PDA

View Full Version : Is a pillow necessary when using a hammock?

Big Dawg
06-09-2005, 19:19
Do you hammock campers use a pillow or not?

MOWGLI
06-09-2005, 19:27

You can use a fleece or some other clothing item.

PKH
06-09-2005, 19:28
I think most of us use something, even if it's just a stuff sack filled with spare clothes. If it allows you to sleep better, then it's absolutely necessary.

cheers,

PKH

Just Jeff
06-09-2005, 20:08
I usually put a stuff sack or fleece between my knees to relieve lower back pain, but not always. Every now and then I use a pillow for my head, but I don't find it necessary for comfort.

In a Speer, you can put your knee over the side, too.

The MOST comfortable neck pillow I've used is those horseshoe travel pillows. I put it with the open part at the top and it cradles my head perfectly.

If you're not using an underquilt or your pad doesn't reach to your head, you'll need something for insulation...a balaclava might not be enough.

jlb2012
06-09-2005, 20:19
I use a stuff sack and some clothing for a pillow - its a comfort item plus it helps keep my head warm and my feet on the mat - I'm a little taller than the mat I use in the hammock so the pillow lets me sleep higher up on the mat thus keeping my heels on the mat.

rpettit
06-09-2005, 20:48
I use a small pillow, more comfortable that way.

neo
06-09-2005, 22:28
i never use one in hammock:cool: neo

Kerosene
06-09-2005, 23:54
On the ground I'll use a stuff sack filled with clothes and wrapped in my fleece (or a partially inflated water bladder wrapped in fleece). In my hammock I just put my fleece under my head, since my head is partially raised anyway.

Bob Baker
06-10-2005, 01:38
I like to use a pillow. I find it to be a more comfortable position in my hennesey.

newhampshire camper
06-10-2005, 07:10
Usually some balled up piece of clothing will do the trick, more for insulation than comfort though.

trippclark
06-10-2005, 09:34
When car camping, I use a pillow, but when backpacking, I do not.

flyfisher
06-10-2005, 16:30
When I read, I put my clothes bag under my head. When I sleep, I do not use a pillow. For warmth, I sometimes put my hat under my head and in cold months I always wear a balaclava.

However, I find that my head is already higher than my shoulder because of the shape of the hammock.

BTW, I do use a pillow in bed.

DLFrost
06-10-2005, 21:01
I always had to use one on the ground, but don't now that I'm in a hammock.

Niftiest idea I've seen so far for a pillow... Go into a dollar store and get a pair of kiddie "water wings." Cut the connecting plastic on one of them and you're left with a miniature inflatable pillow. I'd probably use it along with a stuffed-stuffsack though.

Doug Frost

Kerosene
06-10-2005, 23:33
Niftiest idea I've seen so far for a pillow... Go into a dollar store and get a pair of kiddie "water wings." Cut the connecting plastic on one of them and you're left with a miniature inflatable pillow. I'd probably use it along with a stuffed-stuffsack though.I picked up this idea from WhiteBlaze. Works like a charm when put into my stuff sack (usually with some clothes behind it) and wrapped in my fleece. I don't use when I hammock, though.

titanium_hiker
06-14-2005, 14:13
usually, no, I don't use a pillow in the hammock (it gets in the way!) I have spent many nights inside with pillow in the hammock- but I have found that I don't need or want one. However sometimes I hate the feeling of "empty space" under my neck- a rolled up fleece/soft sweater does the trick. It all depends on whether I feel like sleeping on my back or on my side, (or even on the tummy!) so yeah. not necesary- but whatever floats your boat.

titanium_hiker

jackiebolen
06-14-2005, 16:28
Sleeping in shelters, I usually used my hammock for a pillow. Sleeping in the hammock I usually used the hood on the mummy bag as a pillow of sorts because it rarely got cold enough to actually need it.

titanium_hiker
06-15-2005, 15:15
oh yeah- love the mummy bag hood for a pillow. reccomended.

MedicineMan
06-15-2005, 22:41
or whatever they are called, cut it in half so its not a circle anymore, inflate to desired level, cost around $1 at wallyworld, weighs less than an ounce, very comfortable in the hammock either under the neck or head, wrap in shirt/fleece/whatever if you dont like the plastic feel

IdahoDavid
06-20-2005, 14:55
Works nice to use a stuff sack and to tie cords to lines on hammock. Keeps the pillow from sliding down behind your back at night.