PDA

View Full Version : how do YOU pronounce Appalachian?

Brooke
02-06-2013, 13:00
My friend who works with me always corrects me on how I say Appalachian....I am from Michigan and she is from North Carolina. I'm curious on how all you pronounce Appalachian?
I say Appa-lay-chen
She says Appa-latchin
And I have also heard Appa-lah-chun

Karma13
02-06-2013, 13:02
I'm north of the Mason-Dixon line, so I pronounce it app-uh-LAY-shun.

You know. The correct way. :D

treesloth
02-06-2013, 13:06
Tomato, tomato.

This is not really that effective when spelled out. But hopefully you get the point. :)

atmilkman
02-06-2013, 13:07
She says Appa-latchin

I've asked the same thing. People that live there pronounce it like your friend.

Ender
02-06-2013, 13:09
I'm north of the Mason-Dixon line, so I pronounce it app-uh-LAY-shun.

Also how I pronounce it. I grew up in CT.

klpicktown
02-06-2013, 13:24
me - app-uh-LAY-shun (grew up northeast ohio)

guy I know - Appa-latchin (grew up southest ohio on the river)

Webster - a-pə-ˈlā-ch(ē-)ən. a-pə-ˈla-, -sh(ē-)ən\

....who knows.....

Another Kevin
02-06-2013, 13:26
I pronounce it differently depending on which side of the Mason-Dixon line I'm on.

I grew up saying "app-uh-LAY-shun," because I'm a damnyankee. (And at the time, I didn't know that damnyankee was one word.)

DeerPath
02-06-2013, 13:31
If your from the South, we tend to pronounce words fast and short like App-latchin.

JAK
02-06-2013, 13:36
We say

A'-pull-A'-shen-Eh'

hikernutcasey
02-06-2013, 13:38
If your from the South, we tend to pronounce words fast and short like App-latchin.

I 2nd that.

Coffee Rules!
02-06-2013, 13:41
I pronounce it AT. :p

Ender
02-06-2013, 13:46
We say

A'-pull-A'-shen-Eh'

:) Brilliant. Love it.

Tipi Walter
02-06-2013, 14:07
I lived in Boone NC for 30 years and everyone there said App-a-latchin. People would wince when tourists and newcomers said app-a-laychin. It's sort of like Vietnam---some say Viet-nahm, others say Viet-nam (like can).

bigcranky
02-06-2013, 14:49
Apple - LATCH - un.

Grew up a Yankee, moved south, finally figured out how to pronounce it properly :)

JAK
02-06-2013, 15:05
In fairness...
the Southern pronouncian is closest to the original native American, in both pronounciiation and location, although it came through the Spanish so it is hard to say how the original tribes pronounced it, and they were refering originally to a village, not the tribe, or the mountain range.

While exploring inland along the northern coast of Florida in 1528, the members of the Narváez expedition, including Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, found a Native American village near present-day Tallahassee, Florida whose name they transcribed as Apalchen or Apalachen [a.paˈla.tʃɛn]. The name was soon altered by the Spanish to Apalachee and used as a name for the tribe and region spreading well inland to the north. Pánfilo de Narváez's expedition first entered Apalachee territory on June 15, 1528, and applied the name. Now spelled "Appalachian", it is the fourth oldest surviving European place-name in the US. - wikipedia

Darwin13
02-06-2013, 15:09
i pronounce it apple-taint-skin.

rocketsocks
02-06-2013, 15:17
Appa-Lay-shun

MuddyWaters
02-06-2013, 15:18
The historical pronunciation woud be appa-lachen. Today, it doesnt mattter, interchangeable.
Interestingly, the name historically derived from the indians near Appalachicola, Florida.

from wikipedia:

"While exploring inland along the northern coast of Florida in 1528, the members of the Narváez expedition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narv%C3%A1ez_expedition), including Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81lvar_N%C3%BA%C3%B1ez_Cabeza_de_Vaca), found a Native American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States) village near present-day Tallahassee, Florida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallahassee,_Florida) whose name they transcribed as Apalchen or Apalachen [a.paˈla.tʃɛn]. The name was soon altered by the Spanish to Apalachee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apalachee) and used as a name for the tribe and region spreading well inland to the north. Pánfilo de Narváez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A1nfilo_de_Narv%C3%A1ez)'s expedition first entered Apalachee territory on June 15, 1528, and applied the name. Now spelled "Appalachian", it is the fourth oldest surviving European place-name in the US.[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains#cite_note-11)

After the de Soto expedition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernando_de_Soto_%28explorer%29) in 1540, Spanish cartographers began to apply the name of the tribe to the mountains themselves. The first cartographic appearance of Apalchen is on Diego Gutierrez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Guti%C3%A9rrez_%28cartographer%29)' map of 1562; the first use for the mountain range is the map of Jacques le Moyne de Morgues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_le_Moyne_de_Morgues) in 1565.

rocketsocks
02-06-2013, 15:19
I pronounce it AT. :pHa, that funny!

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2013, 15:35
If your from the South, we tend to pronounce words fast and short like App-latchin. 19524I know that I'm going to catch some flack for this, but as a northerner I believe that the southern Appa-latch-chun. pronunciation is correct. If I'm not mistaken the word is derived from the Apalachee Indians. I continue to pronounce it incorrectly as Appa-lay-chin.

rocketsocks
02-06-2013, 15:45
I know that I'm going to catch some flack for this, but as a northerner I believe that the southern Appa-latch-chun. pronunciation is correct. If I'm not mistaken the word is derived from the Apalachee Indians. I continue to pronounce it incorrectly as Appa-lay-chin.You f****** turn coat. hehehe:D:)

Train Wreck
02-06-2013, 16:04
I know that I'm going to catch some flack for this, but as a northerner I believe that the southern Appa-latch-chun. pronunciation is correct. If I'm not mistaken the word is derived from the Apalachee Indians. I continue to pronounce it incorrectly as Appa-lay-chin.

The Elf is correct.
Appa-latch-chun.

rocketsocks
02-06-2013, 16:17
The Elf is correct.
Appa-latch-chun.Funny,but when I type in Appalachian trail to do a query for different books on the subject, I find my self sounding out the word as I type, and it goes like this....App-a-lach-i-an, I usually get this right.

Train Wreck
02-06-2013, 16:19
Funny,but when I type in Appalachian trail to do a query for different books on the subject, I find my self sounding out the word as I type, and it goes like this....App-a-lach-i-an, I usually get this right.

Foneticks is fun!

atmilkman
02-06-2013, 16:23
Foneticks is fun!

YO. How would you pronounce it according to ebonics? Or is it ebononics?

mykdavies
02-06-2013, 17:27
I was telling some Italian friends about the trail last night, and they tried to persuade me that it was obviously an Italian word, so should be pronounced APP-A-LACK-IAN. I remain sceptical...

xokie
02-06-2013, 17:38
I worked on a stage show with Jim Connors (the guy that wrote "Grandma's Feather Bed" and other songs you know if you're over 50) and he said to pronounce Appalachia like the you were describing the time someone threw an apple atcha. Throw in an "Un" and you've got my pronunciation.

Maddoxsjohnston
02-06-2013, 21:45
App-uh-latch-in, like the Apalachee indians. If you pronounced it like app-uh-lay-shin I'd give you a dirty look and presume you were a northerner (no hard feelings though).

Sarcasm the elf
02-06-2013, 21:51
App-uh-latch-in, like the Apalachee indians. If you pronounced it like app-uh-lay-shin I'd give you a dirty look and presume you were a northerner (no hard feelings though).

I got that dirty look several times when I was in Georgia last May. When we stopped at a winery, one of the ladies we were talking to joked that App-uh-latch-in were the mountains we were in, App-a-lay-chin was the word to describe the geographic location where a wine was made. :p

hikerboy57
02-06-2013, 21:53
YO. How would you pronounce it according to ebonics? Or is it ebononics?
dem dar hills

Train Wreck
02-06-2013, 21:56
dem dar hills

Rapper version:

Appa appa appa appa
Latchin latchin latchin latchin

hikerboy57
02-06-2013, 21:58
appadizzle layshizzle

atmilkman
02-06-2013, 22:03
dem dar hills

Rapper version:

Appa appa appa appa
Latchin latchin latchin latchin
I thought it would be more like Ap a lay she niki wa.

HikerMom58
02-06-2013, 22:05

I like this one the best!! That's what I mostly call it. It's been so long since I called it the Appa- lay- shin Trail, I had to really think about it... LOL

Northern Lights
02-06-2013, 22:30
Tomato, tomato.

This is not really that effective when spelled out. But hopefully you get the point. :)

That's because it's tomatoe, tomato ;)

Train Wreck
02-06-2013, 22:56
That's because it's tomatoe, tomato ;)

Po-TAY-toe, Po-TAH-toe!

Skyline
02-07-2013, 01:36
Too many years ago, on AT-L, Felix pronounced it Apple Asian.

Terry7
02-07-2013, 07:28
shun......

MDSection12
02-07-2013, 09:23
Well I guess on this issue I'm a Southerner. Here in MD I get to pick based on the issue. :)

OzJacko
02-07-2013, 09:43
Well if you keep going south, we call it appalayshun down here....;)

wnderer
02-07-2013, 12:14
The Happy Laughin Trail

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-07-2013, 16:50
Well if you keep going south, we call it appalayshun down here....;)

I'm with you Jacko....... I say appa-lay-shun......... I actually thought someone in Georgia was kidding me when they pronounced it appa-latch-ian.... I thought it sounded way too goofy to be correct ;)

But I'm just a damn foreigner....what do I know !

Doc_of_the_bay
02-08-2013, 23:04
Folks who live in Appalachia use this poem to teach how to pronounce it:

"Serpent," said Eve, "if you try to deceive
I'll throw this apple atcha."

Northern Lights
02-09-2013, 00:44
I watched a documentary on the Applachian people, and although I say Appa lay shun, it's Appa latch un apparently

atmilkman
02-09-2013, 00:49
I watched a documentary on the Applachian people, and although I say Appa lay shun, it's Appa latch un apparently
I'm pretty sure I saw the same one. Also when they refered to Appalachia they didn't pronounce it Appa lay she a.

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-09-2013, 01:45
The locals also got me with "Buena Vista" !!!!!!!

Train Wreck
02-09-2013, 01:51

Boona Vista, right? :)
We've done quite a bit of paddling there, and that's how I always heard it.

atmilkman
02-09-2013, 01:55
We got one of them in Alabama. We call it Buener Vister.

Brooke
02-10-2013, 19:41

Haha that great!! :p

HikerMom58
02-10-2013, 19:54

Ha Ha!! That's funny!! :) Dalton GA is a cool place, btw!! I went repelling for the first time in Dalton GA.

Theosus
02-10-2013, 20:15
Born in SC to two southerners... My father (south Alabama) pronounces it app-a-lay-chun. So do I. I never heard my mother say it...

OzJacko
02-11-2013, 04:52

I like that.
I'm gonna try and say "latch" in the south and then go with my normal language when I cross the Mason-Dixon line.
(It is Mason-Dixon on both sides right? I don't have to start calling it the Dixon-Mason Line at some point?);)

Train Wreck
02-11-2013, 05:12
I like that.
I'm gonna try and say "latch" in the south and then go with my normal language when I cross the Mason-Dixon line.
(It is Mason-Dixon on both sides right? I don't have to start calling it the Dixon-Mason Line at some point?);)

Technically, if you were heading SOBO, you should!

Coffee Rules!
02-11-2013, 06:06
Haha that great!! :p

Thank you. Tips are accepted. :p

Coffee Rules!
02-11-2013, 06:09
I like that.

Technically, if you were heading SOBO, you should!

¿sǝןnɹ ǝɥʇ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ ʇɐɥʇ ʇ,usǝop ɹǝpun uʍop ɯoɹɟ s,ǝɥ ǝɔuıs ʇnq ɥɐǝʎ

OzJacko
02-11-2013, 06:14
¿sǝןnɹ ǝɥʇ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ ʇɐɥʇ ʇ,usǝop ɹǝpun uʍop ɯoɹɟ s,ǝɥ ǝɔuıs ʇnq ɥɐǝʎ
Very clever!:)
As a true Australian I only follow the rules that suit me.
We have a history of being selective about rule following.:D

Coffee Rules!
02-11-2013, 06:34
2,110 Oz. Not too far from completing that cyberthru!

OzJacko
02-11-2013, 06:49
2,110 Oz. Not too far from completing that cyberthru!
And with an extra week off work, I'll breeze through a cafe thru...:D

Coffee Rules!
02-11-2013, 06:55
And with an extra week off work, I'll breeze through a cafe thru...:D

No extending the trail. It's set in stone.

vamelungeon
02-11-2013, 07:02
Appalachee, Apalachicola and Appalachia all have the same origin and should be pronounced in the same manner.

OzJacko
02-11-2013, 07:12
Appalachee, Apalachicola and Appalachia all have the same origin and should be pronounced in the same manner.
I have to take a bit of a stand here for personal reasons.
I was born and raised in Albany W.A. (that's Western Australia not Washington).
My hometown is pronounced al-bany with the al as in Allan, Alice.
This is despite the name having its origins being for Frederick, Duke of Albany and York with the al being pronounced awl as in Albany, New York.
My point is that the people who live in a place have precedence in deciding the pronunciation of local names.
We can all call it anything we like in our "home range" but when in Rome......;)
I will attempt to call it Appalatchian in the South as that is clearly the predominant local pronunciation. However I will probably cheat and call it the "Aytee" like Coffee Rules.:D

Coffee Rules!
02-11-2013, 07:23
My point is that the people who live in a place have precedence in deciding the pronunciation of local names.

Truth.

Both North and South Carolina have a city named Beaufort. In North Carolina it's pronounced BO-fert. In South Carolina it's Byoo-fert.