or 10 feet east or west in several places just to get away from wet spots or roots of fallen trees. The trail changes every day somewhere on it's 2170+/- miles and Jack has tried to be true to it every time he has hiked it. Have you ever seen what he carries in that pack? I know he smokes every single camel and drinks every drop of that liquid he carries and he has as heavy a tent as any hiker out there. Speaking of firsts, I actually saw Lone Wolf drink water on Bigelow but that was just to hold him until he got to The Carabasset Brewery at the base of Sugarloaf about 5 miles ahead.
:jump :welcome To Maine, where the State bird is the Blackfly.

Lone Wolf
06-09-2005, 22:02
I plead the 5th. Jack drinks it. :D

fiddlehead
06-09-2005, 23:02
So Lone Wolf, you seem to hang out in that parking lot quite a bit it seems.
Once hiked, the Creeper trail is found to be a whole lot more scenic, historical, action packed, picturesque and more pleasant walk out of town than the AcTual trail. (white)
So, i'm glad to see Jack enjoying the better things in life. I mean, why we really out there? "Go Creeper Trail"

http://www.quotecha.com/images/open_quote_Spiritual.gifAn open mind is the mind that sees true beauty in the world. A close mind is the mind that shuts away life.http://www.quotecha.com/images/close_quote_Spiritual.gif
-Diana Jauregui (http://www.quotecha.com/search.php?query=Diana Jauregui&searchtype=author)

attroll
06-10-2005, 00:13
I would pay good money to see this happen.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2005, 07:53
That parking lot is where I do a lot of my running out of, fiddlehead. That day in fact I parked, ran 5 miles home, got my bike and rode back up and met Jack. Lotsa trails lead out of that lot.

Mags
06-10-2005, 10:28

Egads...that brought up the funniest mental image... :)

Jaybird
06-10-2005, 10:57
Baltimore Jack did a blue-blaze. I dropped him off on Whitetop to slack back into Damascus. When he got to the big trestle on the Creeper Trail, which is part of the AT, he continued on the Creeper instead of taking the WHITE blazes up the mountain. I met him 5 miles out of town at a parking area by the Creeper, fed him a few beers, then he continued on into town on the Creeper on my bicycle. The white blaze on his shirt is starting to bleed blue. He also took an un-planned 0 yesterday. His pack was packed, my tailgate was open and I was ready to give him a ride when he said, "*** it! I'm stayin another day." Today I took him back to Whitetop where he continued north with a 50-60 lb. pack.

Go, JACK, GO! :D

fiddlehead
06-11-2005, 00:05
That parking lot is where I do a lot of my running out of, fiddlehead. That day in fact I parked, ran 5 miles home, got my bike and rode back up and met Jack. Lotsa trails lead out of that lot.

It is a beutiful area for sure!

I was just remembering the time Pieps, Shirt, and I saw you there on our triplecrown hike. fh

neo
06-11-2005, 00:11
jack is alright in my book,he even has a jetboil:cool: neo
http://www.jetboil.com/

Jack Tarlin
07-25-2005, 19:24
Dunoo how I missed this thread, but Wolf is absolutely correct, I was a blue-blazing fool this year and I enjoyed every bit if it. The Creeper Trail is a whole lota fun and everyone should check it out sometime, either on foot or on a bike. The wonderful thing about not being committed to thru-hiking is that you can throw your "schedule" away....you have the freedom to go where you want, when you want, as fast as you want. I took more "zero days" in the middle of nowhere this year than I have in the past five, I saw side trails, viewpoints, and waterfalls I'd never seen, and all sorts of places I've managed to miss these past ten years, mainly because I was always "on schedule" or afraid to deviate from the A.T. or afraid I'd fall behind my friends.

If one wants to do the Trail in its entirety without deviating a bit from the A.T., well I think that's great. I applaud you. If you wanna do the Trail in its entirety, but also take the time to check out side trails and blue-blazes in addition to following the white ones, well that's great too. And if you wanna go wherever he day takes you, and take blue blazes, side trails, canoe trips, or whatever, well that's fine too. It's YOUR trip, and everyone should do it as they see fit. You wanna hike the whole trail and not skip anything? Fine. Wanna go wherever you want and skip what you want? That's fine, too. Just be honest about what you're doing and where you've been; do what YOU want to do, and don't worry about what others think.....it's YOUR trip.

Thanx to Wolf and some other great folks, I got to see all sorts of new places this year, and a lot of them were NOT on the A.T.

Hike where you like, like where you hike, it's all good.

SGT Rock
07-25-2005, 19:34
That (well close to it) has been my motto for years. Glad your having fun Jack!:sun

Sly
07-25-2005, 20:07
The wonderful thing about not being committed to thru-hiking is that you can throw your "schedule" away....you have the freedom to go where you want, when you want, as fast as you want....

Where's the glossary again? I guess I'm still confused about the definitions and differences in "thru-hiking" and becoming a 2000-miler.

Maybe it's because I've hiked the western trails where purity isn't so much an issue I can't get it straight.

Youngblood
07-25-2005, 21:52
Where's the glossary again? I guess I'm still confused about the definitions and differences in "thru-hiking" and becoming a 2000-miler.

Maybe it's because I've hiked the western trails where purity isn't so much an issue I can't get it straight.

Excerpts from “The ALDHA Appalachian Trail Glossary”
Note: This selective glossary of key A.T. hiking terms is only
the tip of the iceberg. Hiker jargon is noted in italics. The full
text can be found at <www.aldha.org>.

2,000-miler—A hiker who has hiked the entire length of the
Appalachian Trail.
Thru-hiker—On the A.T., a hiker who is hiking from Maine
to Georgia or Georgia to Maine in one trip or, generally accepted,
a person who has done same.

Mountain Dew
07-26-2005, 20:28
I remember when I saw young Skywalker(Vader) turn to the dark side on the big screen. A dark day for the purist has the dark side struck. Sith Lord Wolf has struck a powerful blow to the force. More Sith Blue Blazers are bound to come and tempt young Jedi-purist to the dark side. Prepare our hearts, minds, and souls we must. Now where did i place my Leki-Saber ? :-?

Ridge
07-27-2005, 00:46
I hope Jack doesn't become the new "Whipping-Post", the absence of Warren Doyle from WB seems to have caused a "Whipping-Post" void of sorts. Just an observation of mine.

Lilred
07-27-2005, 10:02
I hope Jack doesn't become the new "Whipping-Post", the absence of Warren Doyle from WB seems to have caused a "Whipping-Post" void of sorts. Just an observation of mine.

You've got to be kidding right?

Footslogger
07-27-2005, 11:23
I hope Jack doesn't become the new "Whipping-Post", the absence of Warren Doyle from WB seems to have caused a "Whipping-Post" void of sorts. Just an observation of mine.================================
Speaking of Warren Doyle ...my wife (BadAss Turtle) ran into him the other day on the AT headed into Dalton. Guess he's doing some sections with his daughter.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 11:32
Actually Warren is doing his every-5-year group hike.

A-Train
07-27-2005, 11:33
================================
Speaking of Warren Doyle ...my wife (BadAss Turtle) ran into him the other day on the AT headed into Dalton. Guess he's doing some sections with his daughter.

'Slogger

LOL!! That's not his daughter, thats his wife Terry! I didn't meet them, however I did spend the night with his "expedition" team in NJ a couple weeks ago. Warren's entries in the registers have achieved a certain sort of status and popularity with which the current group of thru-hikers seem to love to make fun of, attack and hate. He is hiking the whole trail it seems, hiking southbound, but moving north, and providing vehicle support for his pupils.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 11:35
Typical of elitist thru-hikers to run thier pieholes about other folks way of hiking.

Footslogger
07-27-2005, 11:43
[QUOTE=A-Train]LOL!! That's not his daughter, thats his wife Terry!
=============================
Oooopsss ...my bad. Guess she must be pretty young (all things being relative).

'Slogger

Sly
07-27-2005, 11:58
Typical of elitist thru-hikers to run thier pieholes about other folks way of hiking.

LoL... Yeah it is.

I remember well into Maine where the register entries were still talking about blue blaze "cheaters" and that it wasn't too late to repent! I kid you not.

Hey, LW what are your thoughts about slackpacking and Leki pole users? ;)

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 11:59
I adore both! :sun

Sly
07-27-2005, 12:06
I adore both! :sun

LOL... Thanks for the laugh, I nearly spit coffee all over my keyboard! :)

Footslogger
07-27-2005, 12:22
...now, if I could just figure out a way to slackpack south on the CDT to rendesvous with Blister and Chomp this weekend. But oh yeah, this is Wyoming and there ain't no slackpacking in Wyoming. There are a lot of Leki poles though.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2005, 13:13
Actually, Wolf, having read dozens of Warren's register entries this year (and the subsequent comments they frequently receive), this isn't a matter of people taking issue with his method of hiking. What elicits most of the comments from other folks is his incessant need to tell people how much he's hiked, how often, even down to the last mile. He seems to be living under the amusing delusion that there are actually people out there who care about such things. (Of course, when engaged in this sort of boasting, he never mentions that most of these miles were achieved with car support and without the onerous burden of a backpack, but that's neither here nor there).

I can think of no other well-known hiker who insists on telling strangers their total accumulated mileage virtually every time he makes a register entry. It appears that most other hikers, far from being impressed at this braggadocio, quite correctly realize that this sort of crowing reflects badly on the poster and that in truth, most other hikers couldn't give a rat's ass.

So this isn't about elite thru-hikers criticizing anyone's hiking style. It is instead, about the re-action most folks have to relentless self-promotion. This is a turn-off for other hikers, and the dozens of register comments that accompany most of Warren's entries attest to this.

SGT Rock
07-27-2005, 13:20
SGT Rock - Total Trail Mile = Never Enough.

(My Shameless Self Promotion):datz

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 13:22
If I spent as many years, hiked as many miles on the AT as Warren has I'd boast a litte too. Your public profile on WB lists all your hiking. What's the difference? Why do most thru-hikers feel the need to to registers with trail name followed by GAtoME or MEtoGA? Everyone has an ego.

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2005, 13:54
The difference is very clear Wolf: As you say, this information is in my Public Profile. It also says I'm interested in helping prospective thru-hikers with questions and problems. And it says I'm interested in film, the Middle Ages, and decent bourbon. That's what a Public Profile is for, Wolf, so you can tell people whatever you wish them to know about you or what you feel is pertinent and important. If I'm going to spend significant time advising people or answering their questions about thru-hiking the A.T., then I think a few words about my own hiking history is germane to the discussion. It helps people decide if I'm qualified to answer their questions. As I said above, that's what a "Public Profile" is for. But it'd never occur to me to include this information every time I sign a logbook on the Trail.

The difference, Wolf, is that while Trail registers are a way for hikers to share and exchange information, most folks feel that detailing your hiking resume practically every time you sign your name is simply bad form. Do you feel the need to constantly tell folks how many miles you've hiked over the years? Hell, you've probably got over 2,000 trail miles in Damascus alone. But you don't feel the need to go crowing about this, either in registers or elsewhere.

You say that if you had his years or mileage, then you'd boast, too. No, I don't think you would. Because I think you know all too well how it'd look, plus it isn't your style. I've read scores of your register entries. I can't recall you ONCE ever providing a detailed history of your hiking and mileage, probably because you don't feel the need to shove this data in people's faces, and partly because you know that most folks could care less about it.

In any case, I DON'T think you'd boast about it at all. And neither would 99% of other hikers. And that's entirely my point. Most hikers don't feel the need to impress strangers by bragging about their accomplishments; they're secure enough with themselves that they don't feel the need to share this sort of information at every conceivable opportunity. Most hikers don't do this, mainly because they don't feel the constant need to do so, as well as having enough common sense to realize how buffoonish it'd make them look.

You're correct; everyone has an ego. But it's apparent that some of them are supersized.

Mountain Dew
07-27-2005, 14:38
Footslogger, don't feel bad as I've heard numerous people ask if that was his granddaughter. You were a little closer to correct than they were.

A-Train, "Warren's entries in the registers have achieved a certain sort of status and popularity with which the current group of thru-hikers seem to love to make fun of, attack and hate." --- I'm only going to correct one thing you said here A-train. EVERY years thru-hikers make fun of, attack, and hate his register entries. You and I both thru-hiked in 2003 and I certainly remember his entries and how people laughed at him for what he would say in them. You don't remember his entries ? Rick the Lone Wolf was the only person that year who got laughed at/hated more than Warren. Here are three entries I remember... ( Warren Doyle 27,000 miles on the A.T. and counting ) (Warren Doyle...The milage leader of the A.T. ) ...( Warren Doyle... Expedition leader ) Usually hikers would change the wording/replace words in order to make it say something funny or vulgar.

His group of "Doylies" have rubbed people the wrong way as they have hiked this year as well with their rude behavior and lack of manners. They left Kincora Hostel with a huge mess in the kitchen and when asked to clean it up they responed, " oh we are on Warrens schedule ...we don't have the time for that sort of thing"... Warren supposedly didn't know about that incident and when he was told (in Port Clinton) he said that he would call Kincora asap. That was over a month ago and he has yet to call to try to make things right. Needless to say Warren and his groups are now banned from the best hostel on the trail. I've heard other hikers who've said that when they talked to these "Doylies" they all had Warrens Elitist attitude and were very rude. In Duncannon he walked into the bar with his walking day pack at 10:00pm one night and wanted to use the computer, but Sue Grace was singing and was set up infront of the computer so he was told no by the owners. His facial expressions and pouting were that of " I'm a trail legend ....you mean I can't use the computer ? ".... Several hikers got a good laugh from that as well.

So you see.... The "whipping post" might not be here on WB to entertain the masses, BUT he's doing a fine job of it on the trail. Goodtimes for all...

rickb
07-27-2005, 16:17
"...he never mentions that most of these miles were achieved with car support and without the onerous burden of a backpack..."

But it is seldom overlooked in any Whiteblaze thread mentioning Warren Doyle.

I think the official conversion rate is 1 pack mile = 2 packless miles.

kyhipo
07-27-2005, 16:42
well i think its great that baltimore jack experienced some blue blazing and well i have to admit i have made many mistakes. The last few yrs of hiking have been excellent due to my choices of quiting bad habits,and i remember Lone wolf yrs ago talking to me about blue blazing i really didnt have a clue but thrue the yrs i have done just that everywhere from out west to the AT and the word thru hiking i remember L wolf telling me a quote "I aint thru hiking " man are we ever done hiking anyway I think my next Thru hike will be the IAT :dance ky

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2005, 17:10
Actually, Rick, it was frequently overlooked.... by Mr. Doyle himself. In over 200 posts here, he never much mentioned it. But the fact is, this is significant. If he's going to make such a to-do about the number of his hikes or his accumulated mileage, and he does this incessantly, it's more than a little dis-ingenuous of him to avoid mentioning that he's more of a recreational walker than he is a backpacker. People can hike the Trail any damned way they please, and I respect their right to do so, but but it's certainly a lot easier if you're burdened down with nothing more than a water bottle and an orange.

People who insist on boasting about their accomplishments and achievements leave themselves open to discussion on how those accomplishments were achieved.

Tha Wookie
07-27-2005, 17:21
People who insist on boasting about their accomplishments and achievements leave themselves open to discussion on how those accomplishments were achieved.
...and people who continually badmouth other hikers on the internet leave themselves open to everyone knowing how intensely jealous they are.

Don't worry Jack... you might catch up to him one day!

TJ aka Teej
07-27-2005, 17:27
The Doyle register entry that stood out for me was at Abol Bridge last year or the year before where he wrote that he was working on his "11th and 12th AT Section Hike and 14th AT Thru Hike". (the exact numbers haven't stayed with me, just the fact that somehow in Doyle Math hiking the same few miles counted toward the totals of three different hikes...) I heard from a Ridgerunner at Baxter the Doylies were expected again this season, an event the Rangers are apparently looking forward to.

The Solemates
07-27-2005, 17:38
...and people who continually badmouth other hikers on the internet

..how true. but not just for jack...

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2005, 18:45
You know, Wook, your last comment was particularly witless, even for you, and really betrays how poorly you know me.

I have no interest whatsoever in "catching up" to Mr. Doyle, and in point of fact, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. To "catch up" to him would be to acknowledge that he's somehow ahead or above me in some regard, and I'm not sure I believe this is the case. If you're referring to the number of his complete A.T. hikes, I assure you I have absolutely no interest in "catching up" to him....as you well know, I didn't thru-hike last year, I made no attempt to do so this year, and almost certainly won't next year. So if I'm somehow pathologically obsessed with "catching up" to him, I don't seem to be making much of an effort at it, hmmmm? In fact, one might actually make the reasonable assumption that I've found other ways to occupy my time, and that "catching up" to Mr. Doyle ain't exactly a high priority.

In short, Wook, whatever my feelings might be about Mr. Doyle, you can be sure jealousy has nothing to do with it. And as for continually bad-mouthing others, a quick look at my most recent posts here includes one letter asking folks for help and suggestions on improving next year's Companion; a letter to some Texas folks who are planning a thru-hike; and a heartfelt thank-you note to Weary. Gee, Wook, you're right, I guess all I ever do here is bad-mouth people. Thanx for pointing this out. What ever would we do without you?

Tha Wookie
07-27-2005, 19:10
In fact, one might actually make the reasonable assumption that I've found other ways to occupy my time, and that "catching up" to Mr. Doyle ain't exactly a high priority.

Instead it's just badmouthing him on the net...

I like you Jack, I really do. I really enjoyed meeting you on the trail and at TD's. I hope to meet you again and have a drink or something, shoot the shiznit. And I know you don't like Warren. Everyone who reads WB or TF's at least once a month knows that. That's fine. But the public vendetta and mud-slinging thing does no one any good, especially you. Thankfully, you're right: your posts are usually full of positive contributions.

However quirky either of you are, you both have a place in my heart.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 19:29
I like both Warren and Jack. I want to meet you too Wook. I bet you're a good mofo also.

neo
07-27-2005, 19:47
I like both Warren and Jack. I want to meet you too Wook. I bet you're a good mofo also.
i dont think i would like the wook if we meet,:cool: neo

SGT Rock
07-27-2005, 19:48
Bahh, the internet lets everyone seem like an ass at one time or another. Almost everyone I have meet is a good guy in person.

Alligator
07-27-2005, 20:09
Three dimensional objects examined through a two dimensional medium.

Tha Wookie
07-27-2005, 20:40
Three dimensional objects examined through a two dimensional medium.
I would say at least 4 dimensions... height, width, depth, and ego.

jmaclennan
07-27-2005, 21:28
People are funny. Who cares? I got laid roughly once every twenty miles on my thru. You don't hear me bragging about it. Oops! It's probably why Jack said to me one day, "I knew you were pu**ying it all the way from Georgia." Although it could've been that shelter loop I cut in PA.

Sly
07-27-2005, 21:40
I got laid roughly once every twenty miles on my thru.

Boy toy or do you just like rough sex? :rolleyes:

Heater
07-27-2005, 22:55
Boy toy or do you just like rough sex? :rolleyes:
Rosie Palm and her five skinney sisters would be my guess! :rolleyes:

Youngblood
07-28-2005, 12:21
Who is this "Jack" person?

jmaclennan
07-28-2005, 13:11
Boy toy or do you just like rough sex?

Too funny! I guess I could've been interpreted that way. I should have said "about once every twenty miles." And, no, it was not manual... it was your wife/my girlfriend. :banana

p.s. Jack is a well known hiker; aka Baltimore Jack, aka Larry Tarlin.

Ridge
07-29-2005, 02:20
I met Mr Doyle, with my husband, at Trail Days several years ago. He was doing a slide show and talk at a church somewhere in Damascus. My husband has met Mr Doyle several times and, if asked, tells people he's an eccentric hiker who just "bumped his noggin on the way to Katahdin". Sounds like lyrics to a hiker song to me.

Mountain Dew
07-30-2005, 21:20
Grey Matter's Wife/ then girlfriend was indeed making his thru-hike in 2003 an *exciting experience. Yeah we were all jealous of him. OK..well some of us still are. If you have seen her ( Lady Bug ) you'd understand why as well.

MAIRNTTT.....................

trailangelmary
07-31-2005, 04:30
First, You go Jack. Blue blazing has worked for you this year and resulted in some great hiking. I was honored and very glad to have spent some time with you again this year. Plus, I finally got to eat some of that famous Lasagna!
Second, I have yet to meet Warren Doyle, but every picture I see of him he appears to be very smug.
Third, I am not a hiker but it seems to me that car hiking does not qualify somehow as a thru-hike. Seeing Warren with a day pack and many hundreds of hikers with full packs coming through Duncannon is just not the same.
Fourth, Maybe I should start to accumulate my miles filling my coolers. Maybe I can qualify for a 2000 miler someday! :rolleyes: LOL

Lone Wolf
07-31-2005, 09:04
You shouldn't judge Warren by a photo or what people who loathe Warren say about him. He's been in the "trail community" a helluva lot longer than anyone on Whiteblaze.

trailangelmary
07-31-2005, 11:27
Sorry, Lone Wolf. :o I have not judged him or formed an opinion. I was just stating how he appeared.
I was looking through some old stuff putting an AT scrapbook together. Thanks for the note you left on my cooler. Even though I didn't meet you till several years later, you left a good impression!

Jack Tarlin
08-01-2005, 11:50
Wolf, what does merely being around the Trail community for so long have to do with anything?

Ted Kennedy has served longer in the U.S. Senate than anyone in our history (excepting Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd); do you therefore think that he is beyond reproach or criticism because of this longevity? Do you have great respect and admiration for Kennedy and his reputation because he's been in the Senate "community" since November of '62? I rather doubt it.

Longevity ain't everything.

Tha Wookie
08-01-2005, 12:14
Wolf, what does merely being around the Trail community for so long have to do with anything?

Ted Kennedy has served longer in the U.S. Senate than anyone in our history (excepting Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd); do you therefore think that he is beyond reproach or criticism because of this longevity? Do you have great respect and admiration for Kennedy and his reputation because he's been in the Senate "community" since November of '62? I rather doubt it.

Longevity ain't everything.
Oh GAWD!!!!!:-?

Win one for the Gipper, Wolf!

lol

smokymtnsteve
08-01-2005, 22:30
Come to Alaska and run with us dogs..

have a real wild wilderness adventure ;)

justusryans
08-02-2005, 00:10
Lived in Kodiak and Dutch Harbor 9 years. Fished on the Royal Baron and the Cylde. Also used to work for "Alaska Pacific Seafoods" Got tired of the rain and missed thunderstorms. But yea, I'll be back...

Mountain Dew
08-02-2005, 00:55
LW, " He's been in the "trail community" a helluva lot longer than anyone on Whiteblaze." ....That's not even accurate. Plus...i'm sure he'd tell us over and over if he was.

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2005, 20:21
Lived in Kodiak and Dutch Harbor 9 years. Fished on the Royal Baron and the Cylde. Also used to work for "Alaska Pacific Seafoods" Got tired of the rain and missed thunderstorms. But yea, I'll be back...

well I just got an offer for a new gig 20 miles north of Fairbanks, @ Two Rivers ,AK out Chena Hot Springs road..so I'll be saying good-bye to my Denali view cabin next week and be moving into a YURT for this winter. course this yurt has oil heat and a wireless internet connection, and is located right under some of the best Northern Lights viewing in the world,

maybe U should consider moving into the interior ,,less rain and we do get some thunderstorms...

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2005, 20:23
LW, " He's been in the "trail community" a helluva lot longer than anyone on Whiteblaze." ....That's not even accurate. Plus...i'm sure he'd tell us over and over if he was.

U is jist a chile Mtn dew...shot I wuz doing trail work on the AT while U wuz still a wearing diapers

Mountain Dew
08-02-2005, 20:30
SmokeyMtnSteve.....And i'm glad you were doing trail work then. Thanks. I just got done doing 5 days with the Konnarock Crew just south of Kincora this past weekend. We had a blast. Everybody got along and I even showed them where a really cool falls was that we took a hiker bath at. Elk Park Falls wasn't too far away so we went and hung out for an hour or so.

What did you say about oil heat and wireless internet connection ? Man the temptation. A long haired, pot smoking, liberal, hippie and a shaved head, soon to be cop, conservative sharing a YURT in Alaska. Sounds like a cheap saturday evening movie on cable. :datz

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2005, 21:35
and all @ -20 F below Zero...then the dogs git to singing @ the Northern Lights and the shaved head conservative cop to be finally sees the Northern lights! :welcome

U know the folks in Nenana, AK fired thier ENTIRE police department..no more cops in Nenana,,,you have one guess what the major cash producing activity is in the Nenana area?

Lone Wolf
08-02-2005, 21:37
Moonshine?

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2005, 21:39
Moonshine?

No but thanks for playing :p

SGT Rock
08-02-2005, 21:43
I would imagine it must be Steves favorite Herb since he brought it up.

Lone Wolf
08-02-2005, 21:45
Parsley, sage, rosemary or thyme? Enquiring minds want to know.

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2005, 21:45
I would imagine it must be Steves favorite Herb since he brought it up.

and the winner is :clap

SGT Rock
08-02-2005, 21:49
Steven, they are ripping you off sir. It is really Oregano.:D

justusryans
08-02-2005, 22:35
maybe U should consider moving into the interior ,,less rain and we do get some thunderstorms...I've considered it but not sure what I'd do for spare cash, Maybe get in my own cash crop:rolleyes: Not there's a thought!

Mountain Dew
08-03-2005, 00:03
Growing it indoors are they Steve ? Something tells me there is more to this story. Yeah it would be cool to see the northern lights for once in my life. someday someday...

Lugnut
08-03-2005, 00:18
Probably couldn't grow anything other than mold in a yurt. ;)

smokymtnsteve
08-03-2005, 20:44
I've considered it but not sure what I'd do for spare cash, Maybe get in my own cash crop:rolleyes: Not there's a thought!

depends on what U would like to do for the cash, there is LOTS of seasonal work in the interior and almost anytype of employment one could want around Fairbanks, good paying remote village jobs but seasonal in nature,

jut as soon as the new Gas pipelind construction starts this will be another BOOM era. also there is going to be Methane gas wells drilled here in Healy.

justusryans
08-03-2005, 21:53
I don't mind working seasonal. And the more remote the better. I have a thru-hike planned in 06 but I'm serious about moving back. Maybe 07?

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2005, 17:06
Lots of good drving jobs here in the interior, if one has a commercial drivers license, a good side dump operator Class A combination can earn around $20-$25 an hour with as many hours (overtime) as you can legally handle

justusryans
08-07-2005, 18:32
Lots of good drving jobs here in the interior, if one has a commercial drivers license, a good side dump operator Class A combination can earn around $20-$25 an hour with as many hours (overtime) as you can legally handle
I don't have a CDL but will have to check into it. I have a buddy whose a owner/operator so maybe he can let me know what to expect. I appreciate the advice. Thanks

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2005, 18:38
A CDL is pretty easy to get,,,there are some free classes in fairbanks if you meet the residency requriements and income levels.

to be a resident of AK all U have to do is step off the palce and say in a loud clear voice, I'm now an AK resident and I INTEND to stay.

at this point you qualify for manu programs including the 1200 minute a month cell phone for ONE dollar if you meet income guidelines, unemployment insurance is exteremly easy and generous here also.

with the increase in the price of oil the PFD is on the rise.

justusryans
08-07-2005, 19:26
OOOh, I miss the PFD! I talked to my wife about it already and she is all for it. So when we get the logistics worked out (visitation) then we'll be there. I'm looking forward to trying the interior. I appreciate the good word. thanks, Is that Matanuska green still as good as I remember?

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2005, 19:29
yep...and the Northern Lights are beautiful too ;)

SGT Rock
08-07-2005, 19:33
So Steve, when I retire and get some time, you got an extra few square inches of floor space for me to come visit? I'll bring the pork and the whiskey ;)

Lone Wolf
08-07-2005, 19:35
You mean the pot and whiskey. Nope he don't drink whiskey. Bring pot and veggies. :D

SGT Rock
08-07-2005, 19:37
Well the pork and the Whiskey is for me. Maybe I can get him liquored up with the demon alcohol and get him to become a gun toting right wing carnivore again.

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2005, 19:43
you guys is always welcome to stay in my igloo ..my new "job' that I am starting this Thursday will have me living in a YURT. It is a 20 foot diameter..so YAH come up anytime...

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2005, 19:44
You mean the pot and whiskey. Nope he don't drink whiskey. Bring pot and veggies. :D

no need to bring eithier,,,as there is plenty of both already here,

but do bring veggies..fresh veggies are expensive here and not of the best quailty.

SGT Rock
08-07-2005, 19:46
I'll bring you some poke and some sassafras so you can start your own crop.

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2005, 19:47
actually there is a weed here called FIREWEED that is edible..and lots of wild berries

justusryans
08-07-2005, 20:05
OOOh, I miss dem salmonberries!

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2005, 20:10
OOOh, I miss dem salmonberries!

yah..I miss the blue crabs