PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Woody Gap-Mid March What is to be expected

Gambit
02-06-2013, 15:38
In mid March(15-17) what is to be expected from Springer to Woody Gap.
Scenery, people(thru hikers), difficulty, water, tent spots etc.

Good or bad experiences?

ChinMusic
02-06-2013, 15:43
Expect a zoo at shelters. Plan on tenting for sure.
Water should be a non-issue with even marginal sources flowing.
Good or bad. It's all good.

daddytwosticks
02-06-2013, 16:44
Don't know about mid-March. In 2010, I did AFSP to Neels in mid-April. I don't mean to sound elitist or to appear to be super-hiker, however, let's just say my hike was very entertaining. Especially in the evenings watching rookie-hiker antics at the shelters. Better than reality TV at home on the couch. :)

Praha4
02-06-2013, 17:55
mid march Springer to Woody Gap, a taste of thru hiker peak season

scenery: nature or human? likely too early for wildflowers, trees maybe just beginning to bud. Expect cold weather, and maybe cold rain/sleet...be prepared. Mid march can be cold/warm/wet
people: bumper to bumper traffic, especially near shelters
difficulty: not too bad except for Sassafras and Justin Mtns... if you don't have trail legs yet, these climbs/downhills will give u a nice workout.
water: should be plenty available at creeks, springs
tent spots: tent city near shelters.... there will be available spots along the trail where u can tent

max patch
02-06-2013, 18:55
It could be sunny and in the 70s.

Or, as it was in mid March 1993, when Ellijay (closest town to Springer) got 20 inches of snow. Springer got more, plus drifts, and the rangers "rescued" hikers at the Springer Shelter even if they didn't want to be rescued.

I'm guessing it'll probably be somewhere in the middle.

Gambit
02-07-2013, 10:08
Thanks for the heads up, I am not a fan of shelters and will be nestled in my tarptent but it would be entertaining to see greenhorns excited about the flog north :-?. Should I incorporate the approach trial in this or start north of highway 52?

When you say tent city are you refering to there being an extreme amount of tents or tent spots?

I have done extensive backpacking in TN/NC but not at the start of the thru hiker season in GA which is why I want to go. Want to see the people in the woods! (Only once though)

ChinMusic
02-07-2013, 10:35
When you say tent city are you refering to there being an extreme amount of tents or tent spots?

I have done extensive backpacking in TN/NC but not at the start of the thru hiker season in GA which is why I want to go. Want to see the people in the woods! (Only once though)

The tenting around shelters during that time will be akin to Tent City at Trail Days. LOTS of tents. There are a lot of woods though. You will find a place to pitch.