PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU DO!? Dream Trip in Tahoe National Forest/ Yosemite Park!

Darwin13
02-06-2013, 14:03
Ok here are the parameters.

You have 3-6 full days starting around June 9th, to either go for a multi day hike in the Tahoe National forest or the yosemite valley.

You are alone, do not have technical mountain gear, and just want to kill 3-6 days on an amazing trail, preferably a loop but an out and back is not a deal breaker.

Odd Man Out
02-06-2013, 14:42
Ok here are the parameters.

You have 3-6 full days starting around June 9th, to either go for a multi day hike in the Tahoe National forest or the yosemite valley.

You are alone, do not have technical mountain gear, and just want to kill 3-6 days on an amazing trail, preferably a loop but an out and back is not a deal breaker.

Don't know about THF, but you can't really do a multi day hike IN Yosemite valley. There is no camping allowed, except at the campground, which are all at the east end of the Valley. If you hike out of the valley, you have to hike a certain distance away from the valley before you reach the wilderness area where camping would be allowed. This will not be near the Valley itself, in most cases, and as you get further away from the valley, if you get high enough in elevation you are likely to encounter lots of Snow in early June (depending on the snow pack and melt rate for this year). Take these things into consideration if planning a Yosemite hike.

mattack
02-07-2013, 09:37
I would check out El Dorado national forest (in between TNF and Yosemite). Plenty of trails, and amazing camping spots. The Desolation Wilderness is breathtaking!

flemdawg1
02-07-2013, 09:44
I did this trip 3 years ago. Just remember to stay to the RIGHT when doing that big scramble.

http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/hikes/368705

Sly
02-07-2013, 09:44
Yosemite valley is awesome but it's also crowded so if you don't mind lots of people there's lots to do. If Tioga road is open I suggest camping at Toulemne Meadows a couple nights and day tripping around there or if you can get a permit, doing a high loop hiking into the Valley on the JMT and alternates.

The Solemates
02-07-2013, 10:32
trt with a shuttle

Lyle
02-07-2013, 10:47
I did a 40 or so mile section of Tahoe Rim Trail last September. Thoroughly enjoyed it even though many of the streams were dry. Enough water was left not to be a big concern. I did the southern section from Echo Pass to Kingsbury Grade. This is one of the lesser used sections of the trail, but very beautiful, great views and really nice hiking. I considered doing the Desolation Wilderness section, but want to save that for the end - everything I've heard is that it's spectacular.

Enjoy - Great area.

Malto
02-07-2013, 11:04
You gave so little info on desire or capability beyond the technical mountain comment.

Heres what I would do if I knew what I knew today and hadn't hiked in the Sierra extensively. IMHO, the TRT is completely over rated especially when compared with over Sierra locations. Likewise, Yosemite is well known but doesn't hold a candle to its southern twin Kings Canyon NP. So, without out knowing your capability or potential appetite for snow..... I would do the Rae Lakes Loop. This is 40-45 miles, crosses a single high pass, Glen but gives you a great taste of the high Sierra. If you are able to do more miles then there is a multitude of side trips to expend the trip further. An example would be to head into Center Basin for a nice side trip. The one thing you won't to watch is snow conditions. In 2010 and 2011 there was a good bit of snow, 2012 was clear sailing. In a normal year I would expect you would see patchy snow from Vidette Meadows to Charolotte Lake, solid snow over Glen, Then patchy snow down to the Bubbs Creek bridge.

You can google this, Rae Lakes Loop. It is one of the most popular hikes in the Seirra but you will be early in the season. The cool thing is that you will likely meet the PCT thru hikers unless it is a monster snow year then you should probably chose another route. You can monitor the Seirra snow at postholer.com

Dogwood
02-08-2013, 00:58
Just posted two in detail Yosemite treks on the "1st timer to Yosemite" thread floating around. Ones in and around YV lasting for about 5 days at a moderate pace but over all moderately strenuous hike. The other, I expanded on another posters suggestion, around Hetch Hetchy beginning at Tioga pass Rd at Tuolomne Medaows of about 3 days duration.

English Stu
02-08-2013, 06:16
I would ask on YahooJMT group, great people on their.

English Stu
02-08-2013, 06:18
Sorry fat fingers on there spelling.

Miami Joe
02-08-2013, 11:56
Tahoe Rim Trail!

On a side note, I don't anyone told Spock and Captain Kirk about the camping restrictions in Yosemite.