PDA

View Full Version : Trail-name before departure, or to be conferred by others??

alxflwrs
02-07-2013, 15:32
Trying to gauge everyone's opinion on coming to the AT with your trail name already predetermined, or to have it conferred upon you by fellow hikers.

Tradition dictates that other hikers confer it, but HYOH dictates you can essentially do whatever you want.

I've thought about it a lot, and still can come to no conclusion.

alxflwrs
02-07-2013, 15:33
Destiny and those who ascribe to determinism would say that my trail name has been waiting for me my whole life, so no matter what I think one is better over the other, my "true" trail name will meet me whether I do one or the other...

Jefe
02-07-2013, 15:41
You can always bring a trail name with you when you start, but another may take its place as you hike along. Whatever you want to do is fine.

Gray Blazer
02-07-2013, 15:48

Watson or "No $hit Sherlock" ?

SCRUB HIKER
02-07-2013, 15:52
Destiny and those who ascribe to determinism would say that my trail name has been waiting for me my whole life, so no matter what I think one is better over the other, my "true" trail name will meet me whether I do one or the other...

If I knew enough about you, alxflwrs, and the laws that govern you, I would be able to predict the exact behavior that will one day result in you encountering your (inevitable) trail name. Alas, my knowledge is imperfect, so I will just suggest "Destiny's Child" for you.

atmilkman
02-07-2013, 15:53
How about load downer. The opposite of downloader.

Hosaphone
02-07-2013, 16:08
Watson or "No $hit Sherlock" ?

Ahhhh Watson is so good. Short enough, could potentially be a real name, fun to say.

rocketsocks
02-07-2013, 16:13
The one you give yourself is the one that'll be used while others are in your presence, the one that others give you will be the one used when your not around.

whats in a name?....sell ya mine for 50 cents

Train Wreck
02-07-2013, 16:20
The one you give yourself is the one that'll be used while others are in your presence, the one that others give you will be the one used when your not around.

That's a pretty high mark up from the guy who foisted it off on you!

TEXMAN
02-07-2013, 16:44
It sure is easier to start with a trailname ... you will meet so many people in the beginning and probably never see most of them again so it doesn't matter for them, but those few who may want to keep track of you won't know who you are if you wait until someone gives one farther down the trail...
Old Man River

Camel2012
02-07-2013, 16:46
This is my opinion, and others may vary.

If you give yourself a trail name, it's not really a trail name. It is a nickname.

Trail names are given to you by other hikers "on the trail." Most likely, you will not have much say, as others will call you by it whether you like it or not. Of course this will vary depending on how social you are. (We even had a few trail names for the super unsocial people. They just didn't know it.) I have handed out a few trail names that stuck, but am not a fan nor would i accept an offensive name you wouldn't be comfortable telling to your grandmother.

Summed up, just wait for your trail name to find you.

And as always HYOH...

ChuckBrown
02-07-2013, 16:55

lol..this is correct, there were a few who had alternate trail names. Then there were some who came with a name and fellow thru hikers change it.I believe for it to be a true trail name it must be given on the trail.Mine is CHEF.

tds1195
02-07-2013, 17:00
This is my opinion, and others may vary.

If you give yourself a trail name, it's not really a trail name. It is a nickname.

Trail names are given to you by other hikers "on the trail." Most likely, you will not have much say, as others will call you by it whether you like it or not. Of course this will vary depending on how social you are. (We even had a few trail names for the super unsocial people. They just didn't know it.) I have handed out a few trail names that stuck, but am not a fan nor would i accept an offensive name you wouldn't be comfortable telling to your grandmother.

Summed up, just wait for your trail name to find you.

And as always HYOH...

Agree 100%. I have been given various nicknames...in the Marines, for example, I was the only guy in my squad who didn't dip. One day I went to the store and bought a pack of gummies to throw in my lip. When the guys said, "Hey! He's dippin'!" I said, "Yup!" and proudly displayed the gummy worms in my lip. From then on, I was refereed to as "Gummies" - I know...the manliest name you've ever heard!

tds1195
02-07-2013, 17:01
Forgot to add - I wouldn't consider "Gummies" to be my trail name, though, unless I got it organically on the trail, too. It's much more special when you get it on the trail than it is if you come in with a nickname. I still haven't gotten a trail name, but I've only been section hiking for a few months.

Blackbeard30
02-07-2013, 18:04
I always thought that I would want to start hiking with a trail name I came up with, but I have decided to wait though. I want to my trail name to come when I'm on the trail (I may have to wait a while because it'll be many years before I can actually through hike....just sections for me now).

douginky
02-07-2013, 18:52
I always thought that I would want to start hiking with a trail name I came up with, but I have decided to wait though. I want to my trail name to come when I'm on the trail (I may have to wait a while because it'll be many years before I can actually through hike....just sections for me now).

Why? You don't think a trail name can be "earned" on a section hike?

Slo-go'en
02-07-2013, 18:54
Mine was made up on the trail since each time some one asks me "how's it going?" (usually as they passed me on an uphill) I'll answer "slowly".

I think with the advent of on line trail journals and internet screen names, most pick a name to use before hand so they don't have to change it in all thier accounts later. Plus you don't want to end up with a name like "dog breath" or "sir fartsalot".

Stink Bug
02-07-2013, 19:07
What's wrong with Sir Fartsalot? A week or so of typical trail food does funny things to my stomach and I get, um, gassy. It got to the point where my girlfriend would hug me and I'd fart releasing a not too pleasant smell, just like my insect namesake!

Lone Wolf
02-07-2013, 19:28
Trying to gauge everyone's opinion on coming to the AT with your trail name already predetermined, or to have it conferred upon you by fellow hikers.

Tradition dictates that other hikers confer it, but HYOH dictates you can essentially do whatever you want.

i picked my own

HikerMom58
02-07-2013, 19:40
What's wrong with Sir Fartsalot? A week or so of typical trail food does funny things to my stomach and I get, um, gassy. It got to the point where my girlfriend would hug me and I'd fart releasing a not too pleasant smell, just like my insect namesake!

Ha Ha!! That is really funny!!!!! I love ur username of Stink Bug!! You should post more- seeing ur name would bring a smile.:D

I vote to have it conferred upon you by fellow "clowns".. I mean hikers.. sorry alxflwrs. :D

WingedMonkey
02-07-2013, 19:59
If you actually do a thru hike, the first register you come to will be a good time for your mind to start thinking..."how do I want to sign this?"

And then the next register you may re-think "how do I want to sign this?"

At some point it will become the way you want it to be.

sgt easy
02-07-2013, 20:34
YES - kudos to the sir farts-a-lot idea! I've been using sgt easy since my squad of (armed) hikers gave it to me back in 1968; but for my upcoming solo, I'd be happy to have the gaseous moniker, or any other fitting name..

Almost There
02-07-2013, 21:25
I started with a picked name, and the second night out, I got my trail name from a two time thru-hiker...meant alot more. Let your name find you, it will make for a much better story!

douginky
02-08-2013, 09:42
It sure is easier to start with a trailname ... you will meet so many people in the beginning and probably never see most of them again so it doesn't matter for them, but those few who may want to keep track of you won't know who you are if you wait until someone gives one farther down the trail...
Old Man River

Easily remedied by signing the first few registers after being christened with "Trail-name", the hiker formerly known as "Previous Name"

alxflwrs
02-08-2013, 11:20
Easily remedied by signing the first few registers after being christened with "Trail-name", the hiker formerly known as "Previous Name"

I like this idea. Hah. I've got another year before I start my thru (May 2014) but I've just had a few ideas that have stuck in my head, but I really do want it to be conferred by others. Fate will do what she does best I suppose!
Thanks everyone, hah!

alxflwrs
02-08-2013, 11:21
I also want one that's never been used before (by checking the records with the ATC) and the one I like has never been used....but again, fate will do what she does--I am just a mere mortal.

VTATHiker
02-08-2013, 11:43
I started sobo with a trail name that I chose. It was already based on something significant and it had a funny story behind it. As a late-start sobo I was happy that I began with a trail name because you could go most of the trail without one. Two or three fellow sobos didn't pick up names until just about Harpers Ferry. That's not necessarily a problem, but I was glad I had mine to sign in the registers the whole way. That said, I was open to picking up a trail-derived name if a good one came along... never did.

Fur Queue
02-08-2013, 13:25
I will not accept a trail name...nor will I respond to anyone that confers one upon me.

rocketsocks
02-08-2013, 13:40
I will not accept a trail name...nor will I respond to anyone that confers one upon me.Ok Francis...taker easy now!:)

max patch
02-08-2013, 14:46

I hereby dub ye "Sir Vacillating".

You're welcome.

Blackbeard30
02-08-2013, 16:01

I definitely think it can be earned on a section hike. Since I don't get out there that often, my chances of earning one are reduced.

BirdBrain
02-10-2013, 19:07
I will not accept a trail name...nor will I respond to anyone that confers one upon me.

I dub thee Flatlander. Phew. That was easy.

NLaeger
02-11-2013, 02:08
I am starting my thru hike this year with my trail name that I gained on my section hike last year! But I am also open to whatever the trail has to offer me. My trail name fit me last year as a section hike but it may not fit for my thru...Go with the flow and if you feel like you need one before you hit the trail that's your deal!

Toolshed
02-11-2013, 08:27
If you take your trail name now, you will select it based upon your intentions, beleifs and experiences. If you allow someone else to select it, they will select it based on your actions. I prefer the latter to give me a better insight on my life and impact on those around me.:welcome

OzJacko
02-11-2013, 08:51
I'm a believer in getting it out there generally.
Jacko is my nickname but it has good memories for me as it is used by my friends and in friendly environments and has a 40year history with me.
It would take some convincing for me to take on a replacement but I'm not nay saying.

I think a trail name is something that one must be comfortable with. A name used by others without your consent/knowledge to me is just another nickname.
When adopting a name I would think it would be distinctly preferable for it come "from the trail" but with a happy memory. I have seen many that clearly do not but I am sure people regretted them later.
I believe many adopt a name before going to the trail in fear of getting one they don't want. My advice to all would be to relax, don't rush to name people and don't try and foist an unwanted name on someone. Pre selected names tend to be repetitive and based on whatever books or movies are popular with the hiker. To me the best names are based on events or characteristics of the hiker.

OzJacko
02-11-2013, 08:56
Given your WB name, that's fine with me. I doubt we would enjoy communicating anyway.

jeffmeh
02-11-2013, 09:59
I dub thee Flatlander. Phew. That was easy.

Brunswick is very nice, but hardly qualifies one to bestow a Flatlander moniker, lol. Incidentally, I get up there regularly to watch the daughter run track.

rocketsocks
02-11-2013, 10:33
I'm a believer in getting it out there generally.
Jacko is my nickname but it has good memories for me as it is used by my friends and in friendly environments and has a 40year history with me.
It would take some convincing for me to take on a replacement but I'm not nay saying.

I think a trail name is something that one must be comfortable with. A name used by others without your consent/knowledge to me is just another nickname.
When adopting a name I would think it would be distinctly preferable for it come "from the trail" but with a happy memory. I have seen many that clearly do not but I am sure people regretted them later.
I believe many adopt a name before going to the trail in fear of getting one they don't want. My advice to all would be to relax, don't rush to name people and don't try and foist an unwanted name on someone. Pre selected names tend to be repetitive and based on whatever books or movies are popular with the hiker. To me the best names are based on events or characteristics of the hiker.agree, nicknames happen....that's the magic!

I've worked with many "this is me cousin Jack, he's lookin for work";)

QiWiz
02-11-2013, 13:37
i picked my own

+1
if he can do it, anyone can

RockDoc
02-12-2013, 00:07
Be careful of what you wish for, if you want a name conveyed to you by others on the trail.

Some ladies from Bellingham, WA were immediately named the "hamsters", much to their disapproval.

A kid (trail name taken later was "the kid") needed to vomit in the van as Josh was driving us up the curvy roads to Springer Mtn at a very high rate of speed. He suddenly yelled "PULL OVER" and stepped out and vomited. When he got back in the van I told him that his new trail name was "Pull over", but it did not stick for some reason.

Another Kevin
02-12-2013, 18:03
A kid (trail name taken later was "the kid") needed to vomit in the van as Josh was driving us up the curvy roads to Springer Mtn at a very high rate of speed. He suddenly yelled "PULL OVER" and stepped out and vomited. When he got back in the van I told him that his new trail name was "Pull over", but it did not stick for some reason.

I have heard of hikers named Charles and Bartholomew who got the names "Up Chuck" and "Barf" after similar incidents.