PDA

View Full Version : Where does the Trail start? Help

Gambit
02-06-2013, 13:24
I know in springer, GA but if you wanted to successfully hike all of GA would you start
At the 52 road and blue point intersection, or at the green triangle.
Where is this picture at? at highway 52 or green triangle? Is there parking at green triangle or is that the top of Springer mountain?:-? These questions sound dumb but I know im not the first to wonder about a place they have never been.

GoldenBear
02-06-2013, 13:31
At the green triangle.

The Approach Trail is not, technically, part of the AT.
You can reach the official AT terminus by hiking the Approach Trail OR by driving on USFS Road 42 to where it meets the AT, then back-tracking less than a mile to the Terminus.

max patch
02-06-2013, 13:38
If you want to hike all of the AT in GA you would start at the green triangle, which is Springer Mtn.

The picture of the arch is at the start of the Approach Trail, which is in Amicalola State Park which is just off of Hwy 52.

The green triangle is the top of Springer Mtn. There is a parking lot 1 mile N of Springer off of a forest service road. Most hikers start at the parking lot, hike S to the top of Springer, and then turn around and start hiking N.

The Approach Trail USED to be part of the AT. Years ago the AT started at Mt Ogelthorpe. Because of the chicken farms, the start of the AT was moved N to Springer. Many hikers start their hike at Amicalola Falls State Park and hike the Approach Trail to the top of Springer. It is not required to do this, if you want to hike all of the AT in GA, as it is no longer the AT. Just a nice 8 mile hike.

slbirdnerd
02-06-2013, 15:33
I've heard the approach trail offers some nice scenery.

Lyle
02-06-2013, 16:33
Hiking up the approach trail offers the unique experience of the 600+ steps. These were actually more enjoyable that I anticipated and offered some nice views of the falls. I was amazed after viewing the impressive falls that when I got to the top, you just stepped over the stream that fed them.

Praha4
02-06-2013, 17:57
do the Approach Trail if u have the time, you'll get to see Amicalola Falls, a beautiful falls, and the Approach Trail is a good warmup for the AT.

max patch
02-06-2013, 18:58
And if you don't have a full day you can always just drive to Amicalola, check out the visitor center, the first shelter, the arch, weigh your pack, and drive to the falls. Or walk the mile to the top. Its all right there before you leave the black top.

moytoy
02-06-2013, 19:22
I've heard the approach trail offers some nice scenery.
No real scenic vistas on the approach trail. It's a beautiful trail though. To me it's part of the AT experience.

Gambit
02-07-2013, 10:03
I am going to try and incorporate the approach as "part of the AT" Always affraid im going to miss out on somthing! haha

tds1195
02-07-2013, 10:54
I am going to try and incorporate the approach as "part of the AT" Always affraid im going to miss out on somthing! haha

Sounds like a plan, Gambit. I think you'll find that it's worth it!

yellowsirocco
02-07-2013, 12:17
Just start at the Amicalola lodge. It is kind of a pain to get to drive to the Springer parking lot. It is also a pain to start at the arch at the visitors center and hike up the falls.

peakbagger
02-07-2013, 17:50
I started a section on US42 and hiked the approach trail a year after when I did trip to fill in sections along the southern AT that I had missed due to trail closures.

gunner76
02-07-2013, 21:00
If you are doing the whole AT then whats the problem with an extra 8+ miles. Nice hike all uphill but worth it..

Gambit
02-09-2013, 14:45
Theres not a problem with it i was curious if it was a part of the AT, there are many trails that connect to the AT should I hike all those too?