PDA

View Full Version : SW Colorado?

wilconow
06-09-2005, 16:34
A friend and I are going to the Telluride Bluegrass festival in a couple days. We have like 3 days beforehand to hike. I've called a couple rangers who had some suggestions but was wondering if anyone here does too. Originally we were planning to do an overnight on the Crater Lake Trail, a little south of Silverton near Molas Lake Campground, but I've been told that it is covered in snow. pretty hard to believe, considering how warm it has been here in the dc area the past couple days.

Footslogger
06-09-2005, 16:36
Can't speak for SW Colo but not much further north in SE Wyoming we still have quite a bit of snow about 10,000ft elevation.

'Slogger

Mags
06-09-2005, 17:00
The snowpack in the San Juans is 150% this year. Usually, you can't go hiking in the San Juans until late June.

Must confess to not being as familiar with the Telluride area as other areas. Most of the area is still quite high in snow.

I'd take the ranger suggestions. Though they tend to be conversvative, they do know the area.

A good map to buy of the area TRAIL ILLUSTRATED "Silverton, Lake City" map, #141.

Good luck. Some of my friends are going to it as well...