PDA

View Full Version : This guy is my hero

Terry7
02-07-2013, 19:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uEMBB1oU4I

hikerboy57
02-07-2013, 19:17
i think hes a hero to a lot of us:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90786-Swami-Calendar-Year-tRiple-Crown!&highlight=swami

hauptman
02-08-2013, 05:48
He's 40 something. I love hiking, but what about a social life? I hope he doesn't want kids, because it's getting a little late. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I couldn't spend years alone in the wilderness; if nothing else, my libido would force me out.

nitewalker
02-08-2013, 07:17
He's 40 something. I love hiking, but what about a social life? I hope he doesn't want kids, because it's getting a little late. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I couldn't spend years alone in the wilderness; if nothing else, my libido would force me out.

for some of us this is true but for others it is not true. everyone is made a little different and thats why he can do what he does and you cant do what he does. that does not make him better or worse than the next person..introverts and extroverts are all over the map...

Lone Wolf
02-08-2013, 07:49
hero? matter of opinion

OzJacko
02-08-2013, 08:18
hero? matter of opinion
Agreed.
I'm envious and have admiration but heroes don't do what they want, they do what other people want.
I'm never likely to be a hero.

Terry7
02-08-2013, 08:19
This guy is a great hiker and seems to be having a good life. I used the word hero because I was having fun, you cant always tell that when some one is writing. I should have put a smiley face after it. :)

vtrek
02-08-2013, 08:31
Wow! That is rather cool but I admit that I wouldn't want to do it alone. If I could get my wife to agree that may be a bit different. Oh who am I kidding, I would never even think of doing it. I am definitely going to check out his site just to see pictures and get a few adventure stories. Hero? In a loose definition, okay. Definitely gotta give him kudos for doing it!

hikerboy57
02-08-2013, 08:32
hero? matter of opinion
you're right lw, its just walking.
i was thinking more in the romantic sense of "wouldnt it be nice if i would do something like that"?
yeah, no hero.

ajwatson
02-08-2013, 08:37
Maybe not a hero, but definitely inspirational IMO

Lone Wolf
02-08-2013, 09:23
you're right lw, its just walking.

and all it takes is time, money and the desire.

HikerMom58
02-08-2013, 09:49
Yeah, I like this guy because it doesn't seem like he did it for anyone but himself. There are people that really desire to be a "hero". All the attention they receive is where they get their motivation for doing what they do. If I'm reading this guy correctly, that's not the case at all. I believe his motivation comes from a good place and it shows.:cool:

Son Driven
02-08-2013, 10:03
56 & just getting started. The creator only knows how many miles I will log in the days ahead.

Father of three sons 30, 27, & 25

Malto
02-08-2013, 10:08
and all it takes is time, money and the desire.

While you are correct in general, you are way oversimplifying what Swami accomplished in his particular case. Take a hundred hikers that have the time, money and desire and I would estimate no more than ten percent would have a prayer of finishing not only the Triple Crown in a single year but the whole twelve hike series in the 18 months. (go back and look at some of the early hikes in the series, PNT and SHR in 2011 was no picnic.) This was a bit more than "just walking". There is a physical and mental toughness that is to be respected, few have it.

And hikermom, yes he did not do it for the publicity, in fact he has shied away from it. He wasn't chasing Sqeakys record, he actually didn't even realize how his time stacked up to Squeaky until well into the AT.

imscotty
02-08-2013, 10:21
Wow, the thing that impressed me was how fit he seemed after all that hiking. I would like to know what he eats on the trail. And it is also impressive how happy and at peace he seems. This is not a grind for him; he clearly loves it.

RF_ace
02-08-2013, 12:02
No surprise this guy is from Oz, tough bunch down there

MDSection12
02-08-2013, 12:08
Agreed.
I'm envious and have admiration but heroes don't do what they want, they do what other people want.
I'm never likely to be a hero.

I'm seriously impressed with this post. Great thoughts.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-09-2013, 22:22
walking is walking

OzJacko
02-09-2013, 22:25
No surprise this guy is from Oz, tough bunch down there
Ahem... not all of us.;)

fiddlehead
02-10-2013, 00:20
Awesome! ............

Carry-On
02-10-2013, 00:44
I like him because he was friendly and talked to everybody on the trail with a big smile and didn't try to preach but was willing to answer questions and seemed happy to help anybody who was trying to learn. I'm lucky I got to visit with him for a while at Woods Hole when we stayed there the same night in December.