PDA

View Full Version : Questions about this old Gregory pack I got

tladuke
02-07-2013, 02:24
I searched Internet for hours, could only find one picture of a similar backpack. I'm trying to find out what some of these features are designed for. Maybe someone here had one.
On the inside, at the bottom there are two straps. And you can get to the very bottom chamber (the black part) through the bottom of the main chamber.
What are these straps for?
What is the bottom (black) part supposed to hold and why make it accessible from above?
I got it off craigslist. The list was for "Vintage Gregory Brown Label"
Here's what the bag looks like
http://i47.tinypic.com/iqd9i9.jpg
Here's the bottom, inside.
http://i48.tinypic.com/2e6d9pg.jpg

chiefduffy
02-07-2013, 05:55
Sleeping bag compartment in the bottom. Not sure about the straps, but usually Gregorys have a removable/adjustable divider above the sleeping bag compartment, may be an early version. Gregorys are notoriously over-engineered. They are the best for heavy loads, tho. Nice score on the pack

DeerPath
02-07-2013, 09:43
Straps on bottom are to attach a sleeping pad, usually a Thermarest Z-Lite, or anything that will not be damaged with rain, mud, etc.

BradMT
02-07-2013, 10:30
It's a 1983-ish Cassin.

tds1195
02-07-2013, 10:34
Straps on bottom are to attach a sleeping pad, usually a Thermarest Z-Lite, or anything that will not be damaged with rain, mud, etc.

Yup. I use mine for tent poles sometimes, too, if I bring them. I like the way they fit there better than inside my pack.

Northern Lights
02-07-2013, 10:40

I believe he said the straps are on the inside of the pack just before the black sleeping bag compartment. My gregory pack has the same straps, I just assumed they were some sort of divider that many bags now have as a sold piece of material instead of straps.

tds1195
02-07-2013, 11:37
I believe he said the straps are on the inside of the pack just before the black sleeping bag compartment. My gregory pack has the same straps, I just assumed they were some sort of divider that many bags now have as a sold piece of material instead of straps.

Ohhhh you're right Northern. I can see that pic is indeed the inside of the bag, now. I think you're right. My old military pack had something similar. I used it to keep the sleeping bag in place...suitcases have similar straps so your clothes don't move around too much (I think that was the original idea here, too). They're not overly useful, though. I think you could safely cut those out without missing out on too much.