PDA

View Full Version : Guys, how do you prevent crotch rot?

Tree Nerd
02-07-2013, 12:13
I a know every male on here as experience a severe case of sweaty balls or crotch rot at one time or another, especially when hiking several long distance days with no shower. Whats your secret to keep it at bay?

flemdawg1
02-07-2013, 12:20
Bandana wipe downs with soap and water.

Sarcasm the elf
02-07-2013, 12:24
When I figure out how to prevent it I will let you know. Until then, gold bond is your friend. I might even try diaper rash ointment this summer, some folks swear by it.

Lyle
02-07-2013, 12:28
Daily or twice a day bandana/water wipe downs. If it's a really hot stretch, carry some baby wipes.

If chafing starts, apply some Gold Bond Medicated in the evening - chafing gone by morning.

tds1195
02-07-2013, 12:33
Daily or twice a day bandana/water wipe downs. If it's a really hot stretch, carry some baby wipes.

If chafing starts, apply some Gold Bond Medicated in the evening - chafing gone by morning.

Gold Bond is your best friend. It not only helps with the chafing/rot, it feels good!

louisb
02-07-2013, 12:34
baby wipes and gold bond. UA boxer briefs helps too.

--louis

Prop Blast
02-07-2013, 12:36
Wipe downs and Glide for prevention. A & D Ointment is good for severe rash but Gold Bond weighs less. An ounce of Gold Bond is worth a tube of A & D.

rocketsocks
02-07-2013, 12:44
I a know every male on here as experience a severe case of sweaty balls or crotch rot at one time or another, especially when hiking several long distance days with no shower. Whats your secret to keep it at bay?Ya ever see the movie "Silkwood"......or you could use a OTC jock itch cream. In more extreme cases you may need to see a doctor and get a steroid ointment, or antibiotic.........good luck brother....luckily I don't feel your pain.

leaftye
02-07-2013, 12:45
While long boxer briefs are great for reducing chafing, they also cause a bad case of sweaty crotch. If you have a breezy day, you could strip partially or to the skin and put your bum in the wind. I'm not too proud to admit that I've done that. It had me thinking hard of wearing a kilt.

I've also been thinking about wearing an absorbent towel around my waist or hips to capture sweat that would usually drip down and accumulate in my crotch.

Hopefully those two measures will result in a dry crotch.

Feral Bill
02-07-2013, 13:04
Go commando.

colorado_rob
02-07-2013, 13:13
Though, as all of us guys know, this is a legitimate concern, I shuddered when I saw this post, knowing that it was yet one more opportunity for folks to promote going Commando. What's with this huge desire to announce this clothing option? Yikes. TMI.

Feral Bill
02-07-2013, 13:16
Though, as all of us guys know, this is a legitimate concern, I shuddered when I saw this post, knowing that it was yet one more opportunity for folks to promote going Commando. What's with this huge desire to announce this clothing option? Yikes. TMI. Not being a wise guy, just an effective way to prevent the problem.

barf_jay
02-07-2013, 13:16
Oh man good subject...I got this bad last summer, now when I hike, it is always with me. I use athlete foot cream, zeazorb powder, take wipes for cleaning. I have never got it again since then, use the listed products and you should be good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Zeasorb-AF-Antifungal-Powder-2-5-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B002IT5NE4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

RedBeerd
02-07-2013, 13:17
Body glide to prevent chaffing is defence #1. If ya still get minor chaffing and irritation then a good clean and powder up with gold bond medicated. Beyond that a good rash ointment..just keep clean!! If ya get the jock itch then embrace the itch and lather up with lotrimin.
On my LT hike it was HOT. I was chaffing everywhere and it was getting funky..commando didn't work and I seemed to sweat through body glide. Rash ointment and changing clothes mid day helped control funk.

Gambit
02-07-2013, 13:29
I don’t know why but I get it really bad, I am not overweight and of normal size. It has to do with walking patterns but this is what I do and I never have a problem
1- A good set of compression shorts. If your legs aren’t rubbing together, they won’t chafe.
2- For cooling, get a travel size bottle of gold bond. I sometimes douse once every stop just cause it sooths.

As well, if you go swimming, don’t hit the trail again wet. And at night before you get in your sleeping bag, take a baby wipe bath.
It is surprising how refreshing this is after a long day on the trail.

Praha4
02-07-2013, 13:31
Gold Bond powder. And Boudraux's Butt Paste works wonders.

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash3/s160x160/525690_351471904900607_504383607_a.jpg

Tree Nerd
02-07-2013, 13:46
I've found that compression shorts along with vaseline works really well for chafing, but havent found anything for sweaty balls.....I have been contemplating going comando with a kilt, is this pretty commmon?

bannerstone
02-07-2013, 14:33
Being a cyclist this is a concern as well. To add to the regular hygene recommendations, if you wear compression shorts, it's really important to wash them, every day if possible. I've used lots of different lubricants that have preventative properties, there are always some products at the bike shop with crazy names like Monkey Butt Butter, etc. that are silicone based but I don't like those for hiking because the oils are difficult to launder out of my clothing on the trail.

To treat a rash, I like a product called Pinxav http://www.pinxav.com/ that is basically a diaper rash ointment. My wife recommended it a lot for her patients for various rashes caused by medications, chemo, etc. And yes, it's pink. :)

David

JAK
02-07-2013, 14:37
Though, as all of us guys know, this is a legitimate concern, I shuddered when I saw this post, knowing that it was yet one more opportunity for folks to promote going Commando. What's with this huge desire to announce this clothing option? Yikes. TMI.I'm commando right now, at work. :D

Feral Bill
02-07-2013, 14:39
..I have been contemplating going comando with a kilt, is this pretty commmon?
If you are not going commando, it is a skirt.

88BlueGT
02-07-2013, 14:53
Wipe downs and Glide for prevention. A & D Ointment is good for severe rash but Gold Bond weighs less. An ounce of Gold Bond is worth a tube of A & D.

^^ Agreed.

Oh yea, and I swear Glide has saved my life before!

Creek Dancer
02-07-2013, 15:10
Bandana wipe downs with soap and water.

I think I need new glasses. I read "BANANA" wipe downs with soap and water. Geez...why am I reading this thread anyway.:banana

RCBear
02-07-2013, 15:18
i cut the lining out of my hiking shorts and leave the undies at home. never had a problem. except when i stop to talk to the ladies with a leg on the rock Captain Morgan style.

rocketsocks
02-07-2013, 15:45
Go commando.My boys need support!

mikec
02-07-2013, 16:00
Wet wipes daily, change underwear as often as possible, use Body Glide.

Camel2012
02-07-2013, 16:01
Go commando.My boys need support!

+1
I like everything to stay in its place. Commando isn't an option for me on extended hikes, but gold bond is always in my pack.

swjohnsey
02-07-2013, 18:00
Commando.............

Blackbeard30
02-07-2013, 18:11
I like compression shorts and baby powder. Works great!

Another Kevin
02-07-2013, 18:30
If you are not going commando, it is a skirt.
It's a kilt, because if you call it a skirt, you'll get kilt.

My boys need support!
You can't stand being the sole support of your two dependents?

+1 on the bath with a bandana or baby wipe. If I can spend an ounce of fuel or someone has a campfire, I may boil a couple of cups of water to take the chill off half a bucket. (I tote along a S2S bucket anyway.)

For multiday trips in hot, humid weather, I've been know to spend a few ounces carrying a clean pair of compression shorts to change into. Wash the dirty, sweaty pair in Dr Bronner's, wring it in the dollar-store chamois that I carry as a pack towel, and hang it in a shelter or on my pack - if it's not actually getting rained on, it dries pretty quick. Even if I have to put it on still damp, it's clean and damp, which makes a big difference.

It's not that difficult to wash, as long as there's water. Particularly if you have a tent. I can imagine that the folks at a shelter don't want to see you wiping down your you-know-whats.

The Cleaner
02-07-2013, 19:07
Gold Bond powder. And Boudraux's Butt Paste works wonders.

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash3/s160x160/525690_351471904900607_504383607_a.jpg You can put this on your nose to prevent sunburn too....

Toolshed
02-07-2013, 21:27
I a know every male on here as experience a severe case of sweaty balls or crotch rot at one time or another, especially when hiking several long distance days with no shower. Whats your secret to keep it at bay?
Sweaty balls, yes. crotch rot, no. unless yo mean otherwise such as heat rash or chapping of your skin, Crotch rot is an indication of bacteria due to filth/uncleanliness which is allowed to grow unchecked. Nothing short of wahsing with soap and water with plenty of mechanical action will keep you clean.
for heat rash and chapping, there is plenty of information in this forum and probably in 25 other very similiar forums. keep it clean, protect from abrasion by either prohpelactically reducing friction (vaseline, body glide or the gold bond friction stick) or protecting from friction (underarmor or ex-officio) and then if you do get it, using a rash lotion such as zinc or desitin or beaudreau's butt paste.

Almost There
02-07-2013, 21:50
Bodyglide liberally applied each day prevents crotch rot, and monkey butt! However when it mixes with sweat, gawd dang does it create a unique stink.:cool:

Biggie Master
02-07-2013, 22:07
Please refer to the other thread about coating your balls with petroleum jelly. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91981-How-do-you-coat-your-balls-with-petroleum-jelly&highlight=Petroleum+jelly

Flachenmann
02-08-2013, 00:46
Sweaty balls, yes. crotch rot, no. unless yo mean otherwise such as heat rash or chapping of your skin, Crotch rot is an indication of bacteria due to filth/uncleanliness which is allowed to grow unchecked.

What that guy said. For me, prevention/cleanliness is key. People have mentioned baby wipes for thighs but I think they're more useful for after a #2. After using some TP, do a once over with a baby wipe. I haven't had a case of crotch rot since I started doing this.

soulrebel
02-08-2013, 09:13
wash or wipe away the salt. spray or treat with alcohol and air dry, burns but kills all the bacteria and removes the oil so it'll start the healing process quicker. Apply antibiotic ointment and bandage overnight. Use duct tape or body glide over the area the next day.

Turk6177
02-08-2013, 09:35
At the end of the day, I use an alcohol wipe (like one of those hand sanitizers types) and wipe down the privates. THis seems to kill most bacteria. In addition to that, every morning, I use Glide down there to prevent chafing in the first place. I bring diaper rash ointment if I do start to get rashy and monkey butt powder (a little of both). I think the real key though, is to clean up at night and use the glide. It doesn't hurt to hang your shorts and underwear at night as well to try to dry them a little bit. I also hike with underarmor compressions shorts which adds another layer of protection from chafing.

Starchild
02-08-2013, 10:06
Though, as all of us guys know, this is a legitimate concern, I shuddered when I saw this post, knowing that it was yet one more opportunity for folks to promote going Commando. What's with this huge desire to announce this clothing option? Yikes. TMI.

I never understood why this was TMI, It works, it's not indecent unless the pants are partly see thru or shape conforming (which would be a issue), it's really no 'dirtier' then wearing underwear, perhaps even cleaner in a way. Why not talk about it as a legit option, where does the concept squick people out?

Peace

Wise Old Owl
02-08-2013, 10:39
I think I need new glasses. I read "BANANA" wipe downs with soap and water. Geez...why am I reading this thread anyway.:banana

Note to the girls: Don't borrow Flemdawg's Bandana!:eek:

jeffmeh
02-08-2013, 11:06
Obviously the term does not constitute a medical diagnosis, but I disagree with the notion that it's a bacterial infection that should be treated with antibiotic ointment. While that is certainly possible if you have chafing and don't keep it clean, "crotch rot" usually refers to tinea cruris, a fungal infection. If you get it, you want to treat it with an antifungal, like Lotrimin, Tinactin, etc. NEVER treat a fungal infection with a corticosteroid, as that is intended to suppress your immune response.

To prevent it, keep it clean and dry as best you can. Body glide when hiking, then washing and drying well, then powder can work well. I find boxer briefs or compression shorts superior to prevent chafing vs. "freeing the boys," but that can vary by individual.

Just Jack
02-08-2013, 12:13
Got a case of crotch rot once that was so bad that amputation with a chain saw seemed like a possible
solution. Happened early in the hike so that I wasn't packing any of the suggested remedies or treatments.
Warning!!! Just about everybody at some time will have to deal with chaffing issues--ladies also. You should be
packing the suggested remedies and treatments at all times. If the fickle finger of fate selects your nether regions
for unjust attention, believe me, you will not for a moment think that you have been carrying unnecessary
weight.

Sensei
02-08-2013, 22:43
Body glide saved my life and my loins on the AT. Body glide while hiking, then clean up and apply extra strength Gold Bond powder in camp to let things heal. I tried commando and for me it led to more chafing, not less. Probably depends a lot on what shorts/pants you're wearing.

The last post is right on, whatever you do don't take a chance by not carrying treatment. You might go several hundred miles without an issue, and then out of nowhere, BAM... misery.

SunnyWalker
02-23-2013, 18:02
Practice good, continuous, personal hygiene.

mattcush
03-08-2013, 14:21
If you have ATHLETES FOOT, put your damn SOCKS on BEFORE you step into your underwear or pants!

MuddyWaters
03-09-2013, 22:47
Cheap $10 Starter compression shorts

Wash salt out periodically,

No issues.

Blue Mountain Edward
03-10-2013, 01:15
Carry extra underwear and wash them when they get skunky. Use Underarmor or similiar wicking briefs, they are worth the $20.

Portie
03-10-2013, 12:41
This was a huge issue for our troops in Vietnam--they were walking many miles each day in high temps and high humidity. The solution was to go commando, and also cut air slits in the jungle fatigue pants.

mcstick
03-10-2013, 12:57
My brother gave me some of this for Christmas . It's a game changer.

http://freshballs.com/index.html/